BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120518 - 03/02/10 11:05 AM Dark Star Review
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 30/M/Orlando FL
Layout:
45 x 3 3/8 x 85
Hole 2 1/2 inches down VAL
Box Surface (1500 polished)

When laying the Dark Star out I was looking for something that would be very clean through the fronts without changing directions very quick off the dry so I could play a little straighter in league. I have used this layout before on a Mars and it worked really well, but was not quite strong enough for what I was looking for.

This ball turned out absolutely perfect! The first night in league I threw it I shot 248, 249, 259 for a 756 playing about 5 and 3 right of where I normally play in this center. The area that I had was absolutely ridiculous and the ball got through the pins so much better since I didn't have to use such wide angles through the fronts. Through the entire night I moved a total of 5 and 2 which is very little compared to the moves I normally make.

The Dark Star compliments the Nomad Series and Planet series very well. The Dark Star seems to match up better for higher rev players and for slower ball speeds. Another great release by Roto Grip!!

Jimmy Martin
Roto Grip Staff
Striking Advantage Pro Shop
Titusville FL

Edited by Admin (03/04/10 01:20 PM)
Edit Reason: Please don't post email addresses or phone numbers.
Titusville FL

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#120519 - 03/02/10 11:13 AM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Jimmy would you say stronger layouts on weaker balls are better for house patterns and help prevent over/under reaction, at least for high rev bowlers like yourself?

Edited by CoachJim (03/02/10 11:14 AM)

#120520 - 03/02/10 11:24 AM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: CoachJim]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Jimmy would you say stronger layouts on weaker balls are better for house patterns and help prevent over/under reaction, at least for high rev bowlers like yourself?

I use them alot, especially for higher rev players. It keeps the ball from being to angular and for myself it actually allows me to play closer to the track. This Dark Star worked even better than I though it would, I am highly impressed!
Titusville FL

#121172 - 03/06/10 01:46 PM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
How would you compare it to a Nomad Solid? In terms of boards with your feet, target and total hook on the lane? The reason I'm asking is do you think one would need another step in between those balls or could you go from one to the other with no problem?

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#121837 - 03/11/10 12:11 PM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: Smooth Stroker
How would you compare it to a Nomad Solid? In terms of boards with your feet, target and total hook on the lane? The reason I'm asking is do you think one would need another step in between those balls or could you go from one to the other with no problem?

They compliment each other extremely well. The Dark Star is not weak, do not let the price point of the ball fool you. The Vision cover is a pretty strong cover it was used in the high performance series in the Epics. It is alot cleaner than the Nomads and doesn't change direction as violently. Overall I would say about 3 to 5 boards different for most people. For myself, I do not throw the Nomads that much due to the high flaring core, but for my customers the Dark Star has been a great step down on a house pattern from the Nomad especially for the higher rev guys. Hope this helps ya.

Titusville FL

#122210 - 03/14/10 05:48 PM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
ewn51 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 62/m/ohio
I am going to need to replace my Hyroad, I am leftie, slower speed, lower revs. I like the Storm/Rotogrip line is this a possible replacement? My Hyroad is a 15# and would drop to 14#
but it is pretty battle scarred.
Prodigy 14# (Thanks Storm & Congratulations on the #1 Finish at the Battle of the Brands!)
Attitude Shift 14#
Hyroad 14#
Tropical Heat Silver/Black 14#
Fast 14#
Ice Storm 14#

#122241 - 03/14/10 11:09 PM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: ewn51]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
The Dark Star is a good bit weaker than the HyRoad. The Nomad Solid would probably be a better replacement, from Roto Grip's line.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#122309 - 03/15/10 01:30 PM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: cgeorg]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

I second that
Titusville FL

#122632 - 03/17/10 11:11 PM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
This ball seems to be a good fit for me for my league. My Hy-road (pin very high cg in) is a bit jumpy after the lanes break down. I would like something a bit more predictable and less jumpy. I know layout can solve this too but I have a good amount of hand in the ball and feel this could be a great fit. Are you going to add a video soon?

Edited by kwik8 (03/17/10 11:13 PM)

#122833 - 03/19/10 04:27 PM Re: Dark Star Review [Re: kwik8]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: kwik8
This ball seems to be a good fit for me for my league. My Hy-road (pin very high cg in) is a bit jumpy after the lanes break down. I would like something a bit more predictable and less jumpy. I know layout can solve this too but I have a good amount of hand in the ball and feel this could be a great fit. Are you going to add a video soon?

Matt is finishing this one up as we speak, look for it in the next day or so.
Titusville FL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.