BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119210 - 02/23/10 10:04 AM Carry Down and Heavy Oil
Hooker Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/M/Canton/Ludington/MI
I am a newbie still and learning as I go.....I have a couple of questions for you seasoned pros....

Carry down??? What or how is the best way to adjust to carry down??

The 2 leagues I bowl in very rarely see any type of heavy oil and normally the carrydown is easy to deal with. I bowled in a tourny on Friday and experienced the heaviest oil I have ever bowled on and the carry down just baffled me. Not only do I not own a heavy oil ball yet, but every adjustment I tried to make didn't work. I ended up basically moving all the way over to the last dot on the right of the approach and pretty much just chucked my ball with as much speed as I could and as straight as I could to get to the pocket....but we all know what happened by throwing that way.....no carry what so ever... Any other way I bowled, trying to hook it into the pocket, the ball would just sail away, no matter if I adjusted speed or revs, the same result...

Would a heavy oil ball have made a huge difference for me in that situtaion?

Also, how often do you guys come across heavily oiled lanes?

Current
AVG: 203 161
LHG: 249 167
LHS: 610 484

Book Avg: 171 (2010/11)
Career HG: 258 USBC
Career HS: 629 USBC
Year began bowling: Fall 2008

Storm HyRoad
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Storm Tropical Storm
Columbia 300 WD

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#119225 - 02/23/10 11:17 AM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: Hooker]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
for Carrydown I usually start with changing my axis rotation a little. getting your hand behind the ball a little more gives the ball more forward roll which will get the ball to move earlier. This allows me to stay in the same place with the same speed.
Slingshot

#119228 - 02/23/10 11:20 AM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: Hooker]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think when you have a lane with carry down you need to throw something a little more aggressive but controlled at the same time. I would stay away from anything snappy aggressive like the Cell Pearl, Bedlam, and so on and try to find something drilled to roll a little bit more early and something with good continuation. This would be something similar to the Cell Solid or Rogue Cell drilled with the PIN under your fingers. You could throw any of the aggressive solids in to that mix.

With carry down I find the best move is to move right and get outside of the carry down and play a "hook-set" type shot. You would send the ball down lane, allow it to hook up and then die out and roll into the pocket. The carry down will give you a little bit of a hang spot if the ball goes to cross over it will hold it just long enough to keep you out of trouble (hopefully).

Hope it helps!

Edited by sk8shorty01 (02/23/10 11:20 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar sucks
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#119275 - 02/23/10 04:11 PM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: sk8shorty01]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I find that when carrydown is an issue the heads have usually depleted to the point where the ball has lost some rotation before it hits the break point and doesn't have enough energy to turn the corner making it look like it hit a puddle of oil down lane when in fact it was hooking too early and hadn't came out of the oil yet.

When this happens going to a strong pearl or moving in to the fresh oil with the same ball and sending it out to the same spot or just inside of the original break point works.

#119309 - 02/23/10 08:25 PM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: CoachJim]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
I find that when carrydown is an issue the heads have usually depleted to the point where the ball has lost some rotation before it hits the break point and doesn't have enough energy to turn the corner making it look like it hit a puddle of oil down lane when in fact it was hooking too early and hadn't came out of the oil yet.

When this happens going to a strong pearl or moving in to the fresh oil with the same ball and sending it out to the same spot or just inside of the original break point works.

This is a good point and is something to pay attention too. If you see the ball begining to lose tilt early on the lanes you can be sure the heads are drying out. Other than CoachJim's advice, you can also play a similar line with the same ball but get taller in your approach allowing you to shorten the lane up a little bit. If you can release from a higher point and the ball goes 6 feet down the lane before it impacts the lane, you just cleared 6 foot of heads without having to be concerned with the ball hooking up early. The major issue is that you have to be sure you are clean through the ball, if not the ball will hop and either hydroplane on the oil or drive into the surface and lose rotation as well.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#119319 - 02/23/10 10:03 PM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: sk8shorty01]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
To better illustrate what I'm saying, let's say you are bowling on a 40ft pattern at the US Open this week, and it seems like you are hitting carry down.

What's happening is the ball has burned a dry spot at about 37 feet then turned into the oil again and skidded past where you wanted the ball to hook from but it will have lost some of hit's side rotation and didn't have enough left to turn the corner.

If you were to use a strong pearl it will not lose the axis rotation and make it to the original break point, or at least retain enough energy to make the turn back to the pocket. You can also open the shot up by moving in three or four boards with your feet and two or three with your target and use the same ball. This may give you some hold in the heavier oil to the inside and some recovery to the outside, more of each on a house pattern of course.

#119322 - 02/23/10 10:19 PM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: CoachJim]
xBreakx6505x Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/FL
I played on a house shot today with crap loads of carry-down, and quite frankly it [censored] me off, and I was forced to play a diagonal line. CoachJim what ball would you recommend for extreme carrydown, like for late night open bowling.

Edited by xBreakx6505x (02/23/10 10:19 PM)
#14 Storm Crossroad

High Game - 275
Average - 171

#119330 - 02/23/10 11:18 PM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: xBreakx6505x]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
At my level, what I can say about carrydown is that I hate the oily pindecks. Some weeks in league it's so bad that 5-pins and the back-row pins slide a good 15 boards on solid pocket hits without falling. Makes for some really slow bowling too, since the machine often has trouble picking them up.

#119387 - 02/24/10 01:02 PM Re: Carry Down and Heavy Oil [Re: beefers1]
TazDevil Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 25 / Male / Charlotte, Mi
I have nothing too add except, GREAT QUESTION ! I bowled a couple of weeks ago on heavy, heavy oiled lanes ! My ball felt soaked and wasn't hooking at all. So, as a leftie, I moved far left, changed my grip ( less rev-type grip ), chucked it over the 5-board and hit strikes like crazy. Not my way of bowling, but it worked, regardless. I just feel so dang sloppy throwing the ball like that ( sorry WRW ) ! laugh

Columbia Freeze ( My strike ball and spare ball ! Lol ! To poor right now to afford another ball )

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.