BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128625 - 05/24/10 06:35 PM Please help..
Rob183 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 34/m/Miami, Fl
Ok here is my video.... Please help and tell me what you think..

Back View....

This one is a Video of me doing the five step drill.

As you can see it the two problems is a bended arm and a the swing always goes away of the body.... Big problem.. What should I do about my push away? I feel that is where most of the problems are..

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#128633 - 05/24/10 08:16 PM Re: Please help.. [Re: Rob183]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Alright Rob I see a few things that you might want to work on.

The first is a real simple one. Straighten up those feet. Your body is gonna follow those feet and your left/slide foot is pointed to the left. You want to get that straight or in line or going the same direction as your line if you are playing a more angular line.

Second I'd suggest trying to walk straight. If you'll notice in the second video you walk to the left and then back to the right. If you are having accuracy troubles this is something you may want to get straightened out. Are you trying to use the cross-steps to help create a good swing slot? If so, it is like walking a tightrope good sir. It is a little difficult because you'll want to drift because you think crossover step when that is what it's called, but you want your right foot to be in front of your left. After that, rinse and repeat for the next two steps before the slide. If you aren't doing that, I suggest you try that. It'll help create a good swing plane without requiring you to move your body out of the ball's path. Quite honestly, it looks like you are walking away from your ball.

Third, I like your tempo. It's very nice. 1-2-3.4.5. It's good, but I think there is mental block going on there. Like you're afraid to foul or something. I'd suggest walking up to the foul line putting your heels close to line as possible without setting off the buzzer and simulate your approach back towards the seatee area and give a little buffer for your slide. Another thing to consider is possibly shortening up your first to steps if you are worried about running out of room.

Next is that your pushaway looks fine to me. It is out straight and starts down as you compress your second step. I think the problem you are having is that you are trying to move the ball around your hip. In which case you are muscling it out of the swing plane and that is why the ball is coming away from your body. This could also be the reason why you aren't walking in a straight line. The body naturally wants to maintain balance and with your arm swinging way out to the right and you walking out to the left, you have to walk back to the right in order to get some balance back.

Fifth, the bend in the elbow is ok if you know how to use it. If you look at TJ, Maximum Bob, and even Barnes does it a little, it can add some ummph to your game. I'd recommend trying to get your arm straight throughout the swing and then when you feel more comfortable with your physical game go back to it.

Last, is your finish position or lack thereof. I think if can sort out the armswing issue that you are having and get your feet in sync with your swing, you'll see a lot more balance at the line. Also what were you thinking in the first video opposed to the third? I only ask because you hardly use your balance arm in the first clip and your trail leg wants to go but it looks like you lose your balance and fall off the shot. In the third clip, the balance arm and trail leg are more pronounced as if you seem to be actually using them to keep balance.

Anywho, I hope this helps.

The Demolition Man

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#128658 - 05/24/10 11:26 PM Re: Please help.. [Re: Rob183]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Well Rob, you have muscles. Muscles are great and all, and lat pull downs and chin-ups/pull-ups are awesome for building a strong upper back, but they sure can raise havoc with a bowler's backswing. You've got tension in your arm, and when your arm goes behind you, your lats are pushing your swing out to the right. Try this... stand up in your living room, like you're going to swing a ball.... flex and tighten your arm and try to swing your arm straight. It will bump out to the right because of your lats. Now, relax your arm... let it swing like a pendulum... it should swing nice and straight. The bent elbow is not in itself a problem so much, and like Demo said, can help get revs on the ball. Problem is, that is does require some tension in the arm to do it. Might be problematic for you at this point.

I'd suggest to cup the ball just a little, this will keep the ball on your hand, and then try to let the arm swing free. Your pushaway is straight, so if the ball swings like a pendulum, it has to swing straight. The only reason it bumps out is because your muscles push it out. wink

Right now, your balance is not so solid...because your swing is too far away from your slide foot. This is a result of your swing bumping out to the right, as well. I'm guessing that if you can swing it straight and relaxed, that the ball will swing closer to your slide foot, and you will be much more on balance at the line.

Right now, I would really work on getting that swing straight and relaxed. Once you get that, I think that you'll will progress rapidly. thumbsup

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#128662 - 05/25/10 04:25 AM Re: Please help.. [Re: trekguy]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Here's what I think(THINK being the keyword here):

The ball is too far from your body in the stance, move it closer. Your timing might be early, and if it is, that change might help. Your first two steps could be a little too big, making them smaller might help the early timing too. You may or may not need to move up on the approach. It also seems like your extending the push away a bit much. It looks like you're going up and out with it, and maybe it's just me, but your elbow and ball seem to be too far from you just after your left hand leaves the ball. Just an idea, try copying the "right" in the picture below. You'll keep your elbow(and ball) closer to your body that way.

