BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124083 - 03/30/10 02:19 PM New Vid
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
Alright, so I've been working on a couple things in my form since last time I posted a video, mainly focusing on balance and my release. I'm really trying to work on perfecting the modern cup-uncup release and think that I've had pretty good success so far. I've noticed that compared to my old videos my hand is now coming up in front of my face instead of over the side of my body, which is great. I've also cut down a lot of the axis tilt that was plaguing my old release, and gained some extra revs (which is surprising since I thought I had a pretty high rev rate to start with).

That being said, in this video I can see a couple problems. The second shot I am getting a bit late with my timing and I also pushed the ball too far right when I dropped it into the swing, forcing me to muscle it on the way down. I also pop up a bit on the first shot.

Let me know what you guys think and how I can improve my game some more. I'm really happy so far and have been averaging about a 205 during our spring intramural season so far, so I can definitely feel and see the differences these changes are making.

For the video from a couple months ago, see below:
http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ubbthreads.php/topics/113838/New_practice_video.html#Post113838

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#124088 - 03/30/10 02:29 PM Re: New Vid [Re: JBB817]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I see real improvement on the height of the swing. I do think you're pulling the ball down in the downswing cause you seem to be holding the ball at the top of the swing. I'd concentrate on slowing your feet down a bit and relaxing the armswing. Good luck:)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#124096 - 03/30/10 03:20 PM Re: New Vid [Re: JackZ]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

Thanks for the response Jack. There is definitely some muscling going on in my arm swing that I really am working on getting rid of, but I'm having trouble with it. When the ball gets to the top of the swing and it feels "weightless" it seems to sort of stop there for a split second before gravity wants the ball to come back down. In turn, this is throwing off my timing, just like in that second shot where it is really noticeable.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

#124098 - 03/30/10 03:30 PM Re: New Vid [Re: JBB817]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree that you are holding the ball at the top of your back swing. This is caused by the push away being interupted by you pulling the ball down into the initial swing and forcing it up so high. Your swing has to stop in order to keep you on time otherwise the ball would be at your release point before you started your slide.

I would suggest you let gravity take some of that work, you will be able to bowl longer during a shift and will have less wear and tear on the body. You will also find yourself being far more consistent because you are able to repeat shots.

Try to allow the ball to swing free by gravity and then post another video and we can help from there.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#124101 - 03/30/10 03:54 PM Re: New Vid [Re: sk8shorty01]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

Thanks sk8, believe it or not, my arm swing is much freer now compared to a few months ago (not that it's good right now, it was seriously just that bad before). I figured my swing would be the major thing to work on after watching the video myself. I'll be sure to focus on that for my next practice sessions and see how it goes.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

#124102 - 03/30/10 04:07 PM Re: New Vid [Re: JBB817]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree based on your video here. Your improvements are coming along great and do not discount that. Everyone has a starting point, some start on the third floor of the building process and some start in the basement but the end goal is still to get to the penthouse and open shop.

Keep up the good work and just continue to work on that swing because a free swing can always become more free. We all feel like our swing is effortless but once we find that little bit of extra relaxation we realize we just improved and now have a "free swing" until we do it all over again and find even more free.

Good luck in the future!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#124148 - 03/31/10 10:21 AM Re: New Vid [Re: sk8shorty01]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

Yeah I definitely understand, which is part of why I love bowling so much. Always something that can be fixed so there's always something to work on and improve which keeps me from getting bored. Thanks for your advice, and I'll be sure to post a new video after I work on my swing for a bit.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Storm Parallax Video Review - sk8sbowlingreviews
by sk8shorty01 - 08/23/20 01:34 AM
Storm Axiom Video - sk8sbowlingreviews
by sk8shorty01 - 08/23/20 01:30 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.