BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125233 - 04/11/10 07:19 PM Opinions on mid level balls for THS
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
You know, I know this has been brought up but more and more I see more of the Mid Level balls being used more so on THS.
Im curious if that's more of an economical decision such as, "well why pay more for the Siege, when the Diamond Back is just as effective on the THS," or more of a conscious decision. I know where my Coach works all those guys keep their "mid level and low level" equipment there for leagues, and only break out the higher end stuff for tournaments.

Do you all see a lot of high end balls in your Leagues these days? I know when i go to Vegas i see every new ball around in the leagues but not here at home. In fact, I see a lot of older equipment being used more so now. Probably due to the lanes and the newer stuff being too strong for the THS in some of these buildings.

What is your guys take. I mean part of me says get the best ball you can afford, period. But then, there are many opinions that the higher end stuff is not best for a THS league.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#125236 - 04/11/10 07:59 PM Re: Opinions on mid level balls for THS [Re: evilash71]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Not at my house, highest end stuff as far as price point goes I see are the Mutants, a few had the Jigsaws when they first came out.

Most common at my house are black widows (Older) Fast, furious and various ebonite equipment.
Mutant Cell

#125238 - 04/11/10 08:03 PM Re: Opinions on mid level balls for THS [Re: evilash71]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
A lot of the mid-range ball is using technology from the high end stuff from 4+ years ago. It worked good then and why not now. That's one good reason. You can get a proven product for less. Those mid-range balls will also hit and carry as well as the high end stuff. I think you can even use mid-range at tournaments. Sometimes for the heaviest of oil you need to get the high end stuff but otherwise why not get the best bang for the buck?

Look at Brunswick's Advanced Peformance line. Both the Rattler and Diamondback are using coverstocks that were formulated for the Inferno line from earlier in the decade. It was a big success, they just put a different core in it. Storm does the same thing throw together coverstocks and cores that they previously used to come up with a new ball.
HS:763

#125253 - 04/11/10 09:26 PM Re: Opinions on mid level balls for THS [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
To me, on a THS, you can get most anything to work. The more revs you can create, the less you need to depend on the high end equipment to provide backend movement. On a THS, the backend is mostly provided for you, you just need to find the breakpoint in the dry part of the lane. The ball will take off. On a THS, I feel like Pete Weber, watching my ball make a sudden left turn at the breakpoint. The high end equipment works best when you can hit your target line, because they are less forgiving. The extra acceleration at the breakpoint looks impressive when your on target. When your off, it can leave some pretty designs. I feel less of a need to use the high end equipment on a THS.
Over here, you see an array of bowling balls. Some people feel the need to spend their money on the most expensive bowling balls on the market. No matter how much their average or skill level is. You see a lot of Storms and Hammers. From high end to mid level. The better bowlers will use whatever is most comfortable to them. Including some ancient bowling balls.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#125267 - 04/11/10 10:46 PM Re: Opinions on mid level balls for THS [Re: Smooth Stroker]
evilash71 Offline

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
I guess we agree that over all the mid level stuff is pretty great these days and in the end they are all tools. I do agree that the high end stuff can be less forgiving. Personally the best ball ever to me is the original Black Widow, and Ive seen guys even break that one out on occasion.

I do often see the mid range stuff in the tournaments as well which is why sometimes i wonder if the PBA guys arent using the "newest" stuff on TV a lot of the times because their sponsors want them to. Much like wrist supports a decade ago where bowlers would wear them for the extra check from sponsors. Interesting though for sure.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#125271 - 04/11/10 11:19 PM Re: Opinions on mid level balls for THS [Re: evilash71]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/ Williamsport, PA
My Mid oil ball is an old Show time Pearl from Ebonite. couldnt love it anymore, when the shot breaks down to much in the ending frames of the 2nd game into the third game, i can use it for the rest of the day. but some days i have to start with that ball then by the end of the third game i dont want to play to far left, i throw my plastic ball with a hook at the pocket, gotta be acurate with it tho.

I know im just everywhere with this post.

But in my league everyone only uses low hooking mid/entry level hooking balls, but my team. we use the bigger hooking ones whenever we can, its our "unfair advatage" that playing these deeper lines we can play longer. imo.

Edited by Taylor S. (04/11/10 11:21 PM)
15# C System 3.5
16# Yankee Doodle Spare Ball. "Captain America"
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726
Average: 203

#125277 - 04/11/10 11:34 PM Re: Opinions on mid level balls for THS [Re: Taylor S.]
Reconbbs Offline

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
I've always preferred mid ranged stuff because of the price and because they don't typically hook out of the house. But go figure all of my stuff is high end. The black widow series, granted I got every ball for 20 bucks....so yea....WIN WIN for me. When ever I buy a new ball I always go mid-range.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.