BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124720 - 04/06/10 09:05 PM USBC certified coaching
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
I just want to say that I had previously gone to a coach and found that it didn't do much for me. I felt like he really was not paying attention to certain details. In the end, it felt sort of useless.

This last weekend I tried again with a different coach. USBC Silver Level.
It was totally different. He found timing issues, minute differences in my drillings spans between balls that other IBSIA guys had missed, he listened, worked with me for three hours.
All in all I have to say it was a great experience. The timing tips alone were fantastic.

So even if you're not wanting to go pro, or anything close i think one weekend or two would be a great investment. Just wanted to share my experience. You need to find a coach that can match your enthusiasm basically. I love the sport, knowing about it, learning, and this coach was game for all of that and appreciated someone caring so much about it. so don't give up on it if you have a bad experience. There is a coach out there for you.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#124730 - 04/06/10 10:48 PM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: evilash71]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
evilash, I'm glad you had a good experience. i got lucky on my first try. She's USBC Bronze, a tournament bowler, and really enthusiastic about the game. One guy got lessons with her as a gift from his wife, saw she was a girl and refused to work with her. Airhead! His loss. I'm going back for more lessons during the summer:)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#124744 - 04/07/10 12:44 AM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: JackZ]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 58/M/Camano Island, WA
I've got a lesson in a week or so from a 3-time national PBA winner who happens to own the Pro Shop in a center in Everett, about 25 miles south of me. Hopefully that will be fruitful, as I really need to work on my approach and timing. I seem to lose both as the night wears on.

Couldn't find any USBC certified coaches close to where I live, but I'm hoping this fellow works for me.

Current Avg: 199
Current Game: 266
Current Series: 669

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#129850 - 06/12/10 08:54 PM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: wklstoy]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

Got a new coach close to where I live. USBC certified Gold Level. 40 years coaching experience. The man really knows his stuff. Had a complete video work-up and analysis of my stance, approach, and release, but best of all was the attention he paid to my ball weight and fit.

We spent a lot of time at the drillers going over span, sizing and pitch, and I have been working with a 15 lb. "junk" ball that we had drilled up just to work on the release. BIG difference from my current equipment. Snug thumbhole, but a clean release every time. Proper fit makes a huge difference.

Lots of other things too, but the fit problem he resolved is the biggest deal of all. Can't say enough in praise of the coach. Also can't wait to get some new equipment drilled up when he gets back from a Chicago coaching clinic.

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#129878 - 06/13/10 02:38 AM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: wklstoy]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
wklstoy, was that Ron Hoppe? I've heard good things about him, he's my driller's coach. I have a question or two if that's who you went to.

#129894 - 06/13/10 08:49 AM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If it is tell Ron Hoppe he is one of my bowling heros I love his book, much of what I have learned in coaching and teaching has come from his book "Top Ten Tips for Coaching The Advanced Bowler".

Give him a big hug for me.

#129902 - 06/13/10 01:07 PM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: CoachJim]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

Yep. It's Ron Hoppe. The man is amazing. I think I've learned more about my game the past couple of weeks than I did in all the years I've been bowling before. He even had my personality pegged after watching me bowl. Kinda eerie.

I'll pass along the hug CoachJim.

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#129914 - 06/13/10 06:45 PM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: wklstoy]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

Yeah, my driller told me he will tape you from the front and he can tell you what you're thinking at different times of your approach. Pretty smart guy.

I was wondering, if you weren't already, did he set the ball up so that you don't have to grip the ball?

By the way, he coaches, or at least has coached, Mika Koivuniemi.

#129922 - 06/13/10 11:24 PM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: Jay R.]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

Yeah, I don't have to grip the ball at all. My current equipment actually was pretty close, but the thumb hole has a side pitch that he said was causing me to hang up; we corrected that. He also adjusted the span of the ring finger slightly. He's out of town now for two weeks, and I had to stop using the practice ball, because until he gets back I can't get new equipment drilled up, and the practice ball was [censored] me up using my current stuff. crazy

He actually made a call to Mika during one of my lessons at the drillers, and put it on speaker phone. Kinda cool. I think he was trying to get Mika to come out for some coaching this summer, and the driller has a mother-in-law apartment he can stay at while he's out here.

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#129931 - 06/14/10 02:45 AM Re: USBC certified coaching [Re: wklstoy]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

That's pretty cool about Mika. Do you know the specs of your practice ball? I'd be curious to know that. Must be nice to have zero griping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.