These are just my opinions and I don't claim to be right in them. Just my thoughts on what I see.

#128664 - 05/25/10 04:57 AM Re: Please help.. [Re: Rob183]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your timing looks fine if you were to let the ball swing that is. You need to learn to let the ball swing your arm. The best way I know to do that is to do a max speed swing.

Start by holding the ball in close to your body and up by your right breast, directly under your chin and over your right foot in the set up.

In the first step as the heel comes forward, the ball will come forward, your elbow moves forward slightly only to the front of your chest, extending the elbow past your chest will cause over extending and timing issues and like I said your timing is fine. As the heel comes to the floor and the right foot compresses, the ball drops into the swing using only gravity.

If you feel like you have to catch the ball to prevent it from falling to the floor then you need to make a trip to the Pro Shop and have your grip checked because this is what's causing you to grip the ball and pull it back. By using this exaggerated maximum speed set up and push away you will learn to develop the feel you need to fix your grip. If the ball feels like it's slipping at all in the push away you will need to go more forward with your thumb pitch. Remember we want the ball to hold onto us not the other way around.

Work on this and post more videos and ask questions.

#128692 - 05/25/10 01:26 PM Re: Please help.. [Re: CoachJim]
Rob183 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 34/m/Miami, Fl
Thanks for all the help... Here are a couple of questions for you... Should I move the ball closer to my body at start? As you can see I have the ball out with my elbow suck in my hip.. I think at this point is where I have all the weight on my arm so I tend to start to muscle the ball due to the ball being out this far... Next question is how would I know if I over extended the push away? That is another problem I feel I have at times.. I have good tempo but maybe since I push the ball out so far I engage the muscles in my arm when I do this also causing me to muscle the ball... The last thing is that everywhere you read it says keep your wrist firm.. But when I do this I feel at times I make the muscles in my arm tight... Could focusing on the forearm and keeping that facing the pins would help me keeping my wrist tight also? Thanks for your help everyone..

#128706 - 05/25/10 06:26 PM Re: Please help.. [Re: Rob183]
BowlerBob Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 40/Pittsburgh, PA
Great artwork! Is that the new version of Photoshop? j/k

Nomad Pearl 1200 grit
Dark Star Step Two
Rapid Fire 800 + polish
Ebonite Pin Slasher grey scotch (~800)

Innovative 1/2 hp Spinner

I could be wrong smile

#128843 - 05/27/10 03:09 PM Re: Please help.. [Re: Rob183]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Should I move the ball closer to my body at start?

Yes
Quote:
Start by holding the ball in close to your body and up by your right breast, directly under your chin and over your right foot in the set up.

Quote:
Next question is how would I know if I over extended the push away?

Where your push away is in the videos is fine, just out past your toe, but no farther. Over extending causes you to chase after the ball and throws your balance off, so if that sounds like what's happening make sure the ball isn't going out past your foot.

Quote:
The last thing is that everywhere you read it says keep your wrist firm.. But when I do this I feel at times I make the muscles in my arm tight... Could focusing on the forearm and keeping that facing the pins would help me keeping my wrist tight also? Thanks for your help everyone..

You will have to experiment with this, video tape your wrist and see if "Keeping it pointed to the pins" puts your wrist in a good position. Thoughts that works for you might not work for someone else. What ever thought you need to put your wrist in position is what you need to do, try it and video tape and see for yourself.

It takes skill to learn to control different muscle groups without involving the entire arm from finger tips to shoulder/back. If you are just standing there and you bend your wrist forward, does your elbow or shoulders bend? If they do you need to learn to work these muscle groups independently before bowling, then incorporate it into your game when you can work just your wrist.

#128852 - 05/27/10 05:36 PM Re: Please help.. [Re: CoachJim]
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...

Here is a video that might help you. Watch it several times, note how his right foot moves in front of left, as ball moves forward and drops down into swing.Watch his left hand come off the ball and ball drops with gravity. Watch his non-bowling arm and how it moves. He is rolling a pretty straight line all very basic.
I commend you and your friend wanting to gain some knowledge
about bowling. Practicing together can be lot of fun.
Good Luck

#128875 - 05/28/10 12:53 AM Re: Please help.. [Re: Time-To-Roll]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
well,I think you are running up there too fast. And you cannot get any balance at the line because you are so rushed. Whenever you end up on your right foot, you lose leverage at the line. When you lose leverage at the line you have to make up for it in muscle. But your swing and power will be much easier to achieve if you can get a more measured cadence to the line and find some balance at the finish position. Which usually means you need to set up balance at the second to last step.....not the last step. You already need to be ready for it by then.

Watch any of the pro bowlers or any of the very high average local bowlers they are posted and balanced at the line.

Erin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by djp1080 - 01/06/20 10:55 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.