BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131971 - 07/19/10 07:11 PM Whitepuffin, all comments welcome.
whitepuffin Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 34/m/Horsham, England.
the following videos (assuming I can make this work crazy ) were all taken while I was practising on Sunday afternoon.

The first video is from behind, one from the side and also one of a close up of my release. any comment/tips/constructive criticism would be appreciated.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF4I0QwZz4U [/video]

Edited by whitepuffin (07/19/10 07:16 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#131974 - 07/19/10 07:47 PM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: whitepuffin]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
The side view should be on the ball side with no obstructions of view, like the ball returns.

As for critique I think you are starting the ball too late. It should start moving at the same time your left foot starts to move. It looks like you don't start it until the third foot has already touched and you are moving into your third step. This leads to you pulling the ball down through the back swing and effects your ability to post at the end. Well that and the lack of slide for the momentum you have going to the line.
HS:763

#131977 - 07/19/10 07:57 PM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
The obvious thing is that your hoping at the line.

#131979 - 07/19/10 08:09 PM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: B-Hammer]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
definite hop. late with the pushaway. low rev release, which is okay.

All of your momentum should go into the ball at the foul line.
Very good form, knees bent, swing plane. Good stuff. Keep working at it.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#131980 - 07/19/10 08:12 PM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: B-Hammer]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Your quick steps get you to the line earlier than the ball. Causes you to speed up the ball to catch up and ends in a hop.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#132012 - 07/20/10 08:29 AM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
doppelganger Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 39/M/Lithuania
>Calvin Pistorio wrote:
>As for critique I think you are starting the ball too late. It should start moving at the same time your left foot starts to move.

Ah, that's one issue which has been bothering me for a few months now. I used to have this late ball start as well, but my new coach told me to work on starting the ball in the beginning of my second step. However, as I watch some PBA videos, about 80% of pro bowlers start the ball only after they are moving into the third step or even later!! How come it does not lead the to pulling the ball down through the back swing and does not affect the ability to post at the end?? I randomly selected a video of e.g. Chris Barnes - and here you are, the ball moves only after the second step is completed:

Please, any insight on this, anyone?

#132014 - 07/20/10 09:07 AM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: doppelganger]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I do not think that the hop is caused by late timing, in my opinion the hopping is caused by the upper body tilt being excessive.

Your upper body should have a slight tilt forward, about 15 degrees. You are at about 35 degrees, this causes the slide foot to not distribute weight across the entire bottom of the sole, thus resulting in pressure points. Because there are areas of the sole that are taking all of the weight they cause the slide to stop faster because the weight is not evenly distributed, so as the slide stops and the upper body continues to move (inertia) our natural reflex is to "hop" in order to keep the foot under our center of gravity. As of right now without hopping the foot would be behind your center of gravity and you would fall forward.

I do agree that the steps are quick and there is probably some muscle bringing the ball down towards the release, but I think the biggest fault (which is ok, we all have them) in your game right now is your tilt. If you can get a little more upright at the line you will be able to impart more momentum into the ball instead of into the floor as well as get better balance at the line and save your knees (and other joints) all in the process.

Its a win-win!

Good luck and have fun.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#132015 - 07/20/10 09:10 AM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Dopppleganger,

Chris Barnes does not have a "push away" in the normal sense, that is why he starts the ball later. If you pay attention to the time the ball leaves the hand rather than the time the ball starts its movement that is a better judge for timing. Because everyone starts the ball at different locations relative to their own body, the start point will vary to some degree. If you watch, Barnes actually holds the ball still and removes his left hand from the ball, allowing it to loop down from the elbow, right as his third step begins.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#132033 - 07/20/10 11:30 AM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: whitepuffin]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Welcome to the site. I will start with the first video.
Your swing is away from your body. This is caused by bad posture from start to finish. To improve your posture, start by aligning your head, your left foot and the ball in your stance. When you take your first left foot step, try crossing it over in front of your right foot, this will allow the ball to swing directly under your chin, this promotes a swing that will be in line with your head and target line (assuming you are lining up to it properly).

Your slide is not heading back toward your target, it is sliding off to the right, this is causing the hop step because your body weight is to the left of your slide foot.

Your shoulder position through the swing is cutting your swing short. When you start the ball try pointing your right arm toward your target line to your break point, this will open your shoulders and allow the ball to swing your arm without pinching your rotator cuff at the top of the back swing. Wait for the ball to reach your left hip, then pull your right arm back as the ball comes through to the release. Opening your shoulders will promote a full swing and should prevent you cutting off your follow through like you are now.

From the second side video (needs to be shot from the side the ball is on for future reference). Your timing looks fine, that is the best part of your game. The problem is you are not getting the left knee to bend into the slide which is causing you to release the ball down into the lane instead of smoothly onto the lane. Using your legs more will promote a stronger release and better accuracy.

The third video: Your release is fairly weak your wrist is broken and your hand is already on the side of the ball. This is because your shoulders are closed from start to finish, opening the shoulders and using the right arm to do the work will promote keeping your hand behind the ball to the release and the rotating of the shoulders as the ball comes through the release will help put rotation on the ball at the right point. As it is your hand is already on the side of the ball, there is nothing more you can do to the ball and your thumb is still in the ball, so it's pretty much dead on arrival.

#132050 - 07/20/10 05:00 PM Re: Whitepuffin, all comments welcome. [Re: CoachJim]
whitepuffin Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 34/m/Horsham, England.
Thanks everyone for your comments I really do appreciate you all taking the time to look over things and reply. every comment is taken on board.

The hop has only recently come into my game so want to eradicate that quickly so that it does not bed in so to speak, and am arranging my first coaching session

hope to post some new videos soon to see if there is any improvement after a few weeks of implementing your suggestions.

whitePuffin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by BOSStull - 33 minutes 3 seconds ago
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.