BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130975 - 06/29/10 09:18 PM Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip.
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Yup, the PBA may allow you now to use MoRich balls (see PBA.com and their approved equipment list), but also I checked the sponsors list at the bottom of the page and noticed that Barbasol shaving products is no longer a sponsor of the Tour.

Despite the historic vctory for women's sports and all sports in general made by Kelly Kulick at the TOC in Vegas last season, once again, the PBA still can't hold a sponsor for more than a couple of years at the most.

And now a little friendly advice to those who (mis) run the PBA:

Perhaps maybe Kelly Kulick should get an appearance on Lopez Tonight (on TBS with George Lopez, and I also hope that Cindy Margolis will be on that same show too) to kick off the 2010-11 PBA season and to bring mainstream attention to the struggling Tour so all bowlers will be more respected as true athletes, in which we all are, whether we on this board admit it, or not.

Gee, maybe Cindy Margolis could pick up some pointers for her game from Kelly too, I would love for Cindy to take up our great sport on (at least) a DVR basis if not watching it live on ESPN (I'll bet Rob Stone and his "hambone" garbage may scare her from doing that) or perhaps hosting benefit/charity events at PINZ Bowling Center in Studio City, CA (she unlike most of us could afford the $9.00/game lineage [OUCH!]).

Which ball and shoe companies would you hook Cindy up with if you could? (obviously she'll be using 15 pound reactive gear).

I myself would hook her up with what I intend to use next league season - Storm Invasion/Storm Hy-Road/Team Storm Spare (I use an Optyx Skull Ball since that has been my bowling trademark since 2002), grips/interchangeable slugs (her choice between Turbo and Vise), and Dexter SST 5/6/7/8 shoes.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#130994 - 06/30/10 01:41 AM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: BIGHMW]
Unclesalty Offline
Action Bowler

When couldn't you have used Morich? WRWJ was with them for years.

#131000 - 06/30/10 05:06 AM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: Unclesalty]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: Unclesalty
When couldn't you have used Morich? WRWJ was with them for years.

Last season. That is when he went to 900Global.
HS:763

#131030 - 06/30/10 12:41 PM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Right- MoRich dropped their PBA registration for a time.

Even with Kelly Kulick's accomplishments, the PBA is a hard sell. How do you adequately secure sponsorship for a sport that has 90 minutes of coverage (25-30 minutes or so of commercial time) per week, 20-25 times a year? Compare this with golf- you can see each round of every tournament they play, 4-6 hours a day for 4 days straight. You can catch the early rounds on either the GOLF CHANNEL, ESPN, or USA, then the weekend rounds on network TV. About 20 hours a week for golf, 90 minutes for bowling.

Bowling needs more exposure to succeed, but can't get that exposure without more sponsorship, so it's kind of a catch-22. Corporate giants don't take many charity cases, especially these days with the economy the way it is.

Bowl up a Storm!

#131037 - 06/30/10 02:11 PM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: Fin09]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
PBA lacks the traditional corporate sports sponsors (shoes, fast food, soft drinks, and beer).

This might sound awful but if you could get Nike to start making bowling gear along with getting someone like Belmonte to be decked out in Nike stuff the PBA would open itself up to the other big three sponsor types.

#131039 - 06/30/10 02:33 PM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: B-Hammer]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I hate to see any of the PBA Sponsors go. But Barbasol? I never did get the connection with bowling. Do bowlers have higher testosterone levels that cause their beards to grow faster?

I like the Nike idea. Deep pockets, that is the key. Anybody here have contacts at Nike?
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#131040 - 06/30/10 02:36 PM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: B-Hammer]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Nike DID make bowling shoes- back in the 80s. Marshall Holman wore a pair. If they thought they could sell enough of them, I'm sure they would start making them again. They would have to have a huge star committed to wearing them, though, since that's how their marketing operates. They didn't make much golf equipment until Tiger came along. With the right exposure, Belmonte could be the international star the game needs.

Bowl up a Storm!

#131043 - 06/30/10 03:15 PM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: Fin09]
lebowski120669 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Kansas City
Originally Posted By: Fin09
Nike DID make bowling shoes- back in the 80s. Marshall Holman wore a pair. If they thought they could sell enough of them, I'm sure they would start making them again. They would have to have a huge star committed to wearing them, though, since that's how their marketing operates. They didn't make much golf equipment until Tiger came along. With the right exposure, Belmonte could be the international star the game needs.

A guy in one of my leagues has a pair of those old Nikes. It looked like Chris Paul had a pair of Air Jordans made into bowling shoes on the last couple pro/am shows. Personally I like my Dynarooz, but Nike would be an awesome get for the PBA.

Ball Speed 17-17.5mph
Revs 360-380

RG Critical Theroy 16 2K
RG Mutant Cell Pearl 16 2K Polished
RG Mars 16 4K Polished
RG Grand Illusion 16 150 Grit
Hammer Big Blue Spare 15
Dexter SST8 White/Black

#131059 - 06/30/10 06:59 PM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: Joe Bowler]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Originally Posted By: Fin09
Bowling needs more exposure to succeed, but can't get that exposure without more sponsorship, so it's kind of a catch-22. Corporate giants don't take many charity cases, especially these days with the economy the way it is.

Exposure for the PBA is almost impossible as long as ESPN and the PBA continue to be in that same dumb time slot (Sundays at 1:00 pm EST/10:00 am PST) as the NFL/NBA/NASCAR/PGA juggernaut. They need to have more like a Saturday afternoon or primetime spot like it used to on ABC/NBC/CBS back in the day.

It would also help the PBA if you had non-sports celebrities attending PBA shows either as fans or in the booth with Rob and Randy, stars like J-LO, George Lopez, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, or even my hero/role model in the entertainment business Cindy Margolis at that. Celebs at sporting events usually draw media attention to the particular sport they are at.

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
I hate to see any of the PBA Sponsors go. But Barbasol? I never did get the connection with bowling. Do bowlers have higher testosterone levels that cause their beards to grow faster?

I like the Nike idea. Deep pockets, that is the key. Anybody here have contacts at Nike?

Belmo would be perfect for Nike. As for Barbasol, I could've seen Jason Belmonte endorsing it too, especially since he wears a carpet on every show he makes.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#131060 - 06/30/10 07:07 PM Re: Barbasol gone from PBA Sponsors List and a tip. [Re: lebowski120669]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Barbasol? Really, who uses it?

If I had anything to do with the PBA, I'd be chasing after every beer company I could find. 99% of the bowlers I've seen drink beer. Beer and bowling have gone together since year one.

While we're ate it, what is wrong with having liquor companies as sponsors? A lot of the guys I bowl with drink shots and follow them with beer.

Before we get anyone else to watch, we should be getting bowlers to watch. I remember being glued to the set watching the PBA on Saturdays on ABC. I'm still glued to the set on Sundays on ESPN. If all the bowlers get locked in....won't everyone else want to find out what the buzz is?

Yeah, I agree. The ESPN time slot sucks. I'd love to see the PBA and ESPN work on something better.

Edited by JackZ (06/30/10 07:11 PM)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.