BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129966 - 06/14/10 04:08 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: B-Hammer]
Russ I. Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/m/wis
sore loser.
True sandbagger in our fall league
Starts out 205+ year before average 217.
Ends up at the 1st third at 189 along with the rest of team.
By the end of the 2nd third they are all at 200+ and by the end of last third they are all at around 205+.
Needless to say they won the 2nd and 3rd third of league

Also adding one of there guys only likes to bowl well the 2nd game due to huge pot game, so hes a easy 230+ and above in second game

Edited by Russ I. (06/14/10 04:08 PM)
PAP 4 7/8" x 0

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#129969 - 06/14/10 06:06 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: B-Hammer]
Sevens Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/m/mn
I've always wondered why not make any money league scratch only? Every "bigger" money tournament around here is scratch. And most of the few serious leagues we have are scratch as well. That would fix quite a lot of issues with sandbaggers. Sure sandbaggers might still sandbag in the handicap tournaments and leagues.

#130242 - 06/18/10 01:11 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Sevens]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Since 90% or more of all league bowlers couldn't compete in scratch events, you'll see handicap leagues from now until the end of time. And because of this, you'll also see some form of sandbagging, especially when first place pays well. No real need to sandbag if first pays $500 a man, but when you start looking at $1300 or more for first, you start to see it more and more. And these figures are just arbitrary- no research on the exact amounts. We did throw a team out of our league (with the USBC and local association's blessing!) a couple of years ago for sandbagging on the 36th and final week of the season. It took that long to compile enough evidence to show the pattern.
The "good" sandbaggers will do it subtlely, so you don't know they're throwing away pins. The bad ones will just start dumping balls in the gutter and whiffing big spares. Nothing like watching someone stay around the pocket for 2 games, picking up most of their spares, then grab the recap sheet, do a little quick math, then take an area-code sized step to the right and pick off a couple of 7 pins to start the 3rd game.

Bowl up a Storm!

#130281 - 06/18/10 10:29 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Fin09]
benny Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 28 /M /Indiana, USA
Troubling to say the least. I am going to keep this short as I had a nice reply going to this topic and a thunderstorm kicked my power. Oh, well what can you do? (what can you do about the power outage I mean) but what can you do with sandbaggers as well?

Okay, so I just completed my first year of league with a mid 130s average. Nothing to write home about, but I had a couple weeks in there with a 500 series and a couple of 220s games. At one point, I feared someone throwing the sandbagger accusation at me.

I think the learning curve came quickly for me because I am able to practice with a couple of bowlers that have experience far beyond me. My wife's cousin has bowled more than 30 years with some pro tour experience and I have developed a decent form, approach and release thanks to him. I also bowl with my brother frequently who also has a lot of experience to offer me.

Getting back to my point though, its really makes no sense to me as to why anybody would shave pins. Personally I think it is disgusting and nowhere in line with what true "sportsmanship" should be.

Every time I bowl, I set a new achieveable goal for myself that I previously either have not met, or been close to meeting. And if I fall short of my goal, it really frustrates me. It is beyond me as to why anyone would shave pins. If the person who is sandbagging is that good, then they need bowl leagues in which the level of competition is an equal field. The point of the handicap system is to have a "fair" way to compare two teams scores based on how well they have statistically preiously bowled. It allows bowlers of mixed experience to compete against each other and sandbaggers give the handicap leagues a bad name not to mention themselves a bad name too once they are discovered. Sorry this went a little long but I had to get my points out.

Thanks guys

Edited by benny (06/18/10 10:39 PM)

Arsenal:
Blue Hammer
Blue Hammer Vibe
Pink Fab Hammer

#130283 - 06/19/10 12:01 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: benny]
SLee Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Brooklyn, NY
what do you call it when you throw 6 straight strikes?

#130293 - 06/19/10 06:08 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: SLee]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: SLee
what do you call it when you throw 6 straight strikes?

I call it a 6 pack or a 6 bagger.
HS:763

#130296 - 06/19/10 06:53 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Wccl Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Singapore
uhm can someone explain to me whats a sandbagger?

#130297 - 06/19/10 07:08 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Wccl]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
A sandbagger in bowling is someone who will bowl below their ability in order to gain an advantage. Basically they will keep their average lower on purpose to get more handicap or lower handicap they will be giving and then bowl well when needed.
HS:763

#130298 - 06/19/10 07:55 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Wccl Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Singapore
oh thx for the explanation

#130310 - 06/19/10 10:16 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Wccl]
SLee Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Brooklyn, NY
so any consecutive stikes from 5 and on is = # and bagger or pack?? 5 bagger, 10 bagger? 8 bagger?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Lane transition and changing balls
by spr3wr - Today at 04:39 PM
Please comment/critique my game!
by spr3wr - Today at 03:14 PM
Brunswick sold
by mmalsed - Today at 11:34 AM
No interest in PBA Experience Leagues
by Dennis Michael - Today at 10:06 AM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:34 PM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by Richie V. - 07/29/14 02:30 PM
Tournaments 2013-2014
by Joe Bowler - 07/28/14 11:54 PM
The Sinister Unfolds
by SteveH - 07/26/14 12:58 PM
2013-2014 Honor Scores
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 08:46 AM
Add Bowling Revs By Adding Lag
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 07:57 AM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/14 02:05 PM
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - 07/23/14 11:55 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.