BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109057 - 12/03/09 01:18 AM Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question
dougb Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/Oakland, CA, USA
My guess is there are people who used these balls back in their heyday. Having used one myself, I don't understand why Hammer ever phased these out after taking over Faball.

Recently I picked up an original Faball Blue Hammer for dirt cheap ($30). The ball was plugged and resurfaced, so I had it drilled label (pin at about 2 o'clock).

This ball has replaced everything else in my bag except my spare ball. I've used it on everything from fresh and heavy THS to light oil and the ball outperforms all of my other equipment. I'm sad to say that I've got some top shelf balls gathering dust in my bag because I bought a 20 year-old ball that replaced them.

As a medium revs/speed stroker who likes to play an outside line, this ball is my dream. I can stand a good 5-15 boards right of any other ball in my bag with this baby -- as well as most bowlers on the lanes. Lay it up the 1st or 2nd arrow and watch it do it's work. It also works well straight up the 3rd.

Carry is phenomenal. It keeps the pins low and delivers.

Over/under? Fried heads with flooded backends? Reverse blocks? Not a problem. The ball cuts through anything and never jumps when it hits dry. The ball stays true to it's course on the backend. My ability to consistently hit the pocket has dramatically improved and so have my scores, as I've been finding myself in the 200 club frequently with this ball.

I don't know if it's urethane cover, but this ball is absolutely predictable and so very, very smooth.

Anyway, I love it so much I just bought another one. I'm looking for recommendations on how to lay out the second one to get a different look.

I bowl leagues and open play, and this ball seems to be all I need. So I'm not sure what I want it to do... maybe read the lanes earlier? In addition to the Hammer, right now I carry a Lane #1 Retro Buzzsaw THS (1000 polished), a Storm T-Road Pearl (1500 polished), and my spare ball.

Thanks for your suggestions.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#109085 - 12/03/09 12:33 PM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: dougb]
Leopard11 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/MD/USA
Way before my time.. well bowling time that is(at 15 I was doing much dumber things but did bowl a lot just not seriously heh). Think that is the ball that Danny Wiseman used to win his first title in Baltimore, at Woodlawn. Atleast that's what is commented on the YT video but I havent a clue.

16lb Columbia Reaction Roll
15lb 900 Global Creature s40
14lb Brunswick Fury Pearl

#109094 - 12/03/09 04:34 PM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: dougb]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:

I don't know if it's urethane cover, but this ball is absolutely predictable and so very, very smooth.

It is a urethane cover, so drill the second one the same, but change the surface, keep one dull and one shiny. You already have a drilling you like and seems to work for you, there is not much difference in drilling patterns as this ball is before they came out with high dif cores, so surface will matter more.

#109103 - 12/03/09 05:48 PM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: CoachJim]
dougb Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks CoachJim, that makes a lot of sense. I always forget about the difference surface adjustments can make. My driller recommended putting the pin at 3 o'clock for more of an arc...

I bowled my best series today with this ball. I started out with my HyRoad, and after leaving two ugly pocket splits in the 3rd and 4th frame I pulled out the Hammer and didn't look back. Ended up throwing a 189, 223, and 221 for 633 total (24 pins better than my best). Even figured out with a hand adjustment I can use this for right side corner spares and it will go straight. What a great ball.

#131826 - 07/16/10 11:00 AM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: dougb]
Chanin Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Virginia
Originally Posted By: dougb
The ball was plugged and resurfaced, so I had it drilled label (pin at about 2 o'clock).

dougb: I've had a Blue Hammer for years, but can't find the correct drill layout for my syle (simular to yours). Can you post a picture of your layout so I can take it to my Pro Shop with me?

Thanks in advance.

#131827 - 07/16/10 11:14 AM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: Chanin]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I never threw one- I was an Ebonite black Turbo guy at the time. I don't remember bowling anywhere where there wasn't at least one or two of these on the rack, though. Many of these balls were pin-in, and when I say pin-in, I mean the pin was right dead in the center of the CG. I saw a lot of those drilled axis with the extra hole either through the CG or a couple of inches below. If you can get ahold of one like that, try that drill pattern. Very predictable, heavy rolling, arc reaction. I do remember these were fairly hard to polish- they didn't shine up too easily, so I don't think I'd be shooting for a high gloss finish on your 2nd ball.

Bowl up a Storm!

#131938 - 07/19/10 01:11 AM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: Fin09]
dougb Offline
Bracket Donor

Sorry, I haven't been on this site for awhile. Here are two pics:

#131941 - 07/19/10 02:11 AM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: dougb]
Stormin Norman Fan Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42 / M / Independence, Mo
LOL, welcome to the "old" world of hammer bowling balls. I too have one of these blue beasts, one of the originals. I bought it brand new and it is over 20 years old, but it still performs as well as some of the newer equipment. (and I have never resurfaced it either. It is an oil soaked machine)

I bowl at a house where the lanes break down fairly quick. (probably because the league avg. is 209, a lot of high rollers) My reactive equipment was so jumpy around the middle of the second game, I thought I'd dig the old urethane ball out, thinking it wouldn't react as strong as the new stuff. What a surprise, it hooked just as hard as the new equipment. Needless to say, it didn't help out my cause, so I just made different adjustments and ended up fine.

It just goes to show how dependable these balls were back then and apparently, to this day. I've also got an original pink hammer, serial# 9up000104. 300s & 800s with both balls. I've given away just about every other ball I've owned in the past, except these two. They will probably be buried with me.

I would do what coach said and just polish the other one to get a different reaction. That was the key with those old urethanes. If you have the patience for it, you can get a good shine on it. I've seen them polished so much before, that it looked like glass. (and still hit like a truck) Enjoy your newfound "old" toy.

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."

- Michael Jordan -

#132063 - 07/21/10 10:00 AM Re: Blue Hammer mini-review and layout question [Re: dougb]
Chanin Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Virginia
Thanks for the pics dougb! I'll let you know how she rolls after the redrill.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/19/17 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.