I see a lot more lateral movement of the pins compared to when I shoot straight, even though my spin velocity isn't that high yet. When I hit to one side, many times I knocked down the outer pins on both sides, leaving some pins in the middle.
I've left only the headpin a few times.
The pin action is [ a- different and b- moreso ] than a hooking ball. After all, the ball is spinning, and it's angular momentum is imparted to the pins.
I got a few strikes even, but I'm not even close to controlling the aim yet.
Aim is the name of the game with the helicopter. You have to be within a half board at the arrows (or hope for a brooklyn).
I actually found a 10# house ball that I could get my fingers into, but it was just too light for me.
I use a fingertip ball. Not sure if a standard grip would give me any satisfaction. I use 14 pounds, but obviously that's not what the Asians use.
I think I rotate my hand around too late and I tend to lob the ball onto the lane. The result is that the rotation is slow and isn't perfectly horizontal.
- *Yeah, that happens. As I said, when I let go of the ball, the fingers are beside the thumb (my personal style, maybe made possible by the fingertip grip... In 1980 I did the style KahKiat is demonstrating. My new way seems easier, esp with heavier equipt).
- *Also, I do grip the ball and let go of it, unlike with a hooking strike shot. The timing of the letting go is important. I, personally, let go at the exact bottom of the swing.
- *You can learn the all-important spin move (of the wrist) by throwing the ball slightly slower so that you have more control. Once you have it down, you can throw faster.
- *No bending of the elbow, obviously....
- *You can learn aim using a straight-up straight shot. Once you have the aim down, you can try the spinner shot.
- *everything about the swing is the same as with a hooking release, so relax and don't muscle the shot.
BTW - I had 3 gutter balls yesterday, so threw the helicopter 3 times, made 2 of them into spares. Easily the simplest highest scoring shot I have, if I could just aim it that way for 10 frames.