BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123950 - 03/29/10 06:19 PM practice
rdh771 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 38/M/GE,CH
taken from phone. sorry for the quality and me playing with windows movie maker slomo effects.

i'm an occassional bowler playing on a league with handicap system. happy as long as i don't dip below 150. plays once a week on league sessions but started adding practice games after a night with an awful 120 average. practice 1 & 2 went slightly left of target, 3 was on target.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#123955 - 03/29/10 09:16 PM Re: practice [Re: rdh771]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
What I see right off the bat is you're not always starting the ball with your 2nd step of your 5 step delivery. When you start late, you'll tend to pull the ball through and that can cause the ball to go left of target. I think if you become more consistent with the ball and the 2nd step working together will cause your scores to go up.

Edited by JackZ (03/29/10 09:17 PM)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#124026 - 03/30/10 10:20 AM Re: practice [Re: JackZ]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with Jack that your starting the ball very late. The ball should move with your first ball side step, for you that would be your second step which is the first time your right foot moves. The ball should also have a little bit of push away, as you want some shape in the ball motion. This means to start the ball somewhere near your right hip, as the right foot goes forward the ball should go forward about that same amount. This will put you into proper timing and allow you to let gravity to swing the ball as opposed to using muscle to pull the ball as you are now.

Hope that helps.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#124162 - 03/31/10 12:29 PM Re: practice [Re: sk8shorty01]
rdh771 Offline
Bumper Bowler

thanks guys. appreciate this a lot. i thought i would be able to practice yesterday but tonight is already the last session of our league for this season and i'm torn between inserting a push away or not. i guess i shouldn't be changing anything on tournament play. i'll definitely try this after.

my league average 5 weeks ago was 150 and now it's 159. i'm hoping to average at least 175 tonight so that i can bring it to 160.

#124183 - 03/31/10 06:51 PM Re: practice [Re: rdh771]
rdh771 Offline
Bumper Bowler

ok. averaged 178 so i'm happy. i do need the push away i think. i didn't exactly add it on my approach but just positioned the ball forward as if slightly pushed away and it did help on the swing.

thanks guys.

#124188 - 03/31/10 07:22 PM Re: practice [Re: rdh771]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
I'm glad you bowled well at league. You should watch the videos at this site:

http://www.nextlevelbowling.com/page.php?page_id=9

Particularly videos 1 and 2 for now, although all of them are great. I'm still working on learning everything and perfecting my own game, and right now freeing my armswing and developing good timing are my priorities. By getting the ball started with a properly timed pushaway (properly timed meaning exactly what the others have said: in sync with your right foot's first step) you set up your overall timing correctly so that you can take some of the muscle out of the shot.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.