BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131276 - 07/05/10 01:23 AM HELP wrist injury
2finger Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Mo, Saint Ann
A week and a half ago I was out trying to figure out my new Mission ball. Since the ball hooks way more than my Black Widow Pearl I pull the ball further back and and release faster while snapping my wrist harder. I bowled 7 games and my wrist became sore. The next night I was at 9 pin and I bowled fine with no pain until I went up for a $1000 strike pot shot and my wrist popped and hurt like heck. Then Sunday I bowled with a swollen wrist and by the end of the third game I could not move my wrist. Monday it was so sore and swollen I could not feel my fingers I thought I had broken it. But now it is not swollen but I can not move it up or down and can not hold my 16 pound balls. I am wondering what I might have done to hurt it and how long I might be out. I do not have healh insuarance so going to a doctor is out of question. I bowl 2 finger and keep my wrist crooked until I release the ball then I snap it for high revs. I know it sounds really bad how I bowl but it works for me and my pro has/is helping become better.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#131278 - 07/05/10 06:27 AM Re: HELP wrist injury [Re: 2finger]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
If you don't go to the doctors then you won't know how long you will be out or even if you can return to bowling again. You could have done serious damage that needs surgery to repair.

Wrist injuries happen in bowling and are a major concern with the thumbless technique. If you snap the wrist too hard with 16lbs of weight on it you are just asking for trouble. I suggest if your wrist does heal and you return to bowling to try a drop in weight, or learn another style whether is two handed thumbless or a conventional thumb in release.
HS:763

#131282 - 07/05/10 08:13 AM Re: HELP wrist injury [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
About 6 months ago, I was practicing cupping, uncupping and recupping on my release, when I felt a pop in my wrist. I didn't go to a Doctor, but I bowl with one. He advised me to lay off for a few weeks and give the wrist some rest. I gave him a querried look, and he recognized that I bowl a lot. So, he said to drop in weight and use a wrist support.

I would much rather spend $200 on a 15# ball then on an X-Ray. So, that's what I did. In fact, I now have 4-15# balls. But, that did help.

It's been 6 months now, and the wrist feels OK, but staying with the 15# and wrist support.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#131290 - 07/05/10 09:23 AM Re: HELP wrist injury [Re: Dennis Michael]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Shelley Berman once went to the doctor, and lifted his arm.
Shelley said "Doc, when I lift my arm like this, it hurts!"
The doctor said "Well, then don't do it!"

My advice exactly.

I Googled Shelley. Jeez! He's still alive!!!
Shelley Berman

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#131291 - 07/05/10 10:13 AM Re: HELP wrist injury [Re: 2finger]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
If you heard a pop in your wrist you might of did something to the joint. I would at least lay off the bowling until your wrist heals. As mentioned, you may want to consider at a minimum changing your style and/or wearing a wrist brace. After an injury like that it wouldn't take much for it to flare-up again if you're not careful.

Personally, I'll sacrifice ball revs any day for a healthy wrist. Not being able to bowl anymore = 0 revs.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by VFF57 - 07/28/20 06:51 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - 07/05/20 08:43 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.