BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125334 - 04/12/10 04:18 PM Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues
Hooker Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/M/Canton/Ludington/MI
I want to continue bowling this summer just to keep my game sharp for the fall....Bad thing is, all the bowling centers in my immediate area (only 4) are either offering PBAX Leagues or 9 Pin leagues no standard or competitive leagues. I'm not good enough for a PBAX League and I am afraid a 9 Pin League will throw my single pin spare game off come fall (primarly 10 pin conversions, my trouble spot, my 7 pin conversion rate is much much better now) I know I won't practice a lot this summer because I am an avid fisherman and golfer due to our short summers in Michigan and any chance I get I'll be out golfing or on the boat....

Any thoughts? I am sure most of you will say to try and practice but has anyone ever picked up bad habits from a 9 Pin league?

I know it sounds like a dumb question but I am curious.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hooker (04/12/10 04:20 PM)

Current
AVG: 203 161
LHG: 249 167
LHS: 610 484

Book Avg: 171 (2010/11)
Career HG: 258 USBC
Career HS: 629 USBC
Year began bowling: Fall 2008

Storm HyRoad
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Storm Tropical Storm
Columbia 300 WD

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#125336 - 04/12/10 04:34 PM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: Hooker]
VampyreBowler Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 45/Male/Thurmont, MD
I wouldn't look at it in the aspect of pros and cons in doing a league like that...look at it in the aspect of fine tuning your strike game....kinda watch and study the entry of your ball into the pocket and try to figure out you did to leave the 10 pin, if/when you leave one...and if you need to, stay after league and bowl a game shooting nothing but 7's and 10's that way you keep sharp on your corner pins

#125341 - 04/12/10 05:40 PM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: VampyreBowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
A 9 Pin No-Tap league can help to loosen you up and make you more confident in your strike shot. Sure you might not get a natural strike every shot but you don't have the frustration of having to pick up the spare if you leave a single pin and can still make the adjustment to try for a real strike. Like Vamp said, stay after and bowl a game of 7s and 10s if you fell like you need the practice. Of course you could also just go practice other times as well. I was born in Detroit, and lived there for my first 10 years of my life and I don't remember the summers being that short.
HS:763

#125366 - 04/13/10 12:00 AM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Hooker. I am in a similar situation. During the summer, I really can only bowl Sunday nights. My stepdaughter and her boyfriend want to bowl on a team with my wife and I, and really the only league available is 9 pin no tap. I am going for it. Screw it.. It is good fun, will help me stay loose until leagues next year, and as Calvin and Vamp said, I can always practice one pin spares on my own time. Also, it will help me stay loose until our trip to Reno/Nationals in June. I say go for it. Should be fun, and keep you in tune for next fall.

Cheeers!

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#125370 - 04/13/10 02:21 AM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: Vic44]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Hooker, I wouldn't worry too much about the single pin spare game. A game of practice a week will help with that or at least help you remember how to do it.

I'd look at either league as a chance to improve your lane reading abilities. Moreso in the No tap league if you aren't confident enough in your game to join a PBAX league. You can work on adjusting better to keep the ball in the pocket and get strikes in the No tap league a lot easier. Additionally, who doesn't want to confidence of going into the Fall Season with a 240+ average? It'll be more fun anyways.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#125398 - 04/13/10 08:47 AM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Hooker Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks for all the input! I was planning of joining the league regardless, just to stay sharp for the fall, but didn;t want to get into bad habits with my single pin spare game. I can always throw a game or 2 before or after league.

Calvin: Michigan summers have been weird the last 5 years. We get really only 2 - 2 1/2 months of good summer weather. I am a Lake Michigan fisherman and April/May/Early June/Sept/October we see big winds on Lake Michigan from the NNW that can really cut your fishing days down to only a couple times a week. Plus I own a Hunting and Fishing Outfitter business and my busy months are April - October so sometimes my plate is really full between work, golf, bowling, family etc.... It might sound weird but sometimes making it to the lanes can be difficult...Winter time its much easier to bowl more because less is going on for me.

I've come such a long way with my game since I began bowling in the fall of 2008 and really feel that this upcoming fall season I don't see why I can't carry an average in the 180s-190s (my last 24 games this season I am averaging right around 188) I wish now I could bowl more but I just can't at this time.

Its true, it would be kinda fun to carry a higher average in a 9 pin league. I have had success in 9 pin tournaments before and I agree it was a big confidence booster. The nice thing about it now versus when I started bowling is that when its 9 pin, I have more natural strikes now and less 9 pin strikes, even a couple 300 9 pin games smile LOL!!!!

Current

Storm HyRoad
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Storm Tropical Storm
Columbia 300 WD

#125408 - 04/13/10 10:03 AM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: Hooker]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
For improvement with your game, I would suggest the PBAX over the 9-pin. But, that comes with instruction on how to read the lanes, how to adjust your release, and control your speed. Without that instruction, PBAX could hurt your game.

9-pin should be a fun league, without much pressure. But, can cause you to swing the ball too much, especially on light oil, which it tends to be.

Either go for challenge or fun.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#125409 - 04/13/10 10:16 AM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
Hooker Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
For improvement with your game, I would suggest the PBAX over the 9-pin. But, that comes with instruction on how to read the lanes, how to adjust your release, and control your speed. Without that instruction, PBAX could hurt your game.

9-pin should be a fun league, without much pressure. But, can cause you to swing the ball too much, especially on light oil, which it tends to be.

Either go for challenge or fun.

I tampered with the idea of bowling in a PBAX league and started a topic about it. Most of the replies I got said it could really create bad habits for me and most suggested I wait until I am averaging around 200 on a THS before I go that route. Because I am still improving my game and haven't really plateaued yet, it could screw me up is what I was told. I did however bowl on the Shark and Cheetah patterns 2 weeks ago. A friend of mine knew a center that, for a few extra bucks, would lay the patterns out for us.....Needless to say I struggled on Shark with my best game being 172, but did well on Cheetah (which is a easier, faster scoring pattern) with a best of 212. That day on Shark I was anywhere in between 130-172, Cheetah I was 167-212 range.

Edited by Hooker (04/13/10 10:18 AM)

Current

Storm HyRoad
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Storm Tropical Storm
Columbia 300 WD

#125412 - 04/13/10 10:31 AM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: Hooker]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Then, you have already seen the wide disparity of scores on PBA patterns. The key is to learn how to roll, and not force your game. Your ball will do different things on each pattern.

For most at your level, PBAX is NOT fun, but frustrating. My first one was. By the third time around, I enjoyed the challenge, since I was better able to read, adjust, and learn. My biggest improvement here was in spare shooting.

Never really liked the 9-pin myself, as it was too unrealistic, as compared to regular bowling. But, I sure would like the 260 average I carried in that league, as compared to my PBAX average. This did nothing for spare shooting.

Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#125421 - 04/13/10 11:07 AM Re: Pro n Cons of 9 Pin Leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I sounds like a PBAX league is for you then if you are so concerned about your spare game losing its edge, and making overall improvements. I would try to find a PBAX league that is instructed so that way when you are having trouble let's say on the Shark or Chameleon you can ask for some help and figure out how to fill frames. And that is what PBAX is all about, filling frames. Hit the pocket and take them all down or leave yourself a reasonable spare.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.