BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130908 - 06/29/10 03:07 AM Can't seem to hook the ball
Doty Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/Male/Illinois
I don't want to tell my life story so here's the gist of it

Get my own ball last december for a present
Trying bowling with it like you would without a thumb(it's basically like jason belmonte, but without the other hand on the ball)
Figured that wouldn't work with a ball that fit my hand so I tried the correct way. And this way I cannot hook the ball.
I went to the guy that drilled my ball first and he looked at the rings that were on it from the oil and said I was spinning my ball. When I would get to the foul line, I guess I would immediately turn my hand to the handshake position so my ball would spin, look like it would hook, but just go straight.

I think I just have a bad habbit of spinning the ball, and I don't know what to do with my fingers at what times, when to push off with my fingers, how far should the ball be out of my hand and anything else to help me hook the ball. I've been spinning it for the last couple of months and I don't see how to fix it. Watching videos doesn't help because it seems like they're doing something different with their hands.

Any help will be appreciated. If I can hook the ball, I will be going bowling as much as possible. And it seems like the kids that don't take the sport as seriously as me, can get hook the ball and it kills me that I can't

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#130910 - 06/29/10 03:38 AM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: Doty]
Unclesalty Offline
Action Bowler

Picture throwing a football spiral underhand. rolling the ball off your fingertips.Your thumb comes off the ball first then the ballrolls from the palm to the tips of your fingers..Spiral. TaDa! The motion you make to do this brings your hand upwards in a shake hands position and you couldeven followthough by pointing your thumb at your ear. If your thumb goes around and you see the back of your hand you've gone to far and this will cause spinning.
I hope this makes since. Maybe someone can explain it better.
Try underhand tossing around a football with some friends and you may get a feel for what I am meaning to say.

Oh and welcome to the site!

#130911 - 06/29/10 03:49 AM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: Unclesalty]
Doty Offline
League Bowler

I've tried that and it still doesn't work. I'm planning on going tomorrow so maybe I can try again. It won't hurt not to. Maybe I can try just straight bowling it to get the feel of the ball coming out of my hand more and try hooking it later on?

#130912 - 06/29/10 04:10 AM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: Doty]
Unclesalty Offline
Action Bowler

well a coach would be your best bet. I have been told that some people just get it,not that they are naturals and strike at will,
just that picturing what a ball should do and understander how to get the ball to do it comes a bit more quick to some people. The point I'm getting at is everyone can learn to hook a ball and a coach or several coaches couldn't hurt.

"What one man can do, another can do."

#130913 - 06/29/10 04:52 AM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: Unclesalty]
Doty Offline
League Bowler

The closest coach is 45 minutes away, and coaches cost money. I don't have a job. I do have a little money saved up, but I need that for other things in the future. I'm hoping I can get it down tomorrow.

#130914 - 06/29/10 07:11 AM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: Doty]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
The key thing is for the fingers to be as far under the ball as possible. Then, when you throw it like an under-handed football spiral, it will have a sideways roll. If your fingers are on top of hte ball, it will spin.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#130920 - 06/29/10 08:18 AM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: Doty]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If your last name is Doty then hooking the ball is in your blood. A good friend and mentor when I was growing up, with that name, could make the 3-7 with the ball like a baby split. He hooked the ball more than anyone I have ever seen and this was back in the days of plastic and he was getting more than a reactive ball reaction out of a white dot.

Now to your problem. You might need to take a step back and learn to roll the ball forward using your wrist, and stop trying to hook the ball, you will see the ball hook.

The problem you are having is your thumb is not exiting the ball soon enough which brings your hand over the top of the ball. Let your thumb exit the ball with your palm facing your target and let your wrist roll through the ball to the break point.

#130934 - 06/29/10 11:54 AM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: Doty]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
My son had the same problem. We were able to fix it with the mentioned underhand football spirals coupled with what Coach Jim and others mentioned. It did take awhile so stick with it and it will happen.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#130935 - 06/29/10 12:42 PM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: VFF57]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
The coaches might disagree with what I am going to say, but this is what worked for a couple of friends that were doing the same thing as you.

Start on the right side of the lane and try to roll the ball forward letting your fingers put all the revs on the ball (not your elbow, forearm, thumb, or shoulder). Don't worry about trying to hook it just try and roll it forward. What essentially happens though is that while you think your hand is coming straight up the back it normally is coming off to the side just enough to give it the proper axis rotation to get it to hook. Throwing from the right side will also put you closer to the dry boards that when hit will help hook the ball.

That might not be the best advice, but it worked for my friends that were spinning it because they were trying to hard to get their fingers to the side of the ball.

#130955 - 06/29/10 04:12 PM Re: Can't seem to hook the ball [Re: B-Hammer]
Doty Offline
League Bowler

Bowling was a failure. Bowled three games and didn't see any improvement. I know my thumb doesn't get out of the ball early enough but I don't know how to make it come out earlier than that. I don't try to grab it at all, I try to make the ball drop as low as possible, but I keep turning my hand too early. Feeling like to just give up right now and wait until I have a chance for a coach

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/19/17 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.