BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123392 - 03/24/10 03:19 AM Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style *****
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore
Spinners use a style of release known variously as spinning, helicopter, or UFO. Regardless of what it's known as, a spinner releases a ball such that it is rotating along a vertical axis as it moves down the lane. Because of this motion, very little of the ball's surface touches the lane, which is what the spinner intends. The aim is for the ball to proceed until it strikes the head pin, at which time it will proceed to move down the front row of pins in the direction opposite its spin. As it moves down the row, its spin and mass deflect the pins into one another in an attempt to make them fall. Even when the ball hits brooklyn, the reversal of direction allows even more pin deflection and allows a higher chance of messenger strikes.

Spinning is a popular style in Asia, especially Taiwan, where lanes are usually over-oiled and present little opportunity for a ball thrown in one of the three more orthodox fashions to "grab" any non-conditioned part of the lane.

Because spinners do not want the ball to grab onto the lane with its surface, they often use "plastic" bowling balls. Additionally, because the chances of injury are somewhat elevated with this style of bowling, the spinner will have a tendency to use lightweight balls between ten and twelve pounds.

Facebook Spinner Bowlers Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43999894151

Edited by KahKiat (03/24/10 03:26 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#123393 - 03/24/10 03:40 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Looks like a good style to use if the center has really stubborn pins, or extremely lively ones.

#123403 - 03/24/10 05:50 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: beefers1]
whiz Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/OK
I have played around with this style if the lanes where burnt to death. Its fun but I'd rather stick to a more orthodox style...

#123419 - 03/24/10 08:52 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: whiz]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I'd recommend staying away from it. Everything I've heard says it's effective on burnt lanes...but will tear up your elbow to the point you'll never bowl again.

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#123427 - 03/24/10 09:59 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: JackZ]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Thanks for the post. I've been interested in the spinner for a few months now, but no one seems to have answers as to how to drill the ball which is a major bit of information. If I had clear answers, I would be working on this technique now. Partly I just like to be different. And it makes sense to me to use light equipment in a way that takes the lane out of play. Shooting straight is one way to do that. Spinning is another way.

After learning more about bowling in general, I've come up with a list of questions about a spinner ball.

Ideal weight? (I currently use a 14# ball for shooting straight and weigh 140+.)

Coverstock? (Is plastic really the best?)

Core?

Drilling pattern?

#123430 - 03/24/10 10:16 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
Spinners don't want the ball to hook. Spare balls are best so you don't have to work about the core or drilling.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#123434 - 03/24/10 11:10 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: mikhial66]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: mikhial66
Spinners don't want the ball to hook. Spare balls are best so you don't have to work about the core or drilling.

OK, let's assume I chose a plastic ball in a weight between 10 and 12 pounds. Does a ball in that weight range have a pancake weight in it? If so, where should it be placed relative to the spinning motion of the ball? Side, bottom, or top?

I found the following diagram which almost makes sense to me. hehe "To put CG.or WEIGHT BLOCK in the following gray block is the best and safe way to drill the ball.
source : Chun Bae ( Ebonite International)"

Still, the most important questions for me involve the fingers. How should the ball be drilled for the fingers? How snug should the holes fit? Would an oval thumb hole cause a problem?

#123465 - 03/24/10 06:35 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore
Originally Posted By: aoiten
Thanks for the post. I've been interested in the spinner for a few months now, but no one seems to have answers as to how to drill the ball which is a major bit of information. If I had clear answers, I would be working on this technique now. Partly I just like to be different. And it makes sense to me to use light equipment in a way that takes the lane out of play. Shooting straight is one way to do that. Spinning is another way.

After learning more about bowling in general, I've come up with a list of questions about a spinner ball.

Ideal weight? (I currently use a 14# ball for shooting straight and weigh 140+.)

Coverstock? (Is plastic really the best?)

Core?

Drilling pattern?

You can check out this spinners group on Facebook for more information: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43999894151

Spinner bowlers are using conventional or semi finger grip for their balls.

Best weight for spinners are 10-12lb. To prevent you from getting injuries also to deflects the pin. If you are able to throw 20MPH or more with 12lb. Then just go for 13lb instead (more than this will make this technique can't works well also can cause you unwanted injuries).

Spinner bowlers are using reactive balls too. Not just with plastic balls. Hence, this changed their games too.

Consistency is very important with this style. Miss a bit that's it.

