BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128721 - 05/26/10 12:06 AM Alright, problems.
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/ct
Ok, I just uploaded a video of myself. its a slo mo of me with the ball up to my face, and on the same video theres a smaller one of me with the ball at a 90 degree angle. both of which i am getting the same problem of the ball coming around me.

although i have read the advice i was given in my earlier post. I Dont actually know if its my footwork thats [censored] me or if its my actual swing. I was trying to work o0n getting my hip out of the way and it just wasnt happening, i dont know if it was my footwork too fast or too slow or if it was my swing.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#128728 - 05/26/10 02:11 AM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: Zergling128]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
So I see some things that could use some work.

The first is that I'd recommend keeping your feet in line. It looks like your heels follow your intended line but since you push off for the next step with the toe and ball of the foot. I can't help but think that, that is throwing off your balance and accuracy.

Second, think of the steps for the, and I'm guessing, swing slot/plane as literally being on a tightrope. One in front of the other, and that you are walking straight merely bring the right foot to the left one, and keep them on that line.

Third, if you are using the techniques from Slowinski's article, I suggest re-reading it. I can't tell what your balance arm is doing once it leaves the ball but it looks like you aren't using it once it gets out there to balance. Additionally, read the part about the setup. Your ball setup in regards to the article isn't quite right either. If you are intentionally not doing it, no worries.

Fourth, and I think you and I are having the same issue and I think I have the problem. I have a pretty free swing but for some reason it goes behind my back. I believe that this is because of two things. I believe it is a combination of not being used to the opening and almost perpendicular shoulder and trying to get inside the ball too early. I think I have the remedy and I'm gonna test it on Thurs. or maybe tomorrow. Who knows? What I believe is the remedy is that it's all in my left shoulder. How far or not far enough it is forward, and that I have to swing the ball straight back, and then as it comes down try to work inside of it. I think it'll be tough, but I'll let you know how the results pan out.

Honestly, your pushaway looks fine to me. Maybe a tick late but nothing to cry over.

Lastly, is you finish position. Use that balance arm and get that trail leg over. It should help with get you real balanced at the line, as well as, keep your slide foot from sliding away from your swing.

Hope this helps,

The Demolition Man

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#128745 - 05/26/10 11:27 AM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

I actually dont remember reading his articles, I've read a couple of Cliftons which actually improved my game alot. Could you show me slowinskis artice?

I usually have my balance arm straight out and it gradually moves to my side with the elbow facing the pins, and upon release it kind of snaps back a little bit.

I had to re-upload the vid

#128753 - 05/26/10 12:47 PM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: Zergling128]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Sure thing. Here's the article I was referring to.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/swing_slot_btm_july_08.pdf

Hopefully I'll be able to straighten out my swing as well. Here's hopin'.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#128792 - 05/26/10 10:25 PM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Ah, thats a great article, thanks demo.

Today was league day, and I bowled the most atrocious games I have ever bowled. I kept telling myself that I didn't know who that guy was bowling those down right awful scores because it sure wasn't me. I feel like I picked a bad time to change my approach up like this. 2 weeks ago I was hitting 180's and 190's and on a few occasions 220's and my highest was a 247.

Now that my approach is changing, It feels so unnatural because I'm so used to doing it the way I usually do. With the ball at a 90 degree angle at the setup, it falls so fast that I'm running to catch up with it and theres no time for me to really concentrate. Sometimes I even drop it late because it falls faste r than I would like it to. Every single throw I had no idea what was going on.

My first game on the league today was a 103 -_-

And that ruined the entire night, i wanted to throw a match on the lanes and set it all on fire

Edited by Zergling128 (05/26/10 10:26 PM)

#128808 - 05/27/10 03:10 AM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: Zergling128]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Say hello to growing pains. It's reworking muscle memory and that always takes time. Think of league right now as another time to practice. I have and continue to do so. It'll help with the low scores that you may shoot as well as, keep the competition from keeping you so close-minded about things.

My teammates weren't the happiest campers when I started working on a free swing, adjusting to incorporate and create a swing/slot, go to a 5-step approach, or switch to the swinging-hinge. Oh well. I played mine and they play theirs, and for some reason when we get on harder conditions I manage to still shot well and sometimes better than on the THS. Plus by some stroke of lord knows how this happened, since I know about all of these techniques and their, I guess counterparts, I get asked by people to help them. It's odd because I've only been bowling for about 3 years and I still have a lot to learn and even more when it comes to Execution.

Anywho the point of my story is that while I'm averaging around 179, I'm a step or two away from getting into the 180s or 190s with a solid style that when put together is simply lights out, but did it by playing my own game. And it is hard to develop your own style of play because each person's is different with it's different quirks and comfort zones. So developing it may take a year or it may take 6-7 or longer. And as you are seeing, when you venture outside of those comfort zones it becomes discouraging because you gauge your performance by score. This is where you need to change your perspective. Consider this, if you were to ask me, Demo, did you know you had 9 in a row? I more than likely would respond, really? I was just tryin to find the 0G spot.

No worries mate. It'll come. Patience and practice and it'll show.

The Demolition Man

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (05/27/10 03:18 AM)

#128858 - 05/27/10 06:19 PM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Yeah, I hear that, and I'm one to have a vicious temper, I'm not the kind that kicks the ball return. But I get angry in my head and I start sweating, then the game is over. I have a long way to go.

#128883 - 05/28/10 02:36 AM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: Zergling128]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Well good news. I visualized swinging straight back and waited to apply the axis rotation. Overall it was a success, but I still need some work with it. Spare shooting seems to be the only hangup right now. Missed 5 easy ones, mostly cause of old habits or I swung straight like I wanted to but was in the wrong spot. As long as I didn't bend with my waist too much I was lights out.

I have a teammate like you. Let's see the internal anger is a hit/miss sort of thing. From my dealings with it, 75% of the time it'll result in his scores dropping the angrier he gets. The other 25% of the time it spurs him on to absolutely wipes the floor with his opponent. I mean beat them down hard. But like I said, about every 1 in 4 times does it help him. You may want to work on letting things roll off your back.

#128936 - 05/28/10 09:41 PM Re: Alright, problems. [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Haha yeah, that sounds like me. I made alot of progress today, though I didnt record myself, the ball was coming around me alot less because it wasn't going outside as far as usual, I also incorporated a lot more knee bend which gave me some more balance. I played 5 games, my scores were better though I cant really control the amount of revs on the ball. I'm still working on uncupping the wrist at release, mine stays cupped for the most part and my fingers flick the ball off. Since I throw down the 10 board I get alot of shots hitting the headpin. So for my 4.5 - 5th game I moved 7 boards over and lessened the amount of room for error. It travels nicely down the oil, doesn't come outside as much, and I hit that pocket 9 times for my all time high of a 255 (something I hope I don't get during league time otherwise that would be sandbagging, lol.)

And that reminds me, during my league they put me on synthetic lanes, rather than wood which is what I practice on. Is there any major difference?

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.