BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129100 - 05/31/10 10:43 AM Re: Scam? [Re: Rocket]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
My first new car was a 2001 Nissan X-Terra. In the snow, offroad, on the highway, that was the best vehicle I have driven. I remember one day, Chicago got nailed by 18" of snow during the day. My wife was able to leave early from work. Wouldn't you know that I had to stay late. By the time I got to my car at the end of the train line, snow was up past the bottom of the doors all of the way around. After I got the windows cleared, I dropped it into 4WD high and hit the gas. After about 2 seconds, I felt it lock into 4WD. I drove right out while other people were shoveling out their cars in the lot. It was a sad day when I had to sell that to get the mini-van for the wife.

Edited by General Pounder (05/31/10 10:44 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#129103 - 05/31/10 10:45 AM Re: Scam? [Re: Rocket]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
thanks Rocket. been busy here, and don't get on the pc much, too much work to do outside, lol.
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

#129128 - 05/31/10 01:50 PM Re: Scam? [Re: tbill]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
A plow on an Escape or Liberty? Maybe get an older Jeep Wrangler set up with one or an old pick up truck with one. My current truck as the mount but I don't have plow/pump set up. I could have made some good money this past winter if I did. My truck was able to make it out of my back yard into the unplowed alley with 30 inches of snow and make a track like a super sanded heavy oil bowling ball.
HS:763

#129172 - 06/01/10 01:05 PM Re: Scam? [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Here is another scam one that goes on every day and I have had it happen to me at least once. Here is how it goes:

You book a flight for a cheep fare saving hundreds of dollars, as time goes on the flight you are on gets more expensive and the airline wishes you had never been born, so what they do is they change your itinerary so that it is so tight to your connecting flight that you will most likely miss it unless all goes 100% perfect.

Even if that happens your luggage (if any) will not make the flight because the flight crew needs at least an hour to figure out which bag is supposed to be on what flight and get it there.

So if you don't make the flight they try to sell you a ticket on the next available flight for $$$ more and a nice processing fee on top of that for missing your other flight too.

If you happen to catch that they changed your itinerary in time you can deal with it before hand like I had to today and only cost you $150 for the service fee for altering your flight that they just altered. I lucked out that the seat and flight were still available and my travel agency (orbitz) stood up for me and fixed it. I imagine many others deal with this horse [censored] every day and aren't so lucky. I wish them well.

#129173 - 06/01/10 01:11 PM Re: Scam? [Re: CoachJim]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Here is another scam one that goes on every day and I have had it happen to me at least once. Here is how it goes:

You book a flight for a cheep fare saving hundreds of dollars, as time goes on the flight you are on gets more expensive and the airline wishes you had never been born, so what they do is they change your itinerary so that it is so tight to your connecting flight that you will most likely miss it unless all goes 100% perfect.

Even if that happens your luggage (if any) will not make the flight because the flight crew needs at least an hour to figure out which bag is supposed to be on what flight and get it there.

So if you don't make the flight they try to sell you a ticket on the next available flight for $$$ more and a nice processing fee on top of that for missing your other flight too.

If you happen to catch that they changed your itinerary in time you can deal with it before hand like I had to today and only cost you $150 for the service fee for altering your flight that they just altered. I lucked out that the seat and flight were still available and my travel agency (orbitz) stood up for me and fixed it. I imagine many others deal with this horse [censored] every day and aren't so lucky. I wish them well.

Fly Southwest.

#129183 - 06/01/10 02:15 PM Re: Scam? [Re: General Pounder]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Rocket, take the money and move to Florida and then you won't have to worry about shoveling snow anymore! Might have to wash the sand off the drive though smile .
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#129185 - 06/01/10 02:26 PM Re: Scam? [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I was waiting for the scam thread to cover buying swamp land in Florida. Don't forget your snake and alligator repellent. grin
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#129189 - 06/01/10 02:51 PM Re: Scam? [Re: General Pounder]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Fly Southwest

Did you hear what happened to Kevin Smith (director of the movie "Clerks")?

