BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127407 - 05/10/10 08:24 PM Five Step Or Four Step Approach...
Rob183 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 34/m/Miami, Fl
Hi everyone...Thanks for all your help in the past and I hope you can just give me some good advice one this one... When I started bowling, I have always gone with the five step approach.. Even thou I avg pretty well with this approach but I am very inconsistent with my timing and release. My timing has been a constant problem due to the fact my last three steps are more like a mini hop rather than steps.. So at times I am off balance and leverage is totally gone. One coach told me that my arm is ahead of my feet by one step.. This also causes me to bend at the elbow to try to get everything in time... Sometimes it works but most of the time it does not..

Since I did not learn the four step approach first, could learning it help me with timing issues? I also hear that with the four step approach you can see issues in time better. Is that a true statement? Is there more of a benefit from four or five steps? Thanks for your help once again...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#127417 - 05/10/10 11:36 PM Re: Five Step Or Four Step Approach... [Re: Rob183]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 58/M/Camano Island, WA
I use a four-step approach most of the time, but will occasionally go to five steps to help with timing issues. I used a five-step approach for about 2 months until just this last weekend, when I started to feel like it was hurting my timing, instead of helping.

I think both approaches are useful at times. I originally went to the five-step because that first step is just a timing step - no real ball movement, just a step to get you started. And it helped my timing for awhile. With a four-step approach your first step and ball movement basically begin at the same time, so if you're off with your timing of the two using a five-step approach, a four-step approach could help.

I think it's good to learn both in any case, but I don't think one is better than the other - just different.

Current Avg: 199
Current Game: 266
Current Series: 669

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#127420 - 05/11/10 12:01 AM Re: Five Step Or Four Step Approach... [Re: wklstoy]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Like was said, if you're having timing issues going to a 4-step approach could get you more used to moving the right foot and ball at the same time. When you have it down you can go back to 5 steps and see if you can do it. Or if you simply can't do it with 5 or more steps, maybe the 4-step approach is the best way for YOU. I use 5 steps but I really don't think I've ever had issues starting the ball and right foot at the same time.

I see so many bowlers start the ball after their first(of 4) or second(of 5) step and I'm sure it's just how they learned to bowl. Subconsciously, some of them probably didn't like the faster pace of starting the ball "on time" so they adapted to the later push away. One of my team mates, a decent bowler, is like this. He has no mind for proper timing though, it just is what it is.

#127431 - 05/11/10 08:22 AM Re: Five Step Or Four Step Approach... [Re: Jay R.]
mbg1977 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 33/M/Ft/Worth, Texas
Rob,

I started with a 5 step approach, being new to the game the best thing I can tell you with the 5 step is work on tempo. The first and second step to me are the timing steps. The first step I try to feel as relaxed as possible the second step and the push out I like to feel like my right toe "catches" the ball. The tempo is where I had the biggest hurdle once I got the tempo down the timing got much better. I have the distant taped out on my floor. I do most of my work on tempo and slide in my apartment. The key for me is to not rush the down swing, my coach always stresses gravity will take care of the down swing.

Matt

The WMD's
Roto Grip Riot
Columbia 300

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by 82Boat69 - Today at 02:33 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 08/19/18 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.