BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123569 - 03/25/10 01:57 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style ***** [Re: 10PinGaloot]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: SpareMe
I like the sound of the pins when I hit the brooklyn side.

Now I end the release with the thumb and fingers at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

I like the Brooklyn side as well. When I hit it straight from the right side, I usually get a strike! Maybe my straight ball deflects across the pins similar to the way the spinner deflects? I love the idea of using deflection to my advantage.

One concern I have is shoulder impingement.
If the arm is raised too high while the hand is turned anti-clockwise beyond the flat position, it's possible to pinch some parts in the shoulder. It happens to swimmers during the recovery phase, so it's something that's always on my mind. Especially with the little twinge in my right shoulder.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#123575 - 03/25/10 03:07 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
abe Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Columbus, Ohio, USA
Lots of good concerns being brought up, but still some common misconceptions.
Again, if proper technique is used YOU WILL NOT, NOT, NOT HURT YOUR SELF. I know it looks like you may be [censored] up your wrist or elbow, but it's your forearm that turns the ball. This is a safe technique!
Yes, form is very much like a stroker. Many spinners in Asia use a 5 step approach with 3 step timing(2 dummy steps to start). But being in the US I use a standard 4 step.
The ball has a little bit of back-up to it. It curves some, but not as much as a stroker release... the top spin really takes a lot of the reaction out of the ball. Plastic balls are fine, but reactive balls are used.
Also, the thing about accuracy; Hitting "high flush" does give us the best chance to strike, of course. But we have a TON of room for error, especially in the 1-3 pocket. Any shot in the 1-3 that isn't so light it leaves the 2 pin, gives us an excellent chance of a strike. We also get a crazy amount of messengers when we hit light in the 1-2 which gives us a great chance to slop down strikes that would make Wes Malott jealous. Lol! Even hitting the 1 pin dead on gives us a chance at a strike, and rarely leaves splits. Though like all bowlers, we prefer to avoid this because we don't want to take the chance of splitting.
Now for spare shooting; Most spinners use their same ball and helicopter release. I personally believe in Norm Duke's point of view, to throw the ball straight, end over end, at most spares. But how you pick up spares is up to you. Like stated earlier, Belmo even throws 2 handed at his single pins.
Oh, and just have kids use what weight they can handle. If they throw 9 lbs straight with no problem, they can spin 9 lbs with no problem. Again, the reason we use light weight is not to prevent injury. It's to increase deflection so the pins fall more sideways than straight back.

#123576 - 03/25/10 03:13 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: abe]
abe Offline
Bumper Bowler

Oops, I think I dropped the "f-bomb" in that last post. Lol! Sorry everyone!

#123580 - 03/25/10 03:40 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
abe Offline
Bumper Bowler

Oh yeah, if you have a shoulder problem, just keep your swing relaxed. Don't force it. Just keep the same range of motion you would throwing the ball straight. If you can't even do that, you need to take time off to heal up!

#123582 - 03/25/10 03:43 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: abe]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: abe

Oh, and just have kids use what weight they can handle. If they throw 9 lbs straight with no problem, they can spin 9 lbs with no problem. Again, the reason we use light weight is not to prevent injury. It's to increase deflection so the pins fall more sideways than straight back.

I thought you typed in "censored" as a joke. O.O

Right, right. Drill it into my head. hehe This has been very useful. In a few minutes I'm going to go and try out a house ball to see if I can do much worse spinning. Hopefully a piece of grip tape will help keep it from flying away.

#123625 - 03/26/10 07:28 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore
As for me. I will only allow my future children to start bowling when they are about 11 years old or something. If not, they might get hurt instead. Also their wrists are not strong enough yet.

Any ball can be as deadly as long they could hit the pocket. But still, they might leave some pin behind. Cause of the ball impact not strong enough compare to the heavier balls weight.

Max weight for spinners only 13lb. Do not go beyond it. You might get hurt.

Bowling style is about interest & also what you body could do. If I could hit 20MPH I would go for power stroker/cranker style instead.

