BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128482 - 05/22/10 06:14 PM Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
Here are two excerpts of my lesson with Mike Jasnau, on May 9th, at USBC Nationals. Not including the practice plan he provided, what stands out most (for me) viewing these is how he focuses on the process, not the end results. Also, at the end of the lesson, he emphasized that my future practice sessions focus on working on one thing at a time, for not more than 10 to 20 shots, then switch to working on something else.

Since these video are kinda small, a better view would be to open them in YouTube, then in full screen mode (just a suggestion)

Anyway, I'm not looking for a critique, since I already received one. This is just for those that have not had a lesson before to see the benefits of having a trained eye focusing on your game...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#128489 - 05/22/10 08:47 PM Re: Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals [Re: leftykev]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Just trying to follow some of the changes made. Looks like you were pushing away slightly up and out. But he had you go right into the swing with more of a down and out motion, in addition to making that move slightly earlier. This is what made your feet quicker. Is that all correct?

The part I don't really understand is he said you were pulling on the ball to catch up in the right video but you were in the same position on the third step in both videos(if you're in the same position there, I don't see why one would muscle either one). He was saying(I believe) the feet were quicker on the left so you don't have to muscle to catch with with the swing. But it's not really registering in my brain how that makes much sense. Unless the (down)swing speeds up with the feet, quicker feet means you're getting more ahead of the ball. But you're not, timing looks the same from the end of the third step to the release. Kinda just thinking out loud. Trying to understand it all.

And it didn't look like you were muscling before the change to me. Just saying.

#128490 - 05/22/10 09:06 PM Re: Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals [Re: Jay R.]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

I had a lesson with Mike in 2009 in Las Vegas. And, based upon that lesson, I had him focus on three areas for this lesson,

1. Timing
2. Swing Path
3. Finishing Position

I've had late timing issues for years and as he pointed out during the lesson, the delay in my pushaway is causing me to have to play catch up, getting back in time between my 2nd and 3rd steps. I am doing that by pulling the ball into the backswing, which requires muscling my swing. This muscling causes me to pull the ball behind my back, in addition to my fist step moving left and my pushaway moving left, resulting in the backswing going right (and behind my back).

The muscled swing also causes me to rare back at the release point, where I am losing leverage.

The timing may look the same, but how i'm getting there is different. the after video shows me in better time, since I am starting my pushaway at the same time as my bowling side foot.

By the time you finish your 2nd step (in a 4-step approach), the ball should be behind your trailing leg. In the before video, when I finish my 2nd step, the ball is still in front of the leg. This is caused by my not starting my pushaway at the same time as I move my left foot.

By getting back in time, I will use less muscle during my swing, resulting in a freer swing, a straighter swing path and allow me to get down at the release point (or have better forward tilt as Mike puts it).

Edited by leftykev (05/22/10 09:33 PM)

#128498 - 05/22/10 11:01 PM Re: Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals [Re: leftykev]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Thanks for clearing that up a bit, makes sense now. Looks like you have a good game there, good luck on your improvement.

#128513 - 05/23/10 06:53 AM Re: Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals [Re: Jay R.]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
Good Job Leftykev !

I am still suffering from pushaway.
And looking at your video made me reflect about my timing errors.
I think I am a second late or so.

Edited by Vini (05/23/10 06:55 AM)

#128536 - 05/23/10 12:48 PM Re: Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals [Re: leftykev]
GBuck426 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 51/M/NY
Leftykev,

I have the same problem as you had on the vid, where your hand was on the side of the ball after the downswing instead of behind the ball (Barnes and Ozio). What did Mike tell you to do to correct that? It looked like he was getting ready to tell you on the vid but it ran out of time. Have you gotten that fixed yet?

Nice lesson and it looks like you are on your way!

#128542 - 05/23/10 02:01 PM Re: Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals [Re: GBuck426]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: GBuck426
I have the same problem as you had on the vid, where your hand was on the side of the ball after the downswing instead of behind the ball (Barnes and Ozio). What did Mike tell you to do to correct that?

It's curious you picked up on that, because Mike and others here (mainly CoachJim) have pointed out the cause. Early turn of the hand is the result of muscling the arm swing.

Mike said by me getting back in time, I will hopefully stop muscling my swing between the 2nd and 3rd steps, which will promote a freer arm sing, making it easier to stay behind the ball until the release point.

One observation: It took me 10 months of practicing just to correct my pushaway in the before video, to get it where you see. Previously, I was not starting my pushaway till i started my 2nd step. It was easier to make that final change, since I am closer to where I should be with my pushaway. But, it takes a lot of patience.

In general, most bowlers give up to soon, when they don't get instant results with changing their game. I have total respect for ALL coaches out there, who obviously have more patience than I do!

Edited by leftykev (05/23/10 02:13 PM)

#128544 - 05/23/10 02:15 PM Re: Video Lesson with Mike Jasnau at USBC Nationals [Re: leftykev]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
"In general, most bowlers give up to soon, when they don't get instant results with changing their game. I have total respect for ALL coaches out there, who obviously have more patience than I do!"

I feel like the perfect example of that !!!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 02/29/20 01:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.