BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128951 - 05/29/10 06:43 AM Which is more dissappointing?
Mattdean76 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
Is is more dissappointing to you when you throw perfect shots and get the right reaction and don't carry or does it frustrate you more when you throw bad shots and know what you did wrong?

This week my 3rd game I had finally locked myself in. Right ball, right shot, right everything. I threw all but one shot exactly where I wanted it, the right speed, hit my target area dead on, and excluding one shot hit dead flush. Left a 7 pin, a 9 pin and 2 10 pins, shot 227 (scratch) and lost by 3 pins to a guy who shot 248 (excellent bowler, and was getting quite the carry0

So which makes you madder, not executing or not getting the results?

15# Brunswick Power Groove Dry R
15# Global 900 Creature S40
14# Faball Purple Hammer (spare ball)
15# Rotogrip Mars Pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#128954 - 05/29/10 07:48 AM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: Mattdean76]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Not executing. I can control my Execution I can't control the bounce of the pins. If I'm hitting my mark, pounding the pocket and leaving a pin I can try to make an adjustment to try to carry it. If I'm spraying the ball all over the lane how can I adjust? Sure I might get some strikes in the process, but I can't adjust when even those errant shots start missing the pocket.
HS:763

#128957 - 05/29/10 08:43 AM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: Mattdean76]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you are executing properly then the only reason you aren't carrying is that you don't know why you aren't carrying. Lack of knowledge leads to frustration and eventually anger.

Learn to watch the rotation of the ball and make the proper adjustments. Watch how the ball finishes on the 9 pin (right handers). The ball finishing to the left of the center of the 9 means the ball is hooking too much and you need to give the ball more room or use a stronger ball to get it to burn out. If the ball is finishing to the right of the 9 it usually means the ball is either skidding through the back end, or not skidding enough to where it is burning out and over deflecting, both of these give entirely different ball motions off the break point so it is not hard to figure out if you can just train yourself to look for it.

Does this mean you will never leave another corner pin, of course not, but you will at least have a clue what to do when it appears.

#128962 - 05/29/10 12:15 PM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: CoachJim]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 58/M/Camano Island, WA
Definitely not executing. Coach is right, except for an occasional stone 8, there's always a reason why you're leaving single pins on apparently dead flush shots. If you're executing correctly, you can then make adjustments knowing that you'll be able to execute them properly.

If you can't execute then you're lost when you stop carrying.

Current Avg: 199
Current Game: 266
Current Series: 669

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#128968 - 05/29/10 01:17 PM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: wklstoy]
TAR31 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/NC

Not executing. I can deal with leaving pins if I'm hitting my mark and everything. Thanks for good advice Coach
High Series- 649
THS AVG- 203.87

Black Widow Sting
Evil Siege
Profit
Freeze
Mutant Cell
Uranium Buzzsaw
T-Zone(Spare)

#128971 - 05/29/10 02:52 PM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: TAR31]
Unclesalty Offline
Action Bowler

Well, after what Couch Jim said, I think from now on I'll be more upset with Execution.

#128973 - 05/29/10 03:23 PM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: Unclesalty]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
If the other guy is carrying and you are not, he is DOING something you are not. Watching his ball reaction can give you a clue as to what to do to even up the odds.

I used to never watch my opponents bowl. If they got lucky, I don't need to know it...BUT, I have had to learn to watch the other guy's shot for info while ignoring his results. It is very frustrating in a head to head match if the other is carrying the world and you cannot seem to catch anything, even flush.

I agree with the others that not executing is MUCH more frustrating. When I cannot make a shot I feel like I cannot compete with anyone. And yes, that DOES happen. When I am executing I have a chance of using all the info I have acquired over the ages to my advantage. If not, there is very little chance of using that information.

As an aside, frustration - and other emotions - rarely do anything positive for me, during competition. Cold analysis is a better tool for winning matches.

Edited by 6_ball_man (05/29/10 03:24 PM)
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#129001 - 05/30/10 03:10 AM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: 6_ball_man]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
When you aren't executing, take a few shots to try to figure out what it is that's causing the problems you are having, have a teammate that knows your game watch you bowl and help you figure it out. 90% of the time the problem is from the set up to the start of the ball.

This is the reason a free swing is so important because if you use a free swing all you need to worry about is staring the ball with your right foot (right handed left foot for lefties), anything that happens after starting the ball properly should happen on it's own if you are doing anything after that point then most likely that is what's causing your problems.

This game is very easy and is a finesse sport it is not for lumberjacks so if you are trying to take out your frustrations by chucking the ball down the lane then you need to go chop wood or lift weights.

Pete Weber is one of the most powerful bowlers of all time and most women could kick his butt, so being super strong is not an advantage in bowling and using excessive muscling in the swing and approach will not help you score better.

#129002 - 05/30/10 03:32 AM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: CoachJim]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I'd have to say that I dislike it quite a bit when I'm not executing. It really is trying because then you have to try and figure out what is going on and how to fix it. And let's say you go into a league night focusing on one thing and you aren't doing it, that becomes most annoying.

As for carry, that's all lane/pin reading and adjusting accordingly to increase the likelihood of you putting ten in the pit.

What is really frustrating for me is when I'm executing and having a rough time with carry or the conditions and someone else is spraying the ball all over the lanes and going on 5-6 in a row. I suppose I should chalk it up to luck because it'll happen at sometime I suppose.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#129010 - 05/30/10 06:40 AM Re: Which is more dissappointing? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
What u leave reveals a lot about your delivery... Think about what u are leaving, soft or ringing 10 pins, cold 8 or 9 pin... Look at your rotation on ball, or angle of entry, when I'm a little wider I leave cold 8 pins (leftie).. Coach Jim had good points..

An important question perhaps I might ask is are u hitting your target, if not, then what can u expect??? If u are missing, then fix that problem first, if u aim at an area then make sure u are accurate, remembering that your ball may still have between 5-15 ft depending on breakpoint to go, thats still a distance to cover allowing yourself to get right into the pocket. Big room for errors like marginally light or too high hits..

Just my 2c worth.
By the way I get more annoyed when Execution goes rather than scores. Scores will follow on generally speaking when u are executing delivery well.

Edited by looseleftie (05/30/10 06:41 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by djp1080 - 01/06/20 10:55 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.