BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124299 - 04/01/10 11:25 PM Heeeelllllpppppp!!!
SiGFusion Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 31/M/Ohio
Ok, here's the video I promised of my approach and release. I already know that I'm not getting low enough, but keep in mind I'm a big guy with a half bum left knee lol.

Currently using:
Columbia 300 Total Bedlam 16# (Medium-Heavy oil)
Columbia 300 Ti Messenger 16# (Light-Medium oil)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#124317 - 04/02/10 09:44 AM Re: Heeeelllllpppppp!!! [Re: SiGFusion]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
If you have a bum knee I would suggest you adding some more slide and lower your body coming into the line. Planting and standing up tall have a recoil effect throughout the body, it puts a lot of stress on the joints and tendons.

The first thing I would work on however is your push away. You start the ball late which means you have to muscle the ball through the swing in order to hope that you can stay balanced. In a four step approach (which you are using) you should be moving the ball forward as your right foot moves forward on your first step. You should be allowing the ball to be in its downward fall as your foot impacts the lane on that step. If you were to imagine a metal rod running through the bottom of the ball, through your hand and into your right foot, this should help you get the movements down. You cannot move one with out the other because of the rod, and this is what we want. This will get you timed correctly, allow the hand to be at the peak of the back swing in your power/third step and in turn allow you to get to the line in proper timing.

This could also fix the "rearing up" issue you have right now at the line but I would work on one thing at a time until you have it well ingrained into your game.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#124375 - 04/02/10 06:42 PM Re: Heeeelllllpppppp!!! [Re: sk8shorty01]
SiGFusion Offline
Junior

sk8... Thank you. I will definitely look into my timing and work on getting lower and maybe some shoulder turn.

Should I maybe think about a knee brace to help with the effects of putting my weight (as you can see there's a lot of it too lol) on my left knee? Or should I avoid it so as not to become too reliant upon it?

Currently using:

#124384 - 04/02/10 09:39 PM Re: Heeeelllllpppppp!!! [Re: SiGFusion]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Sig, I was a full planter and now semi planter (Little slide) and like you have knee issues. Awhile ago someone on here suggested a knee band to me and it was the best $9.00 I have spent.

I can roll 6 games in a row and my knee still feels great. I picked mine up at a local CVS when I first seen it thought no way this is going to work but I was wrong.

Good luck with your practice these guys wont steer you wrong.
Mutant Cell

#124386 - 04/02/10 09:42 PM Re: Heeeelllllpppppp!!! [Re: Rocket]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Sig where were you bowling at? that house looks familar
Mutant Cell

#124393 - 04/02/10 11:57 PM Re: Heeeelllllpppppp!!! [Re: Rocket]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Sig, I have a bum knee too. I wrap it tight with an A*C*E Bandage, take some aspirin, and do the best I can. I'm trying to repair it by taking Glucosomine and Chondrotin pills...when I can remember them;)

What sk8 said is right, and I see no flaws that can't be corrected.

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#124405 - 04/03/10 02:20 AM Re: Heeeelllllpppppp!!! [Re: Rocket]
SiGFusion Offline
Junior

Originally Posted By: Rocket
Sig where were you bowling at? that house looks familar

Sawmill Lanes just outside of Dublin. Very nice center. Lanes are only a few years old. I think they upgraded from real wood to synthetic lanes. And the Pro Shop owner says they just bought a new lane oiler... Could also account for some of the lack of hook as they are still dialing it in.

Originally Posted By: Rocket
Sig, I was a full planter and now semi planter (Little slide) and like you have knee issues. Awhile ago someone on here suggested a knee band to me and it was the best $9.00 I have spent.

I can roll 6 games in a row and my knee still feels great. I picked mine up at a local CVS when I first seen it thought no way this is going to work but I was wrong.

Good luck with your practice these guys wont steer you wrong.

Which one is it? I was looking at a couple of different models in Walmart. They even have a full "cage" knee brace, but I think that would be a little too much. lol

Currently using:

#124416 - 04/03/10 09:14 AM Re: Heeeelllllpppppp!!! [Re: SiGFusion]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Sawmill, yeah very nice house Jordan bowled there in his travel league.

the Knee band I have is the Futuro Sport adjustable knee strap. You can google it for a pic.
Mutant Cell

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.