BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131813 - 07/16/10 07:15 AM How to enlarge thumb hole
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
I don't have Pro Shop tools and I want to enlarge a bit the thumb hole. Or better to make it more oval.

What house furniture can I use to do that ?

I don't know like knife or what...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#131814 - 07/16/10 07:49 AM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: Vini]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
These are not too expensive, and can be ordered on most bowling sites.

Attachments
bowlersdream_2115_60580204.gif

bowlersdream_2115_60595520.gif

bowlersdream_2115_60609322.gif

bowlersdream_2115_134604756.gif

Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#131815 - 07/16/10 08:03 AM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: Dennis Michael]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I use a round file I bought at a garage sale for 25 cents.
The workout tool is too expensive for me.
Best way to enlarge your thumb hole is to take it to a Pro Shop. The guy knows what hes doing and can get the fit exact.

As for me, in this humid heat, I have had to enlarge my holes weekly, and now that I have huge calluses all over my thumb Ive had to get them drilled extra large. P*sses me off. Really upset about this. I can't use a single IT slug I brought from the cool state, and nobody here knows what IT is when I ask about it.

Just one thing - NEVER use your ball if your thumb hole is too tight. You'll just wind up with calluses that put you on this endless cycle of enlarging the thumb hole.

One other thing I do now to combat the humidity is to file the sides of my thumb every couple of days, to get the calluses under control. I also bought a Brunswick Thumb Saver nylon thumb sleeve.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#131831 - 07/16/10 11:51 AM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
If you want to enlarge your thumb hole, I strongly suggest you take it to the Pro Shop and have it drilled 1/64th of an inch larger.

Using hand tools or a bevel sander will make it very difficult to duplicate the thumb hole in another ball unless you have a thumb mold created.

Also, overuse of a bevel sander can produce large, ugly, flat bevels that reduce a bowler's feel and accuracy and require the ball to be plugged and redrilled to be fixed.
House: 239
Sport: 198

16# Sync, HyperCell, IQ Tour, IQ Tour Pearl, Hy-Road, Hy-Road Pearl, Pitch Black, Natural Pearl, Ice

Advice is offered free, as-is, for info only, not a substitute for prof. assistance

#131835 - 07/16/10 12:11 PM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: Joe Bowler]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
if you are going to try it yourself (still not recomended without the workout tool) you must make sure you open it up uniformly down the entire depth of the thumb hole. if not you will either open up the hole only at the top and the ball will fall off your thumb alot. Or you will catch the edge and hang up on the ball every time. Either way you will end up at the Pro Shop spending alot more getting the thumb redrilled.
Slingshot

#131837 - 07/16/10 12:25 PM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: Handful]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
Thnx guys !

To clear smth out:

There is NO Pro-Shop in my country.
And I just want to open up a bit lateral.
I was thinking maybe with a knife or some sanded paper.

However I am getting the workout tool.

#131839 - 07/16/10 01:47 PM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: Vini]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
The SIDES of my thumb hole got too tight this summer and I just used a piece of 2000 grit sand paper, don't really need to take a lot out, I went really slow. Now I only did this because I had league and the pro-shop was on vacation, plus it was the sides that were too tight not the top and bottom which to me are more crucial.

#131894 - 07/17/10 09:06 PM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: B-Hammer]
Barronius Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 48/M/Alvin, TX, USA
SpareMe wrote: "As for me, in this humid heat, I have had to enlarge my holes weekly, and now that I have huge calluses all over my thumb"

================================================================

I have a similar problem...when I got my ball at the Pro Shop in the bowling alley (a Brunswick Slingshot), the guy put inserts into the fingers and thumbhole. I am really happy with the fingertip inserts, however, the thumbhole gives me problems. The first couple of times I bowled (hadn't bowled in a looong time .. i.e. - 17 years), my thumb swelled up larger than my other thumb. So after bowling a few games, the side of my thumb really hurt (and developed a callus-like blister). However, after a few games, the insert would "warm up" and it wouldn't hurt. So I took it back to the guy and had him make the hole bigger. Now it only takes one game (or two) before the thing warms up and feels okay.

However, I'm thinking about getting the insert in the thumb taken out, because my thumb is still swollen (especially around the knuckle area). A guy at work bought the same ball, but didn't have any inserts put in the thumb and his feels very comfortable to me. But I don't want to take it to the alley's Pro Shop because I honestly don't feel like the guy knows what he is doing.

But the main question I have would be....is it okay to have the thumb insert taken out? I know the guy superglued it in there, so would it be a big deal or an expensive procedure? My secondary question would be...will my thumb every shrink back to normal? laugh

#131911 - 07/18/10 08:01 AM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: Barronius]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Yours is a perfect case for the Inter-changeable thumb systems. You can get inserts of varied sizes and switch to the appropriate size as needed.

My problem with enlarging the hole now, is, as SpareMe says, his thumb swells this time of year due to heat and humidity. If you enlarge it, what are you going to do in the Fall? Put loads of tape in to fill the hole?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#131929 - 07/18/10 08:00 PM Re: How to enlarge thumb hole [Re: Vini]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
If you want to oval your thumb hole just a little here's what I do:

You will need a piece of ~100 grit sandpaper and a pencil. First rub the high sides of your thumb with the pencil tip side to mark it with graphite. Carefully insert your thumb into the ball thumb hole as you normally would when bowling. Now take your thumb out and see if you left graphite markings in the sides of the thumb hole. If not, repeat until you clearly see where the sides of your thumb are rubbing in the hole. Now wrap a small piece of the sandpaper around the pencil and use that to workout the sides of the thumb hole where the pencil-graphite marks are in an up/down motion as if it was a rat-tail (round) file.

I'm sure you can come up with more creative ways to do this but for me that's what I use and it works fine. Just do a little sanding at a time and keep remarking your thumb as necessary to make sure you have a good fit.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Need help picking angles from dual angle system
by B-Hammer - Today at 01:14 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
sand baggers
by TheDemolitionMan - Yesterday at 06:48 PM
Storm Optimus Video Ball Review
by bigcall - Yesterday at 05:20 PM
Storm balls.
by Rocket Jr - Yesterday at 12:24 PM
Building an Arsenal
by goneal32 - Yesterday at 10:26 AM
is there a website to see the top selling balls?
by ngvjeff - Yesterday at 10:00 AM
Tournaments 2013-2014
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - Yesterday at 09:09 AM
is there a good site for overseas balls
by champ - 09/16/14 05:52 PM
Best week of bowling ever
by Richie V. - 09/15/14 11:38 PM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - 09/15/14 11:27 PM
Storm Roto Grip Match Maker Live
by BOSStull - 09/15/14 10:24 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.