BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129817 - 06/12/10 01:20 PM I need your Opinion
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Jax, FL
Scenario: There is a Handicap Singles Tourney every Friday night starting next week June 18th-August 27th in one of my houses. The Payout ratio is 1:6 and the entry fee is $40. Everyone is to bowl 4 games across 8 lanes.

The Purse:(Based on 24 bowlers) 1st place: $300 2nd place: $175 3rd place: $125 4th place: $75 Handicap is 90% of 220.

My situation: I currently have a 172 average, giving me 43 pins. That average is not a reflection of the recent adjustments and investments I've made in equipment AND bowling in a PBA Experience league for a few weeks. I feel like I'm better than my current book where I can average in the 195-200 range.

My Question: Would it be worth my $40 (I don't have much money as of now) to get in on the action and roll with some of the top contenders? Considering that I have 43 pins to my name, and some have never bowled a sport league? Oh yea, and to add on, I only have 1 year of bowling experience.

Let me know...

Edited by jwill (06/12/10 01:37 PM)

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#129819 - 06/12/10 02:16 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: jwill]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You will never know what will happen if you don't try, other than $40, what do you have to lose?

#129822 - 06/12/10 02:36 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: jwill]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
First let me say just bowling on a sport shot doesn't make a bowler better. It will magnify the weakness but without someone to watch and guide the bowler to making the correct changes in their game, bowling on sport conditions can do more harm than good. Sometimes it bowlers will ingrain bad habits in order to score better on those conditions.

New equipment is only as good as the bowler using it. Sure a new ball will hit better, maybe even react more but without the ability to control it or know when to switch to another ball there isn't a guarantee of higher scores.

All that being said, it all comes down to what you think. You seem to have confidence that you can bowl better than your average so that's something you have going for you. Having confidence in your abilities is a big part of the mental game, as well as not worrying about how others are doing while you are bowling.

If you are indeed better than your book average suggests, you might have a good chance at cashing a few times. But beware, the tournament director has the discretion to re-rate a bowler at any time. Also some tournaments like that will re-rate the average after so many games bowled in that tournament to reflect how well the bowler has bowled.

Then there is the money issue to consider, maybe you can't afford to bowl every Friday in it, but maybe once a month, or once every three weeks and if you cash keep that money to enter for another week. If you win first, you would be able to bowl three more weeks off of it. Only you can decide if you can afford it.

If it was me I'd give it a go as many times as money and time allows.
HS:763

#129842 - 06/12/10 06:35 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Remember, if handicap is based on 90% of 220, a 220 bowler automatically gets 10% more pins. Your average (172) plus cap (43) only gets you to 215. So, a 220 bowler will always beat you by 5.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#129843 - 06/12/10 06:50 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
First let me say just bowling on a sport shot doesn't make a bowler better. It will magnify the weakness but without someone to watch and guide the bowler to making the correct changes in their game, bowling on sport conditions can do more harm than good. Sometimes it bowlers will ingrain bad habits in order to score better on those conditions.

Bowling on the sport patterns has showed me 5 things I need to do and since spotting them I've been improving. Those things were lofting the plastic spare ball, watching where the ball breaks instead of looking at the pins, following-through, changing hand positions, and applying power slide to the thumb/thumb-hole. Nothing major at all. Ever since I took action, I've been averaging about the same as I would on a house shot.

Quote:
New equipment is only as good as the bowler using it. Sure a new ball will hit better, maybe even react more but without the ability to control it or know when to switch to another ball there isn't a guarantee of higher scores.

I throw Brunswick without any complaints as you could tell by my signature. I got a little bit of skill, and everyone says I throw a hell of a good ball.

Quote:
If you are indeed better than your book average suggests, you might have a good chance at cashing a few times. But beware, the tournament director has the discretion to re-rate a bowler at any time. Also some tournaments like that will re-rate the average after so many games bowled in that tournament to reflect how well the bowler has bowled.

Now that, I wasn't even aware of.

Quote:

If it was me I'd give it a go as many times as money and time allows.

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to give it a shot.
I think if I just focus on my game and not anyone else's I may have a good shot of taking home the money. It would be good to have my equipment pay for itself.

Quote:
Remember, if handicap is based on 90% of 220, a 220 bowler automatically gets 10% more pins. Your average (172) plus cap (43) only gets you to 215. So, a 220 bowler will always beat you by 5.

I'm aware of that. But I will be averaging somewhere in the 195-200 range because of the 5 things I worked on doing.

Edited by jwill (06/12/10 07:00 PM)

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#129845 - 06/12/10 07:42 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: jwill]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
It takes me too long to figure out two lanes, and your tourney gives you one game on each pair. Ouch!

League bowling is for fun. With 40 bucks on the line, the Psychology will be different.

If I were giving advice - which I'm not - I would say wait a couple of years before getting into competitions. Have fun, learn, get really good, and then try it. Just my two cents, not a recommendation, just what I would do.

One other thing - how many 220 average bowlers have you seen have a 10-strike game when their team really needed it? (not trying to start a controversy, but I'm just sayin'.....)

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#129847 - 06/12/10 07:55 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: 10PinGaloot]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: SpareMe
It takes me too long to figure out two lanes, and your tourney gives you one game on each pair. Ouch!

League bowling is for fun. With 40 bucks on the line, the Psychology will be different.

If I were giving advice - which I'm not - I would say wait a couple of years before getting into competitions. Have fun, learn, get really good, and then try it. Just my two cents, not a recommendation, just what I would do.

One other thing - how many 220 average bowlers have you seen have a 10-strike game when their team really needed it? (not trying to start a controversy, but I'm just sayin'.....)

I bowl on 8 lanes in my PBA Experience league, that's the least of my worries. Don't get me wrong, I've beeen in tournaments before and cashed. I've just never been in a tournament where there was a $40 entry fee, usually $20 is my max. It has been a total of 3 bowlers who I've seen have a 10-strike game when their team really needed it.

Edited by jwill (06/12/10 08:20 PM)

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#130274 - 06/18/10 09:14 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: 10PinGaloot]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

So yea guys I decided to bowl the tourney. I bowled games of
187 255 193 180. My scratch series was a 815 while my handicap series was a 987!!! Oh yea, did I mention I got FIRST PLACE! My prize was $250 because there were only 17 bowlers instead of 24. I couldn't of done it, if it wasn't for my Evil Siege and also the help of the challenging patterns of my PBAX League. So yeea, I think I might skip next weeks tourney and do the one the week after, who knows, I may change my mind. I could use the money. I also found out that the pattern(s) will change weeks into it.

It's funny how consistent I was after I didn't put tape on the back of my thumb. I won't be using that Ebonite tape anymore since my thumb holes have been smoothed since I started going to another pro-shop.

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#130300 - 06/19/10 08:46 AM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: jwill]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Congratulations! I knew you could do it.

Don't be surprised if you don't have to use tape again in the winter because your thumb will shrink. If you don't like tape in the back of the thumb I would look into interchangeable thumb slugs to keep a snug feel.

#130319 - 06/19/10 12:09 PM Re: I need your Opinion [Re: CoachJim]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks coach. It's funny you mention that, because even my new driller said the same thing. I guess I will be investing in the IT system sometime down the line.

Edited by jwill (06/19/10 12:10 PM)

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.