Yes. There are very little rooms in US for spinners. Because all origin from Taiwan. Maybe till someday if we could see a spinner on PBA tour winning a title. From the day onwards. Everybody will want to learn & love to see it. Same goes to the 2handed style. That Jason Belmonte making us proud of him laugh

People forever out there will just see the disadvantage for things. Till they make a miracle someday.

People often said spinners are just bowlers that rely on luck in bowling. But it is not really true. You can't always win anything by just relying on your luck. To play spinner. You will need consistency. Also since spinners nowdays using reactive balls. Things changed.

If spinners style is harmful to your body. No country national teams will be teaching their bowlers using this any more. Just like a gun. You know how deadly it can be. But as a wearer, you must have your own responsibility. Knowling what is right & wrong.

#123641 - 03/26/10 10:58 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore

#123853 - 03/28/10 09:51 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: abe]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: abe

Oh, @#%&!!! Sorry! ^_-

One more question: Would heavy bevelling hurt or help the release?

(I might get into spinning sooner rather than later since my regular ball is hurting my finger.)

#124213 - 04/01/10 01:01 AM UFO--First Experiences [Re: aoiten]
aoiten Offline
Legend

So far I've shot 4 games trying the UFO style. Interesting experiences. I see a lot more lateral movement of the pins compared to when I shoot straight, even though my spin velocity isn't that high yet. When I hit to one side, many times I knocked down the outer pins on both sides, leaving some pins in the middle. I got a few strikes even, but I'm not even close to controlling the aim yet.

Using 11# and 12# house balls, it seems that I can shoot the 12# more solidly whereas the 11# seems more sensitive to errors in my delivery. The 12# also hits harder, but, I guess it will never spin as fast or deflect as much--two key elements to the UFO style it seems. I've concluded that, for now, I should work with the 11# to develop technique and accuracy.

I actually found a 10# house ball that I could get my fingers into, but it was just too light for me.

I think I rotate my hand around too late and I tend to lob the ball onto the lane. The result is that the rotation is slow and isn't perfectly horizontal. While I do see pin deflection, I don't see a lot of ball deflection. Back to examining videos. Feedback is welcomed as well.

#124216 - 04/01/10 02:20 AM Re: UFO--First Experiences [Re: aoiten]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: aoiten
I see a lot more lateral movement of the pins compared to when I shoot straight, even though my spin velocity isn't that high yet. When I hit to one side, many times I knocked down the outer pins on both sides, leaving some pins in the middle.

I've left only the headpin a few times.
The pin action is [ a- different and b- moreso ] than a hooking ball. After all, the ball is spinning, and it's angular momentum is imparted to the pins.

I got a few strikes even, but I'm not even close to controlling the aim yet.

Aim is the name of the game with the helicopter. You have to be within a half board at the arrows (or hope for a brooklyn).

I actually found a 10# house ball that I could get my fingers into, but it was just too light for me.

I use a fingertip ball. Not sure if a standard grip would give me any satisfaction. I use 14 pounds, but obviously that's not what the Asians use.

I think I rotate my hand around too late and I tend to lob the ball onto the lane. The result is that the rotation is slow and isn't perfectly horizontal.

- *Yeah, that happens. As I said, when I let go of the ball, the fingers are beside the thumb (my personal style, maybe made possible by the fingertip grip... In 1980 I did the style KahKiat is demonstrating. My new way seems easier, esp with heavier equipt).
- *Also, I do grip the ball and let go of it, unlike with a hooking strike shot. The timing of the letting go is important. I, personally, let go at the exact bottom of the swing.
- *You can learn the all-important spin move (of the wrist) by throwing the ball slightly slower so that you have more control. Once you have it down, you can throw faster.
- *No bending of the elbow, obviously....
- *You can learn aim using a straight-up straight shot. Once you have the aim down, you can try the spinner shot.
- *everything about the swing is the same as with a hooking release, so relax and don't muscle the shot.

BTW - I had 3 gutter balls yesterday, so threw the helicopter 3 times, made 2 of them into spares. Easily the simplest highest scoring shot I have, if I could just aim it that way for 10 frames.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by looseleftie - 09/20/20 05:02 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.