BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121337 - 03/08/10 08:14 AM Re: How to bowl with a bad knee? [Re: ccs93]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 42 m
Knee problems are a real problem in bowling. Like many people here suggested, see a doctor, find out what exactly is wrong with knee.. perhaps u can do strengthening exercises.. or wear a knee brace.. All depends on what is happening with knee. Assuming u are a right handed bowler, then u are putting a lot of stress in that knee already on last step, so I would work at sliding a little, takes/absorbs impact better, and less of a sudden stop than planting, not to mention it can help your balance and timing possibly...

Another option if u cannot bend the knee considerably witout pain, then perhaps try and bend more from the waist.. I can remember some pretty big (overweight really, but that sounds a bit nasty) bowlers, they all got around that from getting lower using upper torso..I can't put too much pressure on one knee, so I work around it, its hard, as bowling your knees are so important.

I played indoor soccer for a year and a half with a bad groin, stupid!!! Through playing it did so much more damage both short and long term.. You must take your health seriously, wish I did..

See a doctor, thats step one mate.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#121354 - 03/08/10 10:35 AM Re: How to bowl with a bad knee? [Re: looseleftie]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Lunges like DD said are pretty good. Some stretches and excercises that work the legs and thus the knees are always a good thing as well. Some herbal supplements, most the ones that are geared towards joints usually have Gluecosamine in them.I take 1 tablet 3 times a day for my joints. I gots myriad of things to stress them out so yeah. And my one teammate also got some of these supplements as well and his slide knee was really buggin him, and he loves it. Also a knee brace is a good preventive measure as well. Now this I know is hard for athletes to swallow, but, go see a doctor, get a diagnosis and sit it out and strengthen it up before you return. The last part very gets competitors...until they get hit in a game or try to bowl and their knee explodes again or they ribs end up broken instead of fractured or bruised. The old adage goes something like, "Time heals all wounds." Man if I had a dollar for every time I had to beat that into someone's skull I'd make Bill Gates look poor.

Anyways, something else stood out to me as well and this something else that tends to happen with injuries...the development of bad habits. I'm not saying that planting your foot is a bad habit, but in your case it isn't helping at all. It's probably putting more strain on your knee than a slide would. For example, we've all seen bowlers fall or been the one that fell, usually because we go to slide and something is on our slide shoe. If you look at what happens to the knee, it bends forward and the weight and momentum is forced onto the leg and since the knee is the major joint in the leg as well as support it takes a majority of the strain as well. By planting your leg you're effectively forcing more weight and force onto your leg and thus your knee, while you are throwing the ball instead of transferring it to the ball. And it's not like I'm saying you need a tremendously long deep low slide, it helps. You can do things to help out your game, but if you can't no big deal. Do what fits for you and your game If a little bend is what you can do, work from there. When I first ventured into the realm of working on my knee bend and getting lower, I watched the female pro bowlers and thought D@mn! My knee definately can't do that. So I worked at, figured some stuff out that is right for me, and I can get nice and low. There isn't a right or wrong way to bowl. Each person is unique and different and thus their swings and approaches are and will be different.

Anywho, I hope this helps,

The Demolition Man

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (03/08/10 10:41 AM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#121383 - 03/08/10 12:56 PM Re: How to bowl with a bad knee? [Re: ccs93]
Russ I. Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/m/wis
Adino,
I being a person that doesn't slide much, has a fast approach, and had Acl surgery can relate.
Different days feel different but I can tell you that you need to slide. The nights were I stick on the approach I can most definitly expect pain or discomfort.
I think I'm going to look into what CCs93 is using.
PAP 4 7/8" x 0

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Rough Comparisons of Storm & Roto Grip balls
by SteveH - Yesterday at 04:33 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - 10/24/14 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 10/24/14 03:37 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - 10/24/14 02:58 PM
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by Mkirchie - 10/24/14 09:18 AM
Changing a polished ball
by Fin09 - 10/23/14 10:22 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/23/14 06:22 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/22/14 10:28 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.