BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131465 - 07/09/10 12:41 PM Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame
Dennis Michael Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
While at the lanes yesterday, I met an attractive woman bowler by the name of Patty Ann. Now, she was popular in the mid 80's and 90's, which was during my absence from bowling, so I wasn't too familiar with her. She hasn't touched a ball in over 10 years, and is restarting her game.

Her Bio includes:
WIBC Record League average, 232.
WIBC Record League series, 859.
1989 Woman Bowler of the year
6 Woman's Titles

I was actually talking with a gentleman who accompanied her. His name was Cliff Tarpley. And, is her Coach and Husband.

Cliff was also coach for David Ozio, Wayne Webb, Don Breeden and Jeff Carter. Coached Team USA, and World Cup Team, among others.

I just wish I had my equipment to bowl with them. Talking with them was fasciating. I even asked him about a problem I have been having, and he straightened it out with one sentence.

I have planned to bowl with them over the next week. This is going to be fun.

Edited by Dennis Michael (07/09/10 12:41 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#131466 - 07/09/10 12:51 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: Dennis Michael]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Dennis, you lucky dog:-)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#131477 - 07/09/10 04:45 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: JackZ]
Dennis Michael Offline
State Champion Contender

This is going to realy be fun. Bowled with them today. Patty is working hard on her timing. IMT, Clff watched me roll a few balls. I was bowling on lanes a few away with friends.

As they were leaving, Cliff came over and said, "I have to fix your problem, you have a left dominant eye". "That's why you miss left every now and then".

Then he related a story of when Earl Anthony called him to fix the same trouble. He said, he was Coaching the Puerto Rico National Team when he got the call. Earl was having trouble, and flew him to the States to help him.

He had to leave, but said, he will help me wih my eye dominance.

Just think, The great Earl and I have the same problem!! And, he can fix it!!

#131478 - 07/09/10 04:53 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: JackZ]
Time-To-Roll Online   content
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...
Dennis,
I remember a long time ago on this forum a guy took lessons from them. Maybe you can ask them to post a few for tips for the small town bowlers who do not have the opportunity to work with good coaches, or share some things you learn with us.Hope you enjoy bowling with them.

#131479 - 07/09/10 04:54 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: Dennis Michael]
wklstoy Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 55/M/Camano Island, WA
Let me know what you find out. My left eye is dominant too, and I notice I miss left way more often than I miss right.

Current Avg: 207
Current Game: 279
Current Series: 674

Current Sport Avg: 175

Breakout
715T
Hype
IQ
Sync
T-Zone

#131492 - 07/09/10 08:37 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: wklstoy]
Dennis Michael Offline
State Champion Contender

Yeah, hope he comes up with a fix.

But, just spending time with these people is great in itself.
I love the stories Cliff comes up with. And, he has quite a few.

Might learn something about drilling, too. As he was a ball driller on the Pro Tour.

#131512 - 07/10/10 09:24 AM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: Dennis Michael]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I have heard of Cliff, he is a well respected coach. How did he figure you were left eye dominant, did he have you do the eye dominance test?

Did he tell you how to fix it yet?

One fix I have heard is to tilt your head to the right (right handers with left eye dominance). The other is to close your eyes and open your right eye first, and don't blink again until after the shot.

#131520 - 07/10/10 03:57 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: CoachJim]
iconz116 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: NW Burbs, IL
Dennis,

Thats great that you got to meet them! They are indeed great people. Where did you see them? I know they moved out of IL and purchased a bowling center in another state. I guess they are back for a bit?

Its good to hear that Patty is getting back into bowling. I hope to see them if they are only visiting before they leave.

They ran the Pro Shop here in Morton Grove at Classic Bowl. Cliff drilled my first few balls when I started bowling, this was when I didnt really care about the game. When I wanted to get better, I began reading things on this site and came across the span test... With my thumb in the ball and fingers across, the edge of the holes was at my first knuckle. Full fingertip grip I guess.

Perhaps he had a reason for this? Also when I got a couple lessons with him before, he was teaching the suitcase release, maybe this is the reason for the grip.

Other than that, they are awesome people and I definitely cant wait to see them again!

#131753 - 07/14/10 04:58 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: iconz116]
Dennis Michael Offline
State Champion Contender

Well, here is what happened with my dominant eye.

I was readjusted in my stance. Normally, I hold the ball on the outside of my body. I was repositioned with my ball more towards the center/right side. Then, I moved my head so my left eye was over the center of the ball to improve targeting.

It was hard to get used to. As, I was repeatedly told I would move my head from left eye forward in the backswing, to right eye forward in the down swing, as I squared my shoulders.

The only way to keep my left eye forward was to keep my shoulders squared through the swing, and not open them up. This caused me to be more erect in my delivery, but my head was still.

#131765 - 07/14/10 10:59 PM Re: Patty Ann, WIBC Hall of Fame [Re: Dennis Michael]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Chicagoland
Very cool Dennis; which center was this at?

PAP: 5 1/8 x 3/4 up || Speed: 17.78 || Revs: 314 || Rotation: 65* || Tilt: 15*

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Approach issue-my shoes or my head??
by Calvin Pistorio - 0 seconds ago
Problem hitting my target/mark.
by 6_ball_man - 47 minutes 42 seconds ago
New Targeting Formula
by 6_ball_man - Today at 07:29 PM
How to match a ball to the player's style?
by nord - Today at 07:23 PM
Input on my form and approaches
by spr3wr - Today at 11:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread
by Calvin Pistorio - Today at 09:30 AM
Approach Advice
by Joe Bowler - Today at 06:35 AM
League duties
by SteveH - Yesterday at 07:02 PM
Help me with drill layout and other questions.
by Deep Pockets - Yesterday at 06:06 PM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:01 PM
Ball Speed Calculator
by Eternal Bowler - 04/18/14 03:46 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 04/16/14 01:47 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.