BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122576 - 03/17/10 06:22 PM Well, here it is.
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/ct
Its only one release. I think the angle is pretty bad, but tell me what you can make of it.

Its hard to get my whole body in there since I'm 6'4, and theres a lack of objects to set the camera on

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#122578 - 03/17/10 06:32 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Zergling128]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
You should let go of the thumb earlier than fingers.
In your release you are turning your hand and releasing the ball with thumb & fingers at the same time.

#122579 - 03/17/10 06:43 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Vini]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Yeah, well since I'm not gripping the ball, I don't know how to get my thumb out first, the way my fingers come out is with the ball hanging on to them by pure friction. On my down swing I just let physics take on the rest of the work

I just uploaded 6 more frames here

#122584 - 03/17/10 07:15 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Zergling128]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Your thumb comes out before your fingers and you get revolutions on the ball by staying behind it. The ball is falling off your hand because you're breaking your wrist back and your hand is turning so your fingers are on the side of the ball. Well not the side because your wrist is broken back. They actually end up almost on top of the ball instead of on the back side of the ball.
The first picture is you releasing the ball and the second is Chris Barnes. Look at the difference in where your hands are.

EDIT: In the second frame of the Barnes image, his thumb has released by that point.

Attachments
1.JPG

barnes.JPG

Edited by Lefty (03/17/10 07:17 PM)

#122585 - 03/17/10 07:21 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Lefty]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Interesting... My release must be all screwed up then lol. I thought thats how it was supposed to be, Barnes's fingers are in the 7oclock position on that first frame there, I have trouble doing that because the palm of my elbow faces a strange direction and when I try swinging like that it feels horribly awkward.

My fingers begin with the thumb in the 12 and the fingers at 6. Now at my down swing aren't I supposed to just let it all happen? When I hear of a "natural" release, thats what I've been doing

EDIT: what does it mean "breaking your wrist back"? I'm just letting it do what it wants

EDIT 2: If I wanted my thumb to exit first, I feel very strongly that I would have to subconsciously do it.

Edited by Zergling128 (03/17/10 07:29 PM)

#122588 - 03/17/10 07:43 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Zergling128]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
In an effort to describe it, breaking your wrist means the palm of your hand is closer to facing the ground te facing the ceiling. Not that you have to cup the wrist, keeping it straight(palm facing pins if your hand is behind the ball) is probably good enough.

#122590 - 03/17/10 07:48 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Jay R.]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Wow, I must be having a brain [censored], because now I cant see how I could make that work.

In my typical scenario, with my hand behind the ball, I feel like the ball would just go straight, or have very little action unless I flicked my fingers out of the ball while my fingers ended at 4 or 5 oclock and my thumb was at 10 or 11. Every video I watch, it looks like thats whats going on.

OR, if I just kept my fingers at 5, well. I really have no idea.

#122613 - 03/17/10 10:12 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Zergling128]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/ M / Wisconsin
Your wrist definately is breaking during rour back swing which it should not do. Like others here mentioned, your hand needs to stay behind the ball with your wrist straight or slightly cupped. However this takes alot of wrist/tendon strength to do. I would highly recomend a wrist brace for you and have your Pro Shop (or a different one) check your span as well as your thumb hole. You are definately grabbing the ball which could indicate a problem with your fit. Have that checked out and purchase a wrist brace. My guess is that you have not developed enough wrist strength to stay behind the ball without breaking your wrist. A brace will help you immensely.
15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#122619 - 03/17/10 10:26 PM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: puffer]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

I can assure you that I'm not grabbing it, I have 4 pieces of tape inside the thumb hole and I use a rosin bag. Its a very tight fit. I can let the ball dangle from my hand. Its a little rough to cup the wrist but not too bad, I can do it a little.

The reason I'm not behind the ball is because I choose not to be, the reason being because in my head, when I am about to release like this, I picture the ball coming down from the backswing, my hand is behind the ball, fingers at 4 or 5(right?). Where is the hook going to come from? The only way I see myself being successful at this release is if I flick my fingers out of it to send it on its way.

#122650 - 03/18/10 01:41 AM Re: Well, here it is. [Re: Zergling128]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I'm no expert but I think the hook comes from the fingers(not the hand) rotating around the ball, but only to 4. This is why the straight wrist is important, the hand can't apply rotation like this from the top of the ball. If you're going to turn your hand the way you are I think you should wait until the ball reaches your ankle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by 82Boat69 - Today at 01:58 PM
Tiered Tape...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:46 PM
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.