BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131481 - 07/09/10 05:54 PM Foot sideways at foul line
Michael James Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Alabama
At practice today I noticed on my slide my slide foot is about at a 45 degree angle at the foul line. It didn't seem to affect my shot, 200 avg for 8 games. But after about the 6th game my pinkie toe started hurting and when I got back home I found out I had wore a blister and ripped it, about the size of a dime.

I believe I have been doing this since I got back into bowling. But never had any problem until today which is why I noticed it. My shoes fit fine.

What can I do to help keep my foot straight? The last 2 games I tried to focus on keeping it straight but couldn't.
Brunswick C (system) 3.5 #16
Columbia 300 Blue Dot #16
Etonic ESS Interchangeable RH
--------------------------------
Since returning to the game:
Current avg: 189
Last series: 680 (223,220,237)
High game: 267

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#131483 - 07/09/10 07:22 PM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: Michael James]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
I am sorry I dont have any advice to fix your issue but just last night I noticed my son doing the same thing. his was pointing to the left at post up looked to me like it may hurt his ankle.

I asked the pro to watch it and for a possible fix. The pro said that Jordan was getting up on his toes so well his heel was was actually a bit late stopping his slide and the momentum of the slide was forcing his foot sideways so he can stay balanced.

His advice was to leave it alone since it wasnt turning until well after his release.

Again I know this doesnt help you and I do plan on asking his coach about it when we see him, it just amazes me how many times I see something then get on here and there is a post about the very same thing.

I will post back after we talk to his coach if he has any tips on changing it. I am sure some one on here will have something to help you.
Mutant Cell

#131488 - 07/09/10 07:51 PM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: Rocket]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Rocket, what you are describing is different from what Michael seems to be describing at least the way I am reading it. Michael's toes are pointing inward. What you are describing with Jordan is actually a good thing and helps to promote balance. Look at some of the female bowlers like Missy Bellider or Stephanie Nation. Even Wes Malott's slide foot is like that.

It's not so much the relation to the foul line but to the body. Pointing straight ahead or out gives a more stable base and also less strain on the knee. Pointing inward causes balance issues as well as adds strain on the knee for the torque and twisting.
HS:763

#131490 - 07/09/10 08:14 PM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Thanks for clearing that up Cal, makes me feel better about Jordan, but guess what mine points inward ( I actually focused on that) and I do have knee pain a lot if I dont wear my knee band. I know a lot of that is also associated with my minimal to non existent slide as well.

Thanks again and didnt mean to jump the post.
Mutant Cell

#131491 - 07/09/10 08:24 PM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: Rocket]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
No problem Rocket. I find I can't get mine pointed outward, just getting into a finish position like that puts a lot of strain on my knee too. I have to try to go into the slide straight.
HS:763

#131504 - 07/10/10 01:09 AM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: Michael James]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: Michael James
What can I do to help keep my foot straight? The last 2 games I tried to focus on keeping it straight but couldn't.

Maybe this article will help: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip25.htm

#131583 - 07/11/10 09:40 PM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: B-Hammer]
Michael James Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Alabama
Thanks for the link, I will give it a go next practice. I don't think I'm stepping in at the end.
Brunswick C (system) 3.5 #16
Columbia 300 Blue Dot #16
Etonic ESS Interchangeable RH
--------------------------------
Since returning to the game:
Current avg: 189
Last series: 680 (223,220,237)
High game: 267

#131586 - 07/11/10 10:43 PM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: Michael James]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Jax, FL
I've also noticed that my foot does face the right instead of facing to the left, and sometimes it does cause me to hop for balance. Aside from reading the article, would starting farther back on the approach cure me of my troubles?

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#131596 - 07/12/10 04:24 AM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: jwill]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
Actually, the angle of the foot (inside, straight, outside) depends on what you do with your knee during your slide.

Sorry I don't have a visual. During your slide, if you let your knee rock/rotate to the outside, your foot will end up pointing in the same direction as you finish your slide. This will position your ankle more under your body (creating a balance point). This will promote better balance at the line. Also, this takes pressure off your knee and hips.

Right Hand Bowlers
Outward = slide foot pointing left
Inward = slide foot pointing right

Edited by leftykev (07/12/10 04:39 AM)

#131605 - 07/12/10 08:36 AM Re: Foot sideways at foul line [Re: leftykev]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Another typical cause for the slide foot turning in at the foul line is from pulling the ball down into the release rather than allowing it to hit its zero-g spot at the top of swing. Because you have all this force pushing on the ball on the right side of your body and all the weight of the ball is "fighting" that force, it causes the left side of the body to finish in front of the right side, thus spinning the foot.

Make sure you are allowing the ball to free fall in the swing and see if it fixes the problems.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.