BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12201 - 01/05/05 04:10 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/male/London, Ontario
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by BoySa:
Secondly, it is essential right away, before you start developing bad habits in trying to make those corner spares with your regular ball. With the spare ball, you can release the shot the same, every time.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">That makes sense. I'm planning to pick up a spare ball in the near future. For now I do throw my ball straight when needed, but it does affect my consistency with the curves.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#12202 - 01/06/05 01:27 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
dcompguru Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 26/M/KY
Last night I left the 10 pin on about my second frame on the night. I stood on about board 35 and went close to center arrow. I straightened out my wrist and followed straight through on release. The ball went straight at the 10-pin. All in all last night, I picked up the 10-pin 3 times and the 6,10 twice. I never opened a 10-pin spare.

Furthermore, I wasn't trying to say no one needs a spare ball. Its good to have of course. But, I think I'm ok with waiting a couple months (or longer). As I said, I'm pretty consistent at picking up spares. I have trouble getting my strike ball in there consistently right now because I've been focusing alot on spares. I leave on average about 2 opens a game. They have generally been spares involving the 10pin and the occassional bad first ball. Which is why I posted here for help on the 10-pin.

#12203 - 01/06/05 01:29 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
dcompguru Offline
Junior

I also tried to speed the ball up as much as possible on the 10-pin.

#12204 - 01/06/05 08:13 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
No open tenths Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 29/Male/kalamazoo,mi
Sounds like you are on to a consistant routine of picking up 10 pins. Consistancy is the main thing in bowling. Keep it up!

#12205 - 01/06/05 08:29 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by No open tenths:
Sounds like you are on to a consistant routine of picking up 10 pins. Consistancy is the main thing in bowling. Keep it up! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Very true. That's why on Monday nights I still throw straight. I can throw some nice shots when I use a hook but I haven't yet gotten consistent.

I practice 4 to 6 games a week to improve my consistency and have found that games with hook balls range from 100 to 185 while games with straight throws range from 130 to 160. As long as I continue getting less than 120 with hook games, I'm going to stick with straight in the league bowling.

#12206 - 01/07/05 07:39 AM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
dcompguru Offline
Junior

It takes a while to get a consistent hook release...still working on that myself. My scores range from about 135-180. I didn't throw straight balls for very long. A hook just kinda came along natural with a fingertip grip. I mostly struggle with my speed. Sometimes I'm too fast-sometimes too slow. But, if you pick up the spares, you can still make a pretty decent game of it until the strikes start coming.

#12207 - 01/07/05 08:43 AM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
makinshots Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Female/Pennsylvania
Interesting post, thought I would put in my 2 cents. My husband uses his aggressive/strike equipment for all spares and has mastered killing the ball when necessary, mostly for right hand spares (rt. handed bowler). As for myself, I rarely go below a 95% spare conversion rate for the week (and I bowl a lot) using a plastic spare ball. The only difference I notice between the two of us is that when we are bowling on different conditions in tournaments/different houses/etc., I remain consistent with my spare game, but my husband struggles a bit more (not to say he still doesn't bowl well, just has more adjusting to do than I). As for drilling...this goes without saying, all of your equipment should feel as close to the "same" as possible.

#12208 - 01/07/05 01:29 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by dcompguru:
It takes a while to get a consistent hook release...still working on that myself. My scores range from about 135-180. I didn't throw straight balls for very long. A hook just kinda came along natural with a fingertip grip. I mostly struggle with my speed. Sometimes I'm too fast-sometimes too slow. But, if you pick up the spares, you can still make a pretty decent game of it until the strikes start coming. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I do find that at least with the hook throws, most of the misses are spareable. The hook doesn't leave splits as often as the straight throw.

I'm going to practice a couple games Monday morning, then in the league Monday night I'm going to see how it goes using the hook.

#12209 - 01/07/05 01:58 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
dcompguru Offline
Junior

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by makinshots:
Interesting post, thought I would put in my 2 cents. My husband uses his aggressive/strike equipment for all spares and has mastered killing the ball when necessary, mostly for right hand spares (rt. handed bowler). As for myself, I rarely go below a 95% spare conversion rate for the week (and I bowl a lot) using a plastic spare ball. The only difference I notice between the two of us is that when we are bowling on different conditions in tournaments/different houses/etc., I remain consistent with my spare game, but my husband struggles a bit more (not to say he still doesn't bowl well, just has more adjusting to do than I). As for drilling...this goes without saying, all of your equipment should feel as close to the "same" as possible. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I agree. With no spare ball, it does take more adjustments to different conditions for picking up spares. I make all adjustments relatives to the location of my strike ball (staying fairly close to the 3-6-9 system).

#12210 - 01/07/05 02:03 PM Re: Need help with 8, 9, and 10 pin spares.
makinshots Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Female/Pennsylvania
Great...whatever works for you. IMO the best thing a bowler can do is ask questions, which you are, and make notes, you never know when you will need something and, bang, there it is. My motto: Other peoples stepping stones may become your rock one day.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Informal poll
by 82Boat69 - Today at 10:11 AM
Hype Versus Reality
by Dennis Michael - Today at 08:50 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Made it.
by RGR - 02/18/18 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - 02/17/18 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 02/10/18 10:54 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.