BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126696 - 04/30/10 03:12 PM Storm Invasion - retreated?
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Not sure what to make of this but my Invasion seems to be acting different lately. I bought it shortly after it was released and had it drilled stacked leverage for a strong finish to complement my VG (pin under/early roll). Thereís a small weight hole just big enough to make it legal. I was really happy with it for about 30 games and all of a sudden I started having problems with it finishing even on a fresh shot. Originally it had a real nice ~fish hook type reaction playing my game-A typical line of ~9 out to ~7. It would go longer than my VG, but would finish much harder covering maybe a board or two more. Around this time the house started playing around with the shot so I wasnít sure if the Invasion was rolling out or what. I started using the VG again and that's making it to the pocket just fine with good pin carry. Whenever I switched back to the Invasion for comparison it wouldnít finish even if I threw it more in the oil.

I decided to do a minor resurface since there was some normal wear anyway taking it to 500 and then going over it lightly with 4000 (OOB). I also gave it a HW bath while it was at 500, but not too much oil came out from what I could see. Took it back to the lanes the next league night on fresh lanes and same thing. Goes long with a weak finish unless I really cut back on the speed and even then itís weaker than my VG.

I havenít experimented with it too much because leagues are coming to an end and weíre in the position round phase so Iíve just been using my VG. I just donít understand what happened and why my two year old (resurfaced) VG is way out performing this ball on the same lane conditions. Anybody having similar problems with their Invasion?

Edited by VFF57 (04/30/10 03:18 PM)
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#126703 - 04/30/10 05:24 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: VFF57]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
You were probably said something mean to her, or you didn't do her hair after the bath.

Seriously, no, I haven't had any issues with mine, and it's still at whatever I had for Nationals. 1000, 500, 420, whatever it took. Due to tape inconsistency issues between the two balls, I won't get out of the Invasion exactly the same as if I was throwing the VG so it'll roll out or at least act like it.

Definitely finish out with the VG and take the Invasion to the shop and see what they say. Weird. Hopefully, she doesn't turn out like Storm's Passion. That ball was messed up.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#126704 - 04/30/10 06:09 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: Domokun]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

Quote:
You were probably said something mean to her, or you didn't do her hair after the bath.

Could be...the honeymoon ended so quickly after 30 games. laugh

Thanks for responding Domokun. I know you bought yours around the same time period. It's good to hear yours is still rolling strong. I'm hoping in my case it's just the lane conditions causing it to roll-out and/or I need to change the surface. Next week I'll have some time for practice again so maybe I'll experiment with some surface adjustments.
Black Hammer

#126705 - 04/30/10 06:17 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: VFF57]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Cross my fingers for you that you only need surface adjustments.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#126711 - 04/30/10 08:10 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: Domokun]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Could it be that the ball is burning up and then finishing flat? Perhaps you could try taking the ball from 500/4000 to 1000/2000/4000 to smooth the surface more?

First, I would be inclined to bake it in a revivor oven and see if that extracts any more oil than the hot water bath. If that does not work, then I would consider adjusting the surface.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#126718 - 04/30/10 09:57 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: Joe Bowler]
ewn51 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 62/m/ohio
I would call Storm technical services, they are always easy to talk to, they may have a answer??
Prodigy 14# (Thanks Storm & Congratulations on the #1 Finish at the Battle of the Brands!)
Attitude Shift 14#
Hyroad 14#
Tropical Heat Silver/Black 14#
Fast 14#
Ice Storm 14#

#126742 - 05/01/10 08:44 AM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: Joe Bowler]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

Quote:
Could it be that the ball is burning up and then finishing flat?

That's what I'm thinking because I find it hard to believe that the ball died already. What's puzzling is the reaction seemed to change so abruptly from one league night to the next. I think I'll do what ewn51 suggested and contact Storm about how to properly resurface this ball. As you indicated it may not like a two step sanding.

Thanks
Black Hammer

#126754 - 05/01/10 02:49 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: VFF57]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
My initial reaction would be to move into more oil. I play with a guy that has one and when he plays kind of straight with it, it's kind of flat. Rolling out. When he moves deeper into the oil, the ball comes to life and hits hard. I would try different shots and watch the reaction. If that doesn't work, then call Storm techs.

Be aware, it is a heavy oil ball. I hope your using it in true heavy oil. For most league shots, it's overkill.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#126757 - 05/01/10 03:24 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: Smooth Stroker]
iconz116 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: NW Burbs, IL
I am with smooth here. I dont think that the ball died already. I also do think it is overkill to use on a normal league shot, unless it is a sport condition or truly is a heavy pattern. Good luck on trying to figure out what is wrong! I hope the same doesnt happen to mine!

#126765 - 05/01/10 05:22 PM Re: Storm Invasion - retreated? [Re: iconz116]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

Hope you guys are right about it just burning up. Although, I had many really good weeks with this ball on a fresh med-heavy league shot. One of main reasons I bought it was for the PBAx league this summer, heavier league THS shots, and tournaments. If I can't get the ball to move out on a PBA shot then I know there's a problem.
Black Hammer

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.