BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12949 - 04/29/05 04:03 PM Re: How important is eye dominance?
SnitGTS Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/m/NJ
You should check your local lanes to see if they have any specials. At my local lanes on Sunday night I pay $10 for 3 hours bowling. Which could easily turn into 20+ games depending on how many people I'm with. I'm not sure what the conversion is between the dollar and the pound, but I can get a meal at a decent place for $10.
Jay

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#12950 - 04/30/05 02:17 PM Re: How important is eye dominance?
Averagely Unique Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: M/28/USA
Nice idea Jay, but in the small town where I live there are no such things as bargains. Partly due to the greediness of the owners and partly due to the (mis)management of the guy that runs it under them (who takes a cut of profits I believe). So - no - we don't get deals - all we get is lots of pin jams and balls stuck at the back getting razored until they eventually get back down the ball return. Sad really - and probably the title of a new thread.

We only have one house in my home town here - nearest one is another 20-30 miles away and is even worse with less lanes.

Even paying league rates games come close to $3 a pop, and lane rental is $12 per hour - which is not much better than just paying by the game. Even then - lane rental is only between certain hours. Sheesh. I wonder if anybody else has this problem, or is it unique to my town - I won't name the town!

AU - Peace

#12951 - 04/30/05 05:26 PM Re: How important is eye dominance?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Hi AU

Pricing is a problem in many places. In San Jose games are topping out at 5.25 each. In Sacramento we have one house that doesn't even offer by game pricing. They only rent lanes by the hour and it's $18/ weeknights, $29/weekend nights. Shoe rental ( I know most of us don't need them) is $3. The house I choose to bowl in is a privately owned house and their games are 4.25. As a league bowler, we get games for $2.

Unless I am in a league at a particular house, I really can't afford to bowl in other houses right now. I make up for that by going to local tournaments when I can.

Erin

#12952 - 04/30/05 10:52 PM Re: How important is eye dominance?
Averagely Unique Offline
League Bowler

Well Erin, I guess there are more extortionate houses than mine. It's robbery in some cases. Now - if the lanes are well-maintained, and PARTICULARLY the pinsetting is correct, then a higher price per game is more acceptable I suppose.

Still - for a sport that needs to raise its profile from being just an occasional fun thing for most people (I know participation is high though) - prices need to be more proprtionate.

Our house does not even have ONE - yes ONE - qualified mechanic to maintain 32 old AMF pinsetting machines. Absolute disgrace. The manager isn't even prepared to put a little hand in pocket and pay the staff to go on a weekend training course to give them at least a rudimentary knowledge on how to fix things.

It's cost-cutting of the worst kind. And very damaging in the long run. You cannot bowl on ANY of these lanes in even a single game without at least one pin jam.

Maintaining a good set of machines, and a good house costs a little cash - but the longer they leave it - the more they're gonna have to pay in the long run. Replacement machines - at least $50,000 a pop right? Or there abouts anyway.

Monopolies are not a good thing. Another well-run house in this town would kill the other for sure. Why improve if they don't need to - that's their attitude. Even the new synthetics were laid on old wood lanes instead of tearing them up.

Makes me mad. All the league bowlers complain - but no joint effort seems to be made to get a change.

Grrr. Any thoughts? A note to the BBB perhaps?

AU brickwall

#12953 - 05/03/05 12:48 PM Re: How important is eye dominance?
SnitGTS Offline
League Bowler

Wow that sucks! I must have 10 different houses within a 15 minute drive of my house. On Friday/Saturday nights there rates are still pretty high, in the range of $5 a game. The house I bowl in my league at gives us a dollar discount on each game cause we're in a league, so during the day on weekdays it's $3.25 (with the dollar discount) and $1.50 after 11pm (when we usually bowl)
This place was actually built 4-5 years ago, after the original alley burned down. So we have some nice machines and lanes. I think they have a couple qualified mechanics, not 100% on that though.
If enough of you are mad about the lane conditions, have them stop bowling until repairs are made. Like you said, money talks, and that might be the only thing that the owner will listen to. Hope things work out for you there!
Jay

#12954 - 05/06/05 07:14 AM Re: How important is eye dominance?
Averagely Unique Offline
League Bowler

Yes Jay - nice idea, but it won't happen. I should mention that I do actually live in the US ($10 won't get you much in UK my friend!)

