BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119870 - 02/27/10 01:11 PM Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight
keoweestroker Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 64
Have three balls been rolling the past few weeks.

On the same lanes even in the middle of a practice sesssion, same game, (Quibeca) says the following.

16 lb [censored] Weber Rubber (15.2 mph)
15 lb Cell/Gamebreaker (14.5 mph)
14 lb Morich Ntense (13.7 mph)

All are finger tip drilled the same. Weber is straight others have arc so speed sensor may be a little off.

Do not try to ""horse"" any of the balls and think the back swing and release are the same. (Have taken some video)

Is this a case of gravity doing its thing?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#119893 - 02/27/10 03:26 PM Re: Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight [Re: keoweestroker]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I would say it's a case of going straight against hooking the ball. The straighter you bowl the faster the mph reading is going to be. When you hook the ball, the ball will slow down as it starts to hook and change direction. With the ball spinning one direction against the friction, that will cause the ball to slow down. I don't think your throwing it any faster or slower. I think it's an optical illusion.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#119953 - 02/27/10 08:18 PM Re: Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight [Re: Smooth Stroker]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
I would say it might be the surface on the balls. The more surface basically the more grip. The less surface(more polish) the more it will sail down the lanes at faster speed with same release.

If you drive a car fast on icy roads and it has brand new snow tires, and you slam on the brakes it will be going at a different speed than the one with bald tires as it slows down.

All balls are slowing down as they go through the transitions on the lanes. So the surface of the ball will affect this.

You could throw the same exact ball, with same drillings but three different surfaces, say one at 180 grit, one at 500 grit, and one at 4000 grit or with polish and more than likely you will get different ball speeds.

The weight will have some affect, however, in terms of gravity occasionally your ball speed will get faster if you are changing from a 16 to a 14 because you will be throwing the same with an object of lesser weight so speed control becomes an issue. I would say its surface that has the most affect on the balls.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#119955 - 02/27/10 08:24 PM Re: Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight [Re: evilash71]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Thanks, evil, for solving the mystery!
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#119957 - 02/27/10 08:32 PM Re: Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight [Re: 10PinGaloot]
evilash71 Offline

Well that would be my guess anyhow. I can throw a ball with 500 grit surface and try out say my columbia freeze with 4000 abralon and polish and the speed difference can be up to 2mph off my hand. So thats my guess.

Actually thats part of the problem when we leave corner pins, our ball isnt slowing down quickly enough.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#119958 - 02/27/10 08:36 PM Re: Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight [Re: evilash71]
evilash71 Offline

One last way to illustrate this. Take a 16lb spare ball, and a 16 lb say mutant cell and throw them exactly the same, straight down the lane. The Mutant Cell will grab as much as it can. The plastic ball will slide on through. So the Mutant Cell is trying to put on the brakes so to speak! Now take the Mutant Cell change the surface to 4000 abralon and put on some polish and watch the Mutant Cell gain some speed.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#119961 - 02/27/10 08:42 PM Re: Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight [Re: evilash71]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
Originally Posted By: evilash71
I can throw a ball with 500 grit surface and try out say my columbia freeze with 4000 abralon and polish and the speed difference can be up to 2mph off my hand.

You mean down lane?
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#119969 - 02/27/10 09:36 PM Re: Weird? - Ball Speed vs Ball Weight [Re: mikhial66]
evilash71 Offline

Yes. Down lane. I should have been more clear. That is accurate. The speed at the pins will be different. I really only think of my speed one way and not off hand vs at pins really. So my error. sorry.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.