This will teach you on how to execute the technique:

This style is very popular in Asia, where a lot of bowlers use this style. They use this style to combat really hard conditions. The approach of a spinner doesn't really differ much from that of a stroker. He just lets the bowling ball swing, where the timing is perhaps a little bit 'late'. The most important part in which this style really differ from the others, is the release. This release is called the 'helicopter' or 'UFO' release and a spinner performs this release with relatively light weight bowling balls (10-12 lbs). If he uses heavier bowling balls, the technique can hardly be executed and he becomes even more injury prone than he already is.
A spinner rotates his wrist around the bowling ball during his release, causing the bowling ball to spin down the lane. The axis will be tilted high into the air and there are lots of 'horizontal' revs on the ball. The ball will travel down the lane in a straight line, regardless of the oil pattern.
The ball track on the bowling ball is a typical 'spinner' ball track. The track is very small and far away from both the thumb and the fingers. This results in a small part of the ball contacting the bowling lane and thus little friction (making it easier to play on different conditions).
The high degree of axis tilt and the large amount of revolutions of the bowling ball will create a huge mix of impact on the pins. This will make this style very strike competitive with the other styles. A spinner only needs to hit the headpin, resulting in a 'strange' domino effect on the pins in which the bowling ball will walk down one of the two 'clothes lines' (due to the deflection of the light-weight bowling ball).

http://www.tenpinbowling.org/view.php?page=the_game.styles

Edited by KahKiat (03/24/10 06:49 PM)

#123479 - 03/24/10 08:52 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
This is what I throw after my regular strike ball goes in the gutter. It gets a strike 90% of the time (for the spare). Unfortunately, It takes a really good aim, and hurts my shoulder, so I don't bowl complete games with it. My average was about 150 (versus normal average of 170) with the helicopter, so it wasn't worth continuing.

I used to use a 12 pound ball for this. I probably should have kept it. Hmmm....

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#123481 - 03/24/10 08:59 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
abe Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Columbus, Ohio, USA
Hello everyone! I'm a spinner in the Facebook group that KahKiat linked above. I won't be on this forum all the time, but he asked if we could help to give some advice here, so I thought I may be able to help. smile
Ok, where to start? First and foremost, if you learn this technique properly, you will NOT hurt yourself, reguardless of the weight you use. People think we only use our wrist and we're injury prone. We actually turn our entire forearm to get the spin, so strain on the wrist is negligible. The reason most of us use lighter weight balls is for deflection. I want my ball to ride the outside of the rack, which with the spin, makes the pins fall sideways. 10 lbs is too light and will often fall into the channel before hitting the corner pins. I like using 11 and 12 lbs balls. Though one of my spinner friends in Singapore does use a 14lbs ball.
Plastic balls are fine with this style, and extrememly consistent on different oil. But many of us do use reactive balls. I'd recommend something not too agressive, like a Vibe. I got a particle ball, and I found myself facing oil breakdown, and wet/dry conditions, which defeats the main point of being a spinner(consistency)... I had to get it polished. The lanes don't have to be burnt up, or have any specific oil pattern for the helicopter to be effective. A ball with low reaction keeps us very consistent. I've heard that Ebonite and Hammer make balls with a special core for spinners, but they're very hard to find outside of Taiwan. But any ball can be thrown with spin on it.
I prefer using a conventional grip. I've tried fingertip, but I could not get the spin right with it. However there are some spinners that use a fingertip. It's recommended that CG be placed in the middle of the fingerspan, as per the diagram Aoiten found. With a plastic ball, the pin is CG, hence why it says "CG or WEIGHT BLOCK(pin)"... hope that clears it up for ya. wink How snug you want it drilled is really personal preferance. I like mine tight enough that I don't have to squeeze the ball, but not so tight that it "pops". I don't know about an oval thumb hole, I've never tried it.
I live in the U.S. and I'm the only spinner I know of in my City, so I've had to figure a lot out on my own. I joined the Facebook group a few months ago, and it's been great to have other spinnners to throw ideas around with. Anyone who is interested in the spinner style is more than welcome to join the group... We even have a pro from Taiwan as a member!
Sorry to be long winded, everyone. I hope this was helpful. laugh
P.S.
Oh, and if you want to make sure I actually know what I'm talking about; KahKiat already posted 3 of my videos. "Breaking 250", "Breaking in the New Ball! 243", and "6 Pack" are all me.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.