BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130372 - 06/20/10 11:36 AM Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Jax, FL
So last week if you don't know already, I won first place in a weekly handicap singles tournament sweeper averaging 203,which is +31 pins over my average. I was just wondering, usually around how many tournament appearances does it take for a bowler to be re-rated? What is the rule of thumb when it comes to re-rating a bowler? Do you think I'll be re-rated if I give it a go for the 2nd week?

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#130373 - 06/20/10 11:58 AM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: jwill]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Usually re-ratings take more than one tournament. If someone was to get re-rated after just one tournament appearance it would be due to several complaints of other bowlers to the tournament director.

Considering this is a tournament being held on a regular basis at the same center, it would probably take 3 or 4 appearances before they decide to re-rate. Some of the tournaments that run like this actually have rule sheets that will mention after X number of games you will establish a new average to be used in that tournament much like a league.

If there isn't any such rule in place and nobody files any complaints you might not get re-rated at all. Unfortunately you don't always get notified before the start of competition that you will be re-rated, sometimes you will.

I personally say give it a go, bowl your best but don't get upset if you find out afterwards you were re-rated. I don't think one good tournament appearance is enough to warrant a re-rating. A second might be though.
HS:763

#130378 - 06/20/10 02:42 PM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Each tournament has theirown rules for rating. I have been re-rated before, but that was after 3 consecutive tournaments with a significantly higher average then sanctioned. And, I wasn't sandbagging.

Also, when I rolled ABT, they re-rate after 2 sessions. Then establish an ABT average.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#130396 - 06/20/10 09:50 PM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: Dennis Michael]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Yeah...pretty much don't worry about until (if) it happens.
If they do re-rate you, and you do not like the number they decide you should be at, DO NOT COMPETE that night. Take the refund and walk away. Believe me, if you do not like the number you will be focusing on THAT instead of the bowling. Your performance will suffer. Save your entry.
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#130408 - 06/21/10 01:37 AM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: 6_ball_man]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: 6_ball_man

If they do re-rate you, and you do not like the number they decide you should be at,

Are you referring to the amount of pins they give me when you say number?

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#130415 - 06/21/10 07:05 AM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: jwill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
There are 2 things to look at. First, what is your re-rated average? It probably is calculated on what you actually bowled in previous tournaments. Second, how is the handicap figured? What is the base for handicap, and what is the percentage they use. 80% of the base is not as good as 90%. And, gives the higher average an advantage.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#130420 - 06/21/10 08:04 AM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I was rerated after cashing the first time in one monthly tournament. I took the 10 pin rerate and cashed again.....and was rerated again, took another 10 pin rerate and cashed again, but not very high. So no more rerates. Then I bowled a different tournament and took first place first time I entered. This is handicap mind you. And as I received my pay envelope I was told "IF you EVER come back to this tournament you WILL be rerated". Fine I thought, rerate me. Didn't need to worry though that bowl closed soon after.

#130436 - 06/21/10 10:19 AM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: Atochabsh]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
The ABT has a rerating system that includes bumping averages up when bowlers cash, and giving bonus pins when bowlers don't cash. There is more information in their member's Handbook.

Other organizations that may have different rules, or it may be left to the tournament director's discretion. In any case, you should be told in advance that you have been re-rated and have the option to bowl or not bowl.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#130513 - 06/22/10 12:31 PM Re: Re-Rating a Bowler in Tournaments [Re: Joe Bowler]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

Well I'm going to give it another go Friday night and use the money I won for entry. If the shot is the same as last week, playing a line to the track area will lead me to averaging in the 200s.

Edited by jwill (06/22/10 12:32 PM)

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.