BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121026 - 03/04/10 11:34 PM Turning Early need some insight
JBenny Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: MD
A fellow bowler told me I am turning the ball early... It is a problem I was somewhat aware of but really noticed it tonite on slick conditions... My ball was really lacking drive tonite more than any night I can remember.. A lot of 2-8 10s, weak 10s, pocket 7-10... I knew something was off because I was hitting my spots at the arrows and breakpoint to no success...

I cant get the feeling back of not turning the ball until it passes my slide foot.. I can feel my hand is on the inside of the ball throughout the backswing but everything falls apart by me turning the ball a good foot or 2 before my slide foot... This early turn is even resulting in a mini chicken wing where I can feel my elbow kick out at release...

This didnt happen the entire night. I would string 4 together with a nice strong reaction and then the next shot my ball will slide past the head or leave a washout..

I was wondering if anyone has any mental thoughts during there swing , or physical drills that could help... I appreciate everyones help..

One quick note.. this problem has been lingering for a while but not to the extreme as it did tonite... Turning early is causing the mini chicken wing, my ball going too long, balance issues, and poor aim...

Edited by JBenny (03/04/10 11:39 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#121031 - 03/05/10 12:43 AM Re: Turning Early need some insight [Re: JBenny]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Patients on the down swing - don't help/push it to the release. The "Back-up" ball drill is good - aim for the 1-2 pocket.

~ John

#121037 - 03/05/10 01:29 AM Re: Turning Early need some insight [Re: ijohn83]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
Concentrate on the inside bend of your elbow staying aimed at your target.

#121042 - 03/05/10 01:52 AM Re: Turning Early need some insight [Re: desertdog71]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/ M / Wisconsin
I use to have this same problem. Still do if I don't mentally address it. What I do is try to keep my elbow in alignment with my chin, and my chin aligned to the left of my target. I also visualize extending my arm up and through the ball. I'm a cranker so this works for me.
15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#121070 - 03/05/10 11:58 AM Re: Turning Early need some insight [Re: puffer]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Here is the best drill I have found to fix release issues.

Stand at the line as if you were already posted on the shot, slide foot in front, trail leg behind you pointed away from your target and balance arm out. Let the ball dangle at your side and look down at your hand. Now move your hand to the position you want to be as the ball gets to that flat spot at the bottom of swing. Once you get there push the ball forward about a foot and a half and then relax. Continue to watch your release point and watch your hand as it stays in that position. Do this for about 30 shots and then try a full approach. If your release is still a little off, go back up to the line and do it again.

I have done this drill every day for the last 3 weeks and my rev rate has increased, accuracy of my tilt and axis of rotation has increased, and my overall release has cleaned up. This drill is a great way to get your mind to feel what you are trying to accomplish, and you can see the hand at release so you have a positive feedback that you were in the right spot.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#121075 - 03/05/10 12:13 PM Re: Turning Early need some insight [Re: sk8shorty01]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
This one I had to copy and paste. Don't have the problem currently...but it creeps in from time to time so I know I'll need it;)

Hell, I should record a lot of this stuff from all the folks here and make a mini-book for practice(just for me, mind you, not for sale) <g>

JBenny, don't know your style, but what's been posted so far covers a lot of people.

Edited by JackZ (03/05/10 12:17 PM)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#121077 - 03/05/10 12:17 PM Re: Turning Early need some insight [Re: JackZ]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: JackZ
Hell, I should record a lot of this stuff from all the folks here ...

I do that.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#121083 - 03/05/10 01:27 PM Re: Turning Early need some insight [Re: 10PinGaloot]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I also keep a notebook with me. It has notes on things I practice, things that work and things that didnt. It also has all of my bowlsk sheets from the beginning of me using the program.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.