He bought two tickets for just him to fly in business express or what ever their highest level is (where you get to board first). His flight was delayed and he barely made it to the gate for his connecting flight, but he made it. He gets to the gate and they tell him the flight had already boarded and to take what ever seat was available. He found a window seat next to a thin built older woman, and buckles in. Next thing the flight attendant comes over and tells him he is going to have to leave the plane because he is too fat. Needless to say he was not pleased, the lady next to him was fine and he wasn't spilling over into her seat or anything like that.

I'm as big as Kevin Smith (for now hooray surgery), so I don't think Southwest will get any of my business just for the way they treated Kevin Smith.

#129191 - 06/01/10 03:36 PM Re: Scam? [Re: CoachJim]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
My car is in the shop today. It was due for regular maintenance, plus it was vibrating when braking over 40 miles per hour, and the A/C was not staying cold. I took it in this morning and got a call this afternoon that there are over $3,000 worth of repairs. What?! The trade-in value for the car is supposedly only $2,500 (2002 Honda Civic with 180,000 miles).

After going through the list of suggested repairs and saying no to most of them except changing the oil, replacing the brakes and rotors, and recharging the freon, plus a few miscellaneous items, the cost of repairs is still around $900. I find myself an unwilling participant in this routine scam. How can a car built with parts a, b, and c be worth less than the cost of a + b + c?
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#129222 - 06/01/10 07:51 PM Re: Scam? [Re: Joe Bowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: General Pounder

Fly Southwest.

I believe if I can't drive somewhere in a reasonable amount of time, that place ain't worth going to.

Quote:
Fly Southwest

Did you hear what happened to Kevin Smith (director of the movie "Clerks")?

He bought two tickets for just him to fly in business express or what ever their highest level is (where you get to board first). His flight was delayed and he barely made it to the gate for his connecting flight, but he made it. He gets to the gate and they tell him the flight had already boarded and to take what ever seat was available. He found a window seat next to a thin built older woman, and buckles in. Next thing the flight attendant comes over and tells him he is going to have to leave the plane because he is too fat. Needless to say he was not pleased, the lady next to him was fine and he wasn't spilling over into her seat or anything like that.

I'm as big as Kevin Smith (for now hooray surgery), so I don't think Southwest will get any of my business just for the way they treated Kevin Smith.

I have a friend that is visiting old friends down in Florida this week. I'm pretty sure he flew down since his truck is parked at his place. Maybe he took a train but he was thinking of flying down and was worried about the same thing. He's a big guy too, 6 ft and 325+.

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
My car is in the shop today. It was due for regular maintenance, plus it was vibrating when braking over 40 miles per hour, and the A/C was not staying cold. I took it in this morning and got a call this afternoon that there are over $3,000 worth of repairs. What?! The trade-in value for the car is supposedly only $2,500 (2002 Honda Civic with 180,000 miles).

After going through the list of suggested repairs and saying no to most of them except changing the oil, replacing the brakes and rotors, and recharging the freon, plus a few miscellaneous items, the cost of repairs is still around $900. I find myself an unwilling participant in this routine scam. How can a car built with parts a, b, and c be worth less than the cost of a + b + c?

Yeah, they love to recommend all these other things, sometimes it's stuff like flushing the power steering fluid, just to make some more money and make the store look good.

As for the scam of a car built with parts a, b and c being worth less than the cost of the parts, that's the shops mark up on the parts plus the labor cost, which is at least $60 an hour if you are lucky. Each repair takes X amount of hours according to the book even though it rarely takes that long for those that do it every day.

I do my own repairs when I can because of that. I'm going to need new brakes and rotors on the front of my truck very soon. Several different shops want $480+ to do this. I can get the pads and rotors for probably $200 or less unless I want to get something special and do it myself.
HS:763

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.