BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132443 - 07/30/10 10:03 AM Re: Sending it in the channell [Re: RichL]
cloppbeast Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/Male/Pennsylvania
The pro watched me for a few frames last night and gave me some pointers.

1)Aim with thumb. I need to point my thumb at my target. For whatever reason, I was trying to do some fancy stuff with my hand to help my release. My thumb was pointed well to the inside. This issue wasn't causing me to push the ball, but it probably caused other inconsistencies. By the way, the fancy stuff wasn't helping my release at all, so I was much obliged.

2)Square up. He said I need to square up my shoulders in my stance. I'm not sure this is really necessary, though. I feel comfortable with my shoulders open. RichL, you mentioned Chris Barnes has open shoulders on occasion. Is it ok to have my shoulders open in my stance?

3)Chicken wing. Occasionally I'll start to turn my hand early in my swing causing me to rip at the ball to catch up - almost like a chicken wing type of thing. Ultimately, this is what was causing me to push the ball. I know that, because when he pointed out to me, I recognized how it felt differently and it brought up embarrassing visions of gutter balls. It's not something that I do on every roll, so the fact that I can identify it now, based solely on how my swing/release feels, will allow my to correct it. This is what I focused on for the rest of practice, and I got to the point by my last two games where I didn't throw one gutter ball.

4)Mental issues. I just need to loosen up and swing at my target. He said I look a little tight, like I have like a thousand things going through my mind. I corrected him, "Actually, I only have one thing on my mind: don't roll it in the gutter." lol. He made his point, though. I mean, I'm out here to have fun, I don't need to be bowling like I have a stick up my (explicit).

Although he didn't mention it, I'm almost positive I have a timing issue, also - early timing. I kind of have fast feet. He didn't mention this to me - not that he didn't notice - probably because there were other things more important for me to work on. This is an issue that can be ironed out later, after I correct more pressing concerns.

But, 3 things I didn't hear him say: free up my swing, stop lofting the ball, don't spin the ball. These are the tips he gave me last time, areas which I've been working on for the last 3 weeks. It's always going to be a work in progress, I know, and all I can really do is work on certain areas at a time. It's good to know I'm improving on what I've been focusing on.

I apologize wholeheartedly for the long winded post. I tried to make it interesting. If you made it this far, you probably read the whole thing, and I thank you.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#132446 - 07/30/10 10:27 AM Re: Sending it in the channell [Re: cloppbeast]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Hey clopp, how many things can you work on at once? 4 may be too many. You local pro probably did you a favor by not overburdening you with correction. But, identified the things you could work on quickly.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#132449 - 07/30/10 12:18 PM Re: Sending it in the channell [Re: Dennis Michael]
cloppbeast Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/Male/Pennsylvania
With each shot I work on just one thing.

I do appreciate that he gave me a few things to work on. He doesn't charge or anything, so I don't expect him to take a bunch of time out of his day to help me. He just gives me a few pointers and then he'll check back in a few monthes to see how I'm doing and provide some more feedback then.

#132675 - 08/03/10 10:23 PM Re: Sending it in the channell [Re: cloppbeast]
13strikes Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 58/M/Philippines
hi!Clopp I'll go with the squared thing, you might be opening your right shoulder during the backswing but never put it squared back during the release. By not coming back squared you are facing the gutter. try to come back to squared position and bring your followthrough up and back besides your right eye (for right handed) hope it helps just another perspective of the game.

13strikes

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.