BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127768 - 05/15/10 02:09 PM Switching Styles During Tournament
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Today I was told that, during a league tournament, one must continue to use the either a singled-handed style or a two-handed style. No switching is allowed.

This is my perspective: Wha?!

Is that a USBC ruling or maybe just a house rule? Is it fair? Does it make any sense at all?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#127772 - 05/15/10 02:52 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: aoiten]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
It could be a league rule, but the USBC rule is you can't switch hands in the middle of a tournament and does not address one-handed or two-handed style (though they may have done so at the convention a week or so ago). FYI, Osku Palermaa is a well-known two-hander, but switches to one-handed when shooting spares.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#127774 - 05/15/10 03:44 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: Richie V.]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Who told you that, another bowler, or a tournament official? USBC loves two handed bowlers just look at all the marketing they are putting towards the style.

#127775 - 05/15/10 03:47 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: Richie V.]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Is this a youth league or adult league? If it's adult league then what Richie says is true, it would have to be a league/tournament rule. USBC has ruled on this several years ago. As long as the bowler is using the same dominant hand for the swing and release it is legal to go from one handed to two handed and back. In the online rule book at bowl.com, it can be found in rule 118b-Commonly Asked Questions. It is 118b/3.

Rule 118b also states: A bowler using a two-handed delivery will establish an average with two hands. When the bowler changes to a one-handed delivery, they must establish a new average using that hand.
HS:763

#127778 - 05/15/10 05:02 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: Richie V.]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Richie V.
FYI, Osku Palermaa is a well-known two-hander, but switches to one-handed when shooting spares.

Right. So could it be that singled-handed spares are allowed, but switching to single-handed strikes are not allowed? Why should there be ANY rule? As Belmonte describes his style, it's a two-handed approach, but a one-handed delivery.

There is another guy that uses a "mini" two-handed approach. They guy who was laid off from GM. Maybe his style would never have developed if rules were made too strict and nonsensical.

#127779 - 05/15/10 05:08 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: B-Hammer]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Who told you that, another bowler, or a tournament official? USBC loves two handed bowlers just look at all the marketing they are putting towards the style.

I was told that it was a youth coach who said it.

(If a two-handed bowler is scoring with a plastic or urethane ball, but a hook bowler is winning with a super, glowing, radioactive particle ball, who would be considered more skilled and true to the game?)

#127780 - 05/15/10 05:14 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Is this a youth league or adult league? If it's adult league then what Richie says is true, it would have to be a league/tournament rule. USBC has ruled on this several years ago. As long as the bowler is using the same dominant hand for the swing and release it is legal to go from one handed to two handed and back. In the online rule book at bowl.com, it can be found in rule 118b-Commonly Asked Questions. It is 118b/3.

Rule 118b also states: A bowler using a two-handed delivery will establish an average with two hands. When the bowler changes to a one-handed delivery, they must establish a new average using that hand.

What if the person switches for spares?

I think the spirit of the rule for people to not sandbag, I guess.

#127781 - 05/15/10 05:56 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: aoiten]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
When your in a scratch tourney, league, or association you can use whatever hand or hands you want as there is no handicap adjustment involved.

#127791 - 05/15/10 07:45 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: B-Hammer]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: aoiten

What if the person switches for spares?

I think the spirit of the rule for people to not sandbag, I guess.

You can switch to one handed for spares and vice versa as long as the ball is in the same dominant hand. USBC release a statement about that on the bowl.com website either last year or the year before. That is for adults, I believe in youth leagues/tournaments they have to use one or the other.

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
When your in a scratch tourney, league, or association you can use whatever hand or hands you want as there is no handicap adjustment involved.

I believe that is false, as handicap isn't the reason for the rule. Averages are still maintained and all USBC sanctioned averages have to be maintained using either one hand or the other and no combination of both.
HS:763

#127793 - 05/15/10 08:00 PM Re: Switching Styles During Tournament [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
aoiten Offline
Legend

You can switch to one handed for spares and vice versa as long as the ball is in the same dominant hand. USBC release a statement about that on the bowl.com website either last year or the year before. That is for adults, I believe in youth leagues/tournaments they have to use one or the other.

Averages are still maintained and all USBC sanctioned averages have to be maintained using either one hand or the other and no combination of both.

If youths are not allowed to switch, it might discourage them from using different styles or cause them to have lower scores. Then they may never become pros that switch between styles. What good is that?

I guess the popularity of the two-handed style is still fairly new and the rules haven't quite been ironed out yet.

(I freaked momentarily when someone joked about the helicopter technique not being allowed in league or tournament. haha I had a stronger reaction to the two-handed issue. I just hate the thought of an organisation putting unreasonable limits of individuals.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.