BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123761 - 03/27/10 11:50 PM Re: how to take care of the ball? [Re: timmy]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Any microfiber towel will work. I get mine at discount houses. Simple Green is available at Wal-mart and Kmart and tons of other places. Actually, any mild detergent, like dish-washing liquid would probably work. I like Simple Green cause it's so versatile.

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#123770 - 03/28/10 01:17 AM Re: how to take care of the ball? [Re: JackZ]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
Many use regular dishwasher liquid, since it's a degreaser and mild.

You want to put your ball in a 5 gallon bucket and put the soap and warm water in there. Some people use hot water, roughly no hotter than 120 degrees F. Basically, it's best to gradually put the water in that high temp. Start first by soaking the ball in warm water. Wait 15-30 minutes or so. Then soak the ball in even warmer water, wait, etc. Until you get to the hot water. You have a high chance of damaging the ball if you just dump it directly in hot water.

You should see an oily film on top of the water. Just dump the water out and repeat with hot water and soap. Repeat until you don't see any more film. It's ok to get the finger holes wet, but some people cover it with something, like putty. I actually don't fill the whole tub completely, but just to the point where the holes do not get filled. Oil should not track in the hand area anyways.

I recently changed my method by just rubbing dish washing liquid on the ball then rinsing it under a faucet. I seem to get similar results and also takes less time.

Regarding a towel, I actually use a micro fiber golf towel. Golf towels usually have a clip, so you can clip it to your bag. I actually clip it to my belt, so I don't have to dig for it.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#123788 - 03/28/10 10:46 AM Re: how to take care of the ball? [Re: ecub]
timmy Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/m
thanks JackZ and ecub.
for ecub, you just rub dishwashing liquid and the oil comes out? How do you do it?

#123795 - 03/28/10 12:20 PM Re: how to take care of the ball? [Re: timmy]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
Originally Posted By: timmy
thanks JackZ and ecub.
for ecub, you just rub dishwashing liquid and the oil comes out? How do you do it?

dish washing liquid and rinsing under the water faucet seems to get the oil out. I sometimes have to repeat once or twice. I have my own ball spinner, so I sand it down to 180 grit abralon before soaking. Of course, I also use Ebonite/Powerhouse Clean N Dull & Ebonite/Powerhouse Ball cleaner after each night and wipes the ball with a microfiber towel after each frame.
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#123852 - 03/28/10 09:46 PM Re: how to take care of the ball? [Re: timmy]
ewn51 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 62/m/ohio
I found a pack of 12 at Advance Auto last week for $9.99 when I was picking up some parts. I usually throw mine in the wash and grab one from the garage I use them to dry my cruiser car.
Prodigy 14# (Thanks Storm & Congratulations on the #1 Finish at the Battle of the Brands!)
Attitude Shift 14#
Hyroad 14#
Tropical Heat Silver/Black 14#
Fast 14#
Ice Storm 14#

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.