BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129793 - 06/12/10 06:16 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Kilgore Trout Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: San Diego
This is not a put down, but you honestly didn't bowl all that well for your average.

Believe it or not, you're going to have some MUCH BETTER nights to look forward to.

And when you do, your opponents will probably joke about sandbagging. If they're higher average bowlers, just remind them that it takes considerable skill to sandbag. Then ask them who honestly has more skill, you or them?

Edited by Kilgore Trout (06/12/10 06:18 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#129796 - 06/12/10 08:08 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Kilgore Trout]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Sandbagging is a serious term, and there are cases where rulings had to be made on this accusation. But, without witnessing intentional gutters or deliberate misses, it is difficult to prove.

But, the term is usually used in jest. Usually indicating that someone witnessed you bowling lower previously, and when bowling against them, you bowled well.

I take it as a recognition that I did well.

Bowling low in week 1 and better in week 2 is not sandbagging. Bowling is a game of averages and that is going to happen.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#129814 - 06/12/10 10:53 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: ManaSpryte]
lebowski120669 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Kansas City
Originally Posted By: ManaSpryte
this guy wanted to get me re-rated and that I sandbagged a whole fall season just to win a summer league

This made me laugh out loud.

Ball Speed 17-17.5mph
Revs 360-380

RG Critical Theroy 16 2K
RG Mutant Cell Pearl 16 2K Polished
RG Mars 16 4K Polished
RG Grand Illusion 16 150 Grit
Hammer Big Blue Spare 15
Dexter SST8 White/Black

#129827 - 06/12/10 03:19 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: lebowski120669]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Can't explain why. But, I have averaged lower in Fall then Summer by as much as 15 pins. When you analyze this, you would see that Sept thru Dec are my down months, and when added to Jan thru Apr, I net under. But, Jan thru Apr, into the Summer are fairly consistent.

I guess I sandbagged in Fall to win the Summer.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#129830 - 06/12/10 03:40 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Dennis Michael]
Jai Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 26/M/CO
Thanks guys! Honestly, like kigore trout said, for my average, I didn't bowl all that great. Just better than I usually do! It's only the 4th week in the league, averages are gonna move quite a bit still. And on top of that, this league started you off on your ABT book, so it would be even more fair. I wish I was good enough to sangbag. I have a hard time hitting my mark period, I'd probably do better if I was trying to do bad. LOL

Black Widow Nasty
Jigsaw
Hot Sauce Pearl
White Dot

#129846 - 06/12/10 07:46 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Jai]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Its really pathetic the nature and insecurities of some people, especially amongst some bowlers out there. I have played against these 200 ave bowlers some years ago, when I was only around 150.. Bowled out of this planet, u know one of those nights. To have these guys question my average, and basically display poor sportsmanship. Needless to say I didn't stay long in this league..

This league is still going pretty strong, its our strongest league in our centre. A guy whom I get along well with on a different league that I bowl, has just started in this particular league. Hes arounnd 165 or so, had a blinder couple of weeks ago, they basically cracked it due to him beating them with his handicap.... As a consequence, this guy is going to leave the league as he fells rather unwelcome and looked down upon for having a sub 200 ave...

I HATE these kinda guys, they think they are beyond reproach, they are the elite. Truth is they never enter or cash in ANY, and I do mean ANY decent tournament over last 10 yrs that I have been bowling and following local and state tournaments, never have and never will. So they strut their over inflated chests down the local centre.. I am now at their level of ability in terms of average, but will never join them. Bunch of as*holes..

They really are pathetic.. They are the big dogs in a little backyard. Nothing more, nothing less..

Sorry, if I am sounding a bit intense, I just have a strong dislike for these bowlers, bowl scratch leagues then, but don't complain at handicap bowlers...They do more harm than good to bowling with their attitude. They turn other bowlers away from leagues or from bowling itself.

#129854 - 06/12/10 09:09 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: looseleftie]
BowlerBob Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 40/Pittsburgh, PA
I've been called a sandbagger, too. It's easy to blame someone/something else when you're struggling and a less skilled guy flys by.

At the time, I wasn't sure what a sandbagger was so I didn't care, although my assumptions were correct. I'm an inconsistent bowler, so I'm sure I'll hear this again.

As for sandbagging itself, well if you're in a money league and there's a few thousand dollars per player for finishing at the top, then sandbaggers will be interested. You have to know where you stand, if you're there to have fun, then sandbagging probably wont affect you.

Nomad Pearl 1200 grit
Dark Star Step Two
Rapid Fire 800 + polish
Ebonite Pin Slasher grey scotch (~800)

Innovative 1/2 hp Spinner

I could be wrong smile

#129875 - 06/13/10 12:01 AM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: looseleftie]
lebowski120669 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Kansas City
Originally Posted By: looseleftie
I HATE these kinda guys, they think they are beyond reproach, they are the elite. Truth is they never enter or cash in ANY, and I do mean ANY decent tournament over last 10 yrs that I have been bowling and following local and state tournaments, never have and never will. So they strut their over inflated chests down the local centre.. I am now at their level of ability in terms of average, but will never join them. Bunch of as*holes..

They really are pathetic.. They are the big dogs in a little backyard. Nothing more, nothing less..

There in every center (including mine) To each his/her own.

Ball Speed 17-17.5mph
Revs 360-380

RG Critical Theroy 16 2K
RG Mutant Cell Pearl 16 2K Polished
RG Mars 16 4K Polished
RG Grand Illusion 16 150 Grit
Hammer Big Blue Spare 15
Dexter SST8 White/Black

#129959 - 06/14/10 01:14 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: lebowski120669]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
They call it an average for a reason.

For every night you're 100 pins over your average, you'll have a couple of nights where you're 50 under. No one looks funny at you after a bad night, do they? It kills me when people complain about the 150 average bowler who shoots 200 against them and beats them, when 9 other 150 average bowlers average 130 against them and lose.

No need to get worked up about it.

Bowl up a Storm!

#129961 - 06/14/10 01:32 PM Re: Got called a sandbagger last night [Re: Fin09]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: Fin09
No one looks funny at you after a bad night, do they?

The one time I see this creep up and it probably isn't even intentional, is when two teams of friends play against each other and both teams because of the recreational atmosphere end up being way below average. Which is fine for that night but it does give them some extra handicap for future matches. Nothing you can do about that though, you can't force teams to not have fun when bowling their friends, and sometimes the opposite is true and they try harder against their friends. Like you said it's called an average for a reason.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.