BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132193 - 07/25/10 11:32 AM Thoughts On This Style?
Ryan_W Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: AZ
I've been bowling competitively for about 10 years now. I started out out with the no-thumb release, then went to half thumb/Tom Smallwood style, to basically a style where I still have a partial thumb but don't really cradle anymore.
Just looking for any thoughts, criticism, or tips anyone might have for me.

Me Bowling

Edited by Ryan_W (07/25/10 11:33 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#132194 - 07/25/10 12:10 PM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: Ryan_W]
lakredrai Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/vancouver, wa, usa
you are the first person I have seen that has even less backswing than me. what is your average ?
Columbia Freeze
Columbia White Dot

#132196 - 07/25/10 12:14 PM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: lakredrai]
Ryan_W Offline
Bantam

currently 195

#132203 - 07/25/10 02:25 PM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: Ryan_W]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Why are you using this type of grip? Do you think this is the only way you can hook the ball, or does the ball just not fit your hand properly? It seems to be killing your arm swing.

#132207 - 07/25/10 02:58 PM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: CoachJim]
Ryan_W Offline
Bantam

The ball has been drilled for my hand and fits perfectly. When I insert my thumb all the way in the ball, it makes my back swing easier but I can't seem to get the right rotation on the ball and it doesn't hook. If I try hard to really lift the ball with my fingertips to put rotation on it, it really strains and hurts my wrist.

#132226 - 07/26/10 03:06 AM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: Ryan_W]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I do have one question. Does only your Virtual Energy not hook when you fully insert your thumb or does your other equipment act the same way?

As for Tom Smallwood's style, personally it's a little tweak on palm bowling, so I don't see it as revolutionary breakthrough or anything. And compared to your technique his is drastically different.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#132229 - 07/26/10 05:15 AM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: Ryan_W]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
The ball has been drilled for my hand and fits perfectly. When I insert my thumb all the way in the ball, it makes my back swing easier but I can't seem to get the right rotation on the ball and it doesn't hook.

There is more to the game than rotation, just getting rotation on the ball with no direction is not as good as no rotation and hitting your target. Sounds like you are trying to learn to run before you can walk, you might want to take a step back and take some lessons and do some exercises to strengthen your wrist.

Quote:
If I try hard to really lift the ball with my fingertips to put rotation on it, it really strains and hurts my wrist.

Pain is an indication that your ball doesn't fit your hand properly, or is too heavy. Usually pain like this means your span is too long.

You can tell if your span is correct by placing your thumb in the ball and laying your fingers across the holes. The leading edge (side closest to the thumb) of the finger hole should be no longer than half way between the first and second knuckle of the middle and ring finger without stretching your hand, it should be relaxed. It can be a little shorter than that, but not shorter than one quarter from the second knuckle.

If you already have a ball you can tell if your span is right by putting your hand in the ball and see if the fingernails are pressing the back of the holes, a properly fit ball will not have the fingers pressing into the back of the hole.

On my equipment, I can put my thumb in first and still be able to put my fingers in the ball, I donít advocate bowling like this, but it is a good test to see if your span is too long.

#132344 - 07/28/10 03:57 PM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Ryan_W Offline
Bantam

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
I do have one question. Does only your Virtual Energy not hook when you fully insert your thumb or does your other equipment act the same way?

As for Tom Smallwood's style, personally it's a little tweak on palm bowling, so I don't see it as revolutionary breakthrough or anything. And compared to your technique his is drastically different.

Happens with any ball I throw. And, yes, my style is now different compared to a "Smallwood stlye", but I used to throw it like that.

#132349 - 07/28/10 05:37 PM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: Ryan_W]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: Ryan_W
Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan

Happens with any ball I throw. And, yes, my style is now different compared to a "Smallwood stlye", but I used to throw it like that.

If that's the case, then there could be a few things to look at. The first and most likely is that your span and/or thumbhole are off. It's either too tight so the thumb isn't exiting right. Or it is too loose, and you have to grab the ball so insanely tight that you can't impart the right rotation and torque upon releasing the ball. Lastly, if the span is stretched too far that can take some reaction out of the ball and when combined with a few other things it can drastically hurt your reaction.

If your grip and pitches are alright then it could be a release issue as well. You have to impart some more or less axis tilt and/or rotation to get the different balls to work and usually the more tilt you have the less hook you'll get and the less axis rotation you have the less hook you get. So you might have to find the right mix to make it work or have a coach help you figure that out. There's also muscle tension in the swing that can lead to reduced reaction out of a bowling ball as well. So freeing up the swing could help get the desired reaction that you want. Lastly, there is ball setup and the lane conditions. I don't know what your arsenal looks like but I'd think you'd get some reaction out of them somewhere on the lane. Perhaps where you are playing currently doesn't match up with your style and you may need to find a new line.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#152413 - 06/14/11 08:22 PM Re: Thoughts On This Style? [Re: Ryan_W]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Do you swing with your fingers forward?

On a side note, just today I was considering trying a partial thumb grip with my two-handed approach. I'm finding more two-handers that use their thumbs. I don't really need it; I'm just in the mood to experiment.

A thumb indentation, which was another thought, would fall in the track area, so that's out. Then I thought, I could just try some tacky tape on my thumb. A tacky glove is actually nice to use, but again, I don't really need it.

Now back to Ryan_W.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.