BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121024 - 03/04/10 11:09 PM Scorp6 First Recording/Practice
Scorp06 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 24/M/DE
Ok, so after some technical difficulties with my phone, I got a few shots on camera. The reactive ball, dry lane combination wasn't good so PLEASE ignore where the ball ends up and critique my form. I'm taking a leap by posting all the videos I got and not just the strike balls...although I think the one shot that got recorded and hit the pocket got too much head pin and did nothing. Anyway, enjoy, again, please check out the form. I know I never once got my arm straight in front for a good push away which really bugs me so I will work on that which will help on speed. Ok I'm done blabbering. Thanks in advance:

4 March 10 -1

4 March 10 - 2

4 March 10 - 3

4 March 10 - 4

4 March 10 - 5

There's the links for now, will embed soon. The link on YouTube didn't work. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#121027 - 03/04/10 11:50 PM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: Scorp06]
Scorp06 Offline
Bantam

FYI. I changed from 2 to 3 fingers about a month ago and my ball is the first reactive ball I've every thrown and I bought it 6 days ago. Definitely still adjusting to the change and new ball.

#121032 - 03/05/10 12:47 AM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: Scorp06]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Maybe you could go back to 3 fingers now that you have a reactive ball. Just a thought. I will say you don't look too bad for someone not using their thumb. I'm not sure what you should change so I will leave it to those with more experience to give you that advice.

#121035 - 03/05/10 01:21 AM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: Jay R.]
Sevens Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/m/mn
Originally Posted By: Jay R.
Maybe you could go back to 3 fingers now that you have a reactive ball. Just a thought. I will say you don't look too bad for someone not using their thumb. I'm not sure what you should change so I will leave it to those with more experience to give you that advice.

I think he meant that he WAS bowling with 2 and is now bowling with 3.

#121036 - 03/05/10 01:27 AM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: Sevens]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
You still cradle the ball like a 2 finger release. This makes your whole swing muscled. Its not an easy thing to do to relax your swing, I am guilty myself.

#121040 - 03/05/10 01:46 AM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: desertdog71]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Oops, I mixed that up. Ignore my comment then.

#121061 - 03/05/10 09:35 AM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: Jay R.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I will also add that it looks like you are starting the ball to late in your approach. This is probably a byproduct of the old 2 finger habits. With the 2 fingers you had to start it later because most use a lot of muscle to pull the ball through the entire swing when only using 2 fingers. Now that you have the thumb in the ball relax your swing a little bit more and start the ball with your first step.

Right now your timing is about a half step late and its causing you to cut the swing off at the top of your back swing. If you start the ball at the same time as your first step you will be able to let the ball float to the top of swing much better.

One way to get the timing of the push away and first step down is to imagine there is a metal rod running from the bottom of the ball, through your hand and into your toe of your right foot. If you move the foot you have to move the ball, if you move the ball you have to move the foot.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#121068 - 03/05/10 11:05 AM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: sk8shorty01]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
I 2nd what sk8shorty01 wrote. Also extend your arm fully when doing the push away. Watch these videos

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#121118 - 03/05/10 08:09 PM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: spr3wr]
Scorp06 Offline
Bantam

Thanks a lot everyone!!! I will probably be going at the beginning of next week again since I have prior engagements this weekend. I think I'm worried about the relaxed swing because my instinct tells me that the ball will fall if I don't cup my wrist. I was worried about the ball speed but I think if I get a good push away and can get my timing down, the speed will fix itself. My biggest question is if there is a way to squeeze the ball anywhere to keep it from slipping on a relaxed swing. Do you apply pressure with your thumb, fingers, both, or none? Any help on this matter would be great. Those videos helped a lot, thanks!

#121140 - 03/06/10 07:51 AM Re: Scorp6 First Recording/Practice [Re: Scorp06]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
I think I'm worried about the relaxed swing because my instinct tells me that the ball will fall if I don't cup my wrist.

Quote:
My biggest question is if there is a way to squeeze the ball anywhere to keep it from slipping on a relaxed swing. Do you apply pressure with your thumb, fingers, both, or none?

If the ball is slipping from your hand you need to add tape to the thumb hole. You want to grip like you would to keep a bird from flying out of your hand if you had it's legs between your fingers and thumb. Meaning you use the pads so the nails don't dig in and hurt the bird and you don't squeeze so hard that you break it's legs.

If you put so much tape in the hole that you have to screw your thumb in the hole and it still feels like it is going to slip off then you need to start going forward toward the palm with your thumb pitch. Take the ball back to your driller and have him/her put a slug in the hole (if possible might have to plug), with 1/4" more forward thumb pitch than you are currently using, ie. if you have 3/8" reverse try 1/8 and so forth.

Before moving your thumb forward you need to make sure that your span is not stretched, some drillers like to stretch spans for what ever reason, most can't tell me why just that its how they've been doing it for blah blah years.

You can tell if your span is correct by placing your thumb in the ball and laying your fingers across the holes. The leading edge (side closest to the thumb) of the finger hole should be no longer than half way between the first and second knuckle of the middle and ring finger without stretching your hand, it should be relaxed. It can be a little shorter than that, but not shorter than one quarter from the second knuckle.

If you already have a ball you can tell if your span is right by putting your hand in the ball and see if the fingernails are pressing the back of the holes, a properly fit ball will not have the fingers pressing into the back of the hole.

On my equipment, I can put my thumb in first and still be able to put my fingers in the ball, I donít advocate bowling like this, but it is a good test to see if your span is too long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.