BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126014 - 04/20/10 02:05 AM Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ?
BowlingAddict Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: (23/Male/Alabama)
I think in the old days before the automated scoring system I would have prefered the Petraglia due to the fact that it would been easy to keep score.
AMF Hype Urethane
AMf Amflite
- Plastic/ Spare Balls
AMF Extreme
Ebonite Maxim

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#126022 - 04/20/10 10:49 AM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: BowlingAddict]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 58/M/Camano Island, WA
It's just a different way to keep score, kind of like winning individual holes in golf, versus total stroke score. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. It could be fun for a nice change of pace.

Since I grew up keeping score "by hand" in bowling, the traditional scoring method never seemed all that difficult to me.

Current Avg: 199
Current Game: 266
Current Series: 669

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#126049 - 04/20/10 03:32 PM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: wklstoy]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
While I do appreciate the simplicity of the Petraglia scoring system, it is likely to produce a lot more tie games and potentially a lot longer games than the traditional scoring method.

For example, 9/ 9/ 9/ would produce the same score as 5/ 7/ 8/ under the Petraglia system. I think most bowlers would agree that the first bowler is bowling better than the second bowler. The traditional scoring system rewards that bowler with the higher score.

With kids and less experienced bowlers, I could see some frames taking 5 balls or more to clear the deck. That could become frustrating for everybody. A maximum number of "strokes" would probably have to be established (like in miniature golf) in order to keep things moving.

Lastly, the pinsetters would have to be re-programmed not to sweep the deck after the second shot. I could just see the manager's face at my local bowling center after calling in a re-rack every few shots because the bowlers wanted to use the Petraglia scoring system.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#126053 - 04/20/10 03:52 PM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: Joe Bowler]
LB75 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 35/M/VA
I'd like to see it added as an option at the lanes because I think it would be great for practice sessions. Get up and shoot the 10, followed by the 7 and finally the strike ball. It would make practice more interesting I think.

Brunswick Siege
Ebonite Lanebreaker
Storm Natural

#126056 - 04/20/10 04:48 PM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: LB75]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
Although I thought it would be somewhat interesting, Joe brought up some good points. I know in our league, a team who strikes frequently often finishes sooner than those who get more spares in the game. Basically only throwing 1 ball, compared to 2 balls. I could imagine how long it would take having to throw multiple balls.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#126086 - 04/21/10 08:51 AM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: ecub]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Another potential issue for bowling centers...

A good bowler walks into a bowling center and tells them he wants to practice using the Petraglia scoring system. So he throws the first ball and leaves a 10-pin. He then spends the next 2 hours rolling balls along his strike line, never coming close to picking up the 10-pin. When he is all done, he goes to the counter and they ask how many games did you bowl? He says one frame!

I could just see the manager at my bowling center start charging people 25 cents times their Petraglia score per game. A perfect game - $2.50. A two shot per frame game - $5.00, and up from there. Now, there's an incentive to improve your bowling scores! But, obviously not good for normal practice with various balls, lines, coaching sessions, etc.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#126105 - 04/21/10 01:50 PM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: Joe Bowler]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
For a specialized event like the womens series this weekend, it's a nice change of pace, but just because most people never had to learn how to keep score by hand? No. It does make the scoring system a lot more like golf, though, so if you made a 3 game series (or up to, say, an 8 game block) one Petraglia game, then it might be a nice format for a tournament. The problem is that too many 10 frame games would end in ties, requiring roll-offs, but if you made them 30-80 frames long, you'd get a little more separation in the field.
What makes bowling's standard scoring system unique is that your score depends on when you miss (spare then 11 strikes is 290, but 3 bagger, 9/, 8 in a row is 279), and multiple frames are required to calculate your score for most frames (strike is 10 plus the next 2 balls). Golf (or the Petraglia system) does not take into account what you did on any one particular hole (or frame)- it's just the total number of shots needed to finish the course (or knock down 10 racks of pins).

Bowl up a Storm!

#126109 - 04/21/10 03:10 PM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: Fin09]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
If it was possible, the center could charge something like .25 cents per ball thrown, if a bowler wanted to use the system. Thus eliminating the issue that Joe brought up.

- Ed
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#126112 - 04/21/10 04:11 PM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: ecub]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
A par game of 15 would cost almost 4 bucks. No thanks. I prefer being charged by the hour, and not practicing with score. If the score is on, something should be on the line, which means I am not throwing away shots.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#126117 - 04/21/10 05:51 PM Re: Anyone prefer the Petraglia scoring system ? [Re: cgeorg]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
How's this for scoring?
Each frame has one shot, with the option of a second shot if you knock down pins.

If you throw a strike, you get 20 points. In this case, there's no reason to throw a second shot.

For adults - If you throw a non-strike and elect to go to the next frame, you get only the number of pins you knocked down. If you elect to throw a second ball and get all the remaining pins down, you get 15 points. If you fail to get all the pins down in two shots, you score 0 for that frame.

For kids - you always get 2 throws, and count the pins knocked down, so you either get 1-9 or 15 or 20 per frame. (or 0 for 2 gutter balls)

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.