BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129581 - 06/08/10 05:58 PM Shots from the 4th to 5th arrow
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
Saw post concerning this but my question is more specific.
For you inside players:
Are you walking to your target,(ie..shoulders, feet facing 5th arrow and your slide foot ends up facing that arrow at the line? Or are you walking straighter with just your body, torso angled to the right at the target, sort of "crab walking" foot over foot, almost sideways in a way? Or simply walking straighter, feet straight, but angling body towards the target the whole time?

I am a down and in player and really the furthest out i tend to go is left foot on about 25. I usually take a 4 step approach, crossover the first step, opening my shoulders and close towards the target at the end.

Need help understanding right way to do these things. I realize many people do this differently but maybe i understood what people were doing i could narrow down what works for me.

My problem, i tend to either 1)put too much angle on the ball-into the gutter.
2) i will get a good little amount of belly on the ball, then all of a sudden I start going light. The ball not recovering.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#129582 - 06/08/10 07:26 PM Re: Shots from the 4th to 5th arrow [Re: evilash71]
FuriousSam Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/Lodi, NJ
If the ball is not recovering, why are you playing that deep? I understand the whole "I need to practice it so my body gets use to it..." but if the lane condition doesn't allow you to do it, there is no point forcing it and picking up bad habits.

Sorry if I am not giving advice on how to do it and the only times that I've play the 5th arrow was when the lanes are pretty much bone dry. And my ball goes wherever my sliding foot points at, so I walked with a slight angle (/) towards the target. I should also mention that I have very little revs, so the ball pretty much rolls towards the 15th board down about 45 feet and recovers a little towards the pocket.

Brunswick Mastermind
Storm Vivid
Storm Frantic
Columbia White Dot

BowlSK

#129585 - 06/08/10 08:12 PM Re: Shots from the 4th to 5th arrow [Re: evilash71]
Calvin Pistorio Online   content
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: FuriousSam
If the ball is not recovering, why are you playing that deep? I understand the whole "I need to practice it so my body gets use to it..." but if the lane condition doesn't allow you to do it, there is no point forcing it and picking up bad habits.

I agree, to an extent. You can practice those deeper lines, just don't worry about hitting the pocket. Work on hitting the primary target and your breakpoint. That's how you get used to playing those angles.

Originally Posted By: evilash71
Saw post concerning this but my question is more specific.
For you inside players:
Are you walking to your target,(ie..shoulders, feet facing 5th arrow and your slide foot ends up facing that arrow at the line? Or are you walking straighter with just your body, torso angled to the right at the target, sort of "crab walking" foot over foot, almost sideways in a way? Or simply walking straighter, feet straight, but angling body towards the target the whole time?

I am a down and in player and really the furthest out i tend to go is left foot on about 25. I usually take a 4 step approach, crossover the first step, opening my shoulders and close towards the target at the end.

I've done it a couple of ways and I think I do it differently depending on how deep I am playing. The house I currently do all of my bowling at I rarely get in to the third arrow much less the fourth or fifth. On the few occasions I do get to move in to the center arrow I walk on an angle parallel to my target line.

If I move in deeper, I walk more with the boards. Maybe a slight angle but I angle the body more as well. If I have to go deeper than the fifth arrow I think I transition to the "side step" method. I know I used to bowl like that all the time before I started to try to improve my game.
HS:763

2012-13 Winter Season
HG:280
HS:758

#129593 - 06/09/10 12:12 AM Re: Shots from the 4th to 5th arrow [Re: FuriousSam]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
Only one reason. Versatility. It's not going to be my "A"game or main go to approach. I like to understand different techniques and sort of mesh them into my game. This is something Im doing on my own practice time not league.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#129598 - 06/09/10 03:09 AM Re: Shots from the 4th to 5th arrow [Re: evilash71]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43 Male Ohio
One thing that I do that you might like and it may help you play inside easier is this: Play every shot, like a down and in shot.
How? You move the lane in your mind, if your right handed and your going to play the 4th arrow, you square off to the target, you slant the gutters to the right, and you shoot your down and in shot. You can really shoot the same ball if the conditons allow it. Look up Ron Clifton's tips on the web, he covers this, and even shows a picture of what you should visualize.
You just move everything in your mind and shoot the fourth arrow just like you do the second arrow. This really does work, and it keeps you from messing your good release up. I was never able to play inside with high scores until I started doing this. I shot my first 300 game using the fourth arrow doing this method. Most people when they first start to play inside try to put more on a ball and actually throw a weaker one, but the number one reason they mess up is because they feel uncomfortable. So make your self comfortable by throwing your down and in shot, with the right mindset and visualization.
Good Luck

#129599 - 06/09/10 03:20 AM Re: Shots from the 4th to 5th arrow [Re: Revenator]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43 Male Ohio
When you go to Ron's website click on playing deeper. Then scroll down to the image I'm talking about.

#129601 - 06/09/10 05:23 AM Re: Shots from the 4th to 5th arrow [Re: Revenator]
Dennis Michael Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
this is where I have to trust the ball. And, that doesn't happen often. I actually target the 4 board at the break, but it is rolling between 4 and 5 at the arrows. I can't have anything on the release, and come out pretty flat, just letting the ball feel the lane. It does as it goes into the dry and turns. Had a couple of 299's this past year. But, the lanes had to be right, med to dry.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Ball Speed Calculator
by Joe Bowler - 27 minutes 40 seconds ago
Storm IQ Tour Fusion Video Ball Review
by Joe Bowler - Today at 07:41 AM
Approach Advice
by Joe Bowler - Today at 07:16 AM
New Targeting Formula
by Joe Bowler - Today at 06:15 AM
My complete set of 8 PBA 2014 League jerseys!!!
by BIGHMW - Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Problem hitting my target/mark.
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - Yesterday at 10:27 PM
So, got my first ball.....
by Lonemorf - Yesterday at 03:39 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:00 PM
PBA League Finals - Sunday 2:00 pm ET on ESPN
by sk8shorty01 - Yesterday at 10:47 AM
How to match a ball to the player's style?
by Joe Bowler - Yesterday at 07:41 AM
15lb New Jet Bowling Burner Bowling ball for sale.
by AviationAlley - 04/14/14 10:16 PM
First day at lanes-.beat myself up...
by BowlerBill - 04/14/14 08:49 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.