BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129575 - 06/08/10 01:27 PM Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
I'm practicing playing deeper this summer, I'm good until I get to the 5th arrow, my problem is the ball return. I don't feel I can get far enough left with by body to shoot these arrows. And when I try to stand farther up in front of the return things are out of whack. Should I be trying to drift left as I get closer to the foul line?
Please give me your tips and advice?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#129576 - 06/08/10 02:14 PM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: Revenator]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
What happens when you move left? Bad carry, bad entry angle, pulling the shot, ball not recovering, other?

#129577 - 06/08/10 02:14 PM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: Revenator]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
This is one of those things you have to practice to get used to. For several frames, practice standing in front of the ball return, figure out what works for your timing and all that.

For me, it works if I go from 4 steps to 3, and push away and start to let my ball drop before beginning my steps. So my sequence is:

* push away
* let ball start to drop
* step with left foot
* ball passes hip starts upswing
* short power step with right foot
* ball reaches top of swing, starts down
* slide step
* ball passes ankle

I've never had to use this in competition, but I do work in a few practice shots each time I'm out, just to make sure it's ingrained.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#129579 - 06/08/10 03:18 PM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: B-Hammer]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

What happens is it's difficult to hit the target I'm aiming because it feels like I'm too much on top of the target. So I either shoot it to far to the right, or pull it.

#129584 - 06/08/10 07:50 PM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: Revenator]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
What happens is it's difficult to hit the target I'm aiming because it feels like I'm too much on top of the target. So I either shoot it to far to the right, or pull it.

What works for me is to envision the ball rolling to the break point and developing a feel for the break point rather than focusing on the target at the arrows. To me the break point always seemed closer so either feeling it or aiming at it directly always seemed easier from inside.

As far as getting through the approach from in front of the ball return, I take the same number of steps in my head, but like Dan I only take 3 steps, but I visualize my first two steps and start the ball with an imaginary step of the right foot and drop the ball into the swing as I start the next step.

One other way to do it is to walk diagonally in front of the ball return and then turn and square yourself to the target line you want to play and extend down this line through the break point. If you bowl in an amf house this might be your only option since the ball returns in these houses tend to be closer to the foul line than in brunswicks.

#129591 - 06/08/10 11:03 PM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: CoachJim]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Look up Ken Simard on YouTube. He made a show a few years ago and on the right hand lane, he was standing in front of the ball return. He started his ball in motion before moving his feet then got into his approach. Best example I can think of.

#129597 - 06/09/10 02:35 AM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: General Pounder]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try looking at the break point, and the 3 step, and I'll even try drifting left if those don't work.

#129615 - 06/09/10 11:58 AM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: Revenator]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Tommy Jones at the US Open he won (2006?) did the same thing.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#129628 - 06/09/10 05:20 PM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: cgeorg]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
How about Robert Smith playing the seventh arrow and almost standing to the left of the ball return but still in front of it. Happened in the 2007 CLR Windy City Classic against Brad Angelo.

You can also see Angelo playing around the fifth arrow and he walks around the return.
HS:763

#129652 - 06/10/10 02:16 AM Re: Help shooting the 5th and 6th arrows [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

Great video Calvin, loved watching it.
I worked on the 3 step today and I believe that is going to work for me. It never occured to me to do my other two steps in my head. But it works.
Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Revenator (06/10/10 02:18 AM)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 10:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 09:32 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.