Well, the reason nothing will happen is because:-

(a) the guy that runs the house is hardly ever there and actually has very little power to change things - the owners just get maximum profit with minimum investment in both the house and the employees.

(b) a large percentage of the house's bowlers who could make a real difference are old school - that's to say they have all been bowling there forever, know how bad the machines are, complain amongst themselves, but can't really be bothered to bring about change - who knows - maybe it's my job to get things stirred up - the 'outsider' Brit coming in and causing havoc - LMAO begging

#12955 - 05/06/05 10:51 AM Re: How important is eye dominance?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Incidentally, I am pretty good at taking most if not all hook out of my pick up shots - so I don't think that's much of a factor, if at all.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">AU, I noticed this statement you made in the thread. Changing hand release is the worst way to mess up your game and muscle memory. Once you start fooling around with it, its pretty hard to get it consistent again. Why are you doing this? If you pick up a plastic ball, then you never have to change your hand release to pick up spares. That's the point of a plastic ball. You've taken the lane condition out of the equation and can release consistently. Every pro I've watched uses a plastic ball. There's no extra honor in using your strike ball for spares. If its only a matter of $50 - $75 to pick up 90% of your spares then its worth it. Bowling is such a repetative sport that even slight changes in patterns can really mess you up.

another comment </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA"> And I think each was an easy single pin, and each time I barely missed to the right of pin. Very annoying </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">And it brings to my mind that your eye dominance thing is just there, its not the root of your problems. The above statement tells me you may not be focusing/concentrating enough on those single pin spares. Its easy to get wrapped up in the "why the heck did I leave that", and then not give the spare all the focus it needs. Also, wiffs can be caused by really extreme backend conditions. In other words, you expect the ball to hook a bit more then it did (sloppy backends and/or lots of middle oil) or man! the ball ran past that one (strong backends and/or shorter oil). You have to adjust your spare shooting formulas to fit the backend condition you have that day.

Erin

#12956 - 05/06/05 11:36 AM Re: How important is eye dominance?
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
Amen. Say it again, sister Erin, for those who may have missed it. Well put!

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#12957 - 05/07/05 02:20 PM Re: How important is eye dominance?
SnitGTS Offline
League Bowler

Erin,
I have a question about your logic for not using your strike ball for spares. First I should say that I agree bowling is a repetative sport and muscle memory is very important. I've heard people comparing bowling to a dance before, which I find ammusing since I can bowl but not dance! lol Anyway my point is, you can learn many different types of dances, and you can learn many differt styles of bowling, so why can't learning to throw your strike ball straight be another style? I know the best pros have learned to bowl more then one style, cause different conditions are better suited to one or the other styles. Not to mention they change their releases in hundreds of ways to adjust how the ball will react on the lane. (example, I bring my hand around the ball more to get some extra hook and keep my hand behind the ball more to throw it straighter) Just curious as to your rational... Thanks!
Jay

#12958 - 05/07/05 04:17 PM Re: How important is eye dominance?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

IF you are a pro, then you of course become proficient in a variety of hand releases and learn to adapt them to the required lane conditions. Remember these are people that make a living bowling. They bowl 100s of games each month. They have the background, coaching, dedication, time, and equipment to be out there every single day constructively working on their game. Most league bowlers are working on what the pros consider the tip of the iceberg to bowling. For most league bowlers, if you can just repeat one hand release and do it consistently week after week, that's great. The very best league bowlers maybe become proficient in two or three releases. And that's a big maybe.

And of course there's more then one way to skin a cat when it comes to spare shooting. AU has mentioned that he misses more spares then he wants. Therefore whatever way he's doing it (changing hand position and using his strike ball) is not really working out as well as it could. I use my strike ball for nearly 100% of my spares. I basically use my plastic for 10 pins (RH bowler) and because our lanes are oily with little back end, I've found I don't even need it for that. But using your strike ball for spares requires that you MUST learn to accurately read the backend reaction of the lane and adjust your formulas accordingly. If you struggle to do this, then using a plastic ball will take the whole thing out of play.

So in a nutshell, a large one, that's my supporting thoughts. nut

Erin

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.