BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119008 - 02/21/10 01:57 PM Jordan Gives dad another whooping!
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Well after a session of single pin practice while waiting for Jordan to finish up with his coach, Jordan challenged me.

I started with a double to back to back 7-10 splits for him. I am feeling good right about now. But it didnt last long,He finishes with a 238 to my 203.

Ok well I missed a couple spares I shouldn't have so I challenge him this time. Big mistake I open the first 3 to finish with 182 to his 251. Time to order me a plastic for spares I am hooking my tropical (spare ball) way to much now
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#119025 - 02/21/10 05:29 PM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: Rocket]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
Ouch!!!

I am hoping and praying that my three boys grow up to love bowling, so eventually they can take me own, and destroy me.At the moment they seem to love all the novelty machines and snack food more, this is to lure them into bowling, although they do like the game as well.

Do u bowl any parent/child leagues, that would be fantastic experience that any parent would love.

I use a house plastic for my 4 and 7 pin spares (nice and straight, break wrist back,no dramas), which has somehow fallen into my bowling bag
Looseleftie

#119032 - 02/21/10 07:20 PM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: Rocket]
ewn51 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 62/m/ohio
One thing my son and I find a common ground on is bowling. He started bowling around 10 years old and I started at 55 guess that makes a difference. He usually whips me but once in a while I get him if he is having a bad night. Rocket looks like your a Storm guy I love my Ice Storm, I'm a lefty and I could'nt buy a 7/8 pickup, since I got the Ice in December I don't miss very often now great ball cheap price and it does hook if you need it. Bowl up a Storm
Prodigy 14# (Thanks Storm & Congratulations on the #1 Finish at the Battle of the Brands!)
Attitude Shift 14#
Hyroad 14#
Tropical Heat Silver/Black 14#
Fast 14#
Ice Storm 14#

#119046 - 02/21/10 09:37 PM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: ewn51]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

yeah we bowled in adult youth league last summer and a tourney this year, we have another tourney coming up hope his back can handle carrying dad again lol.

I love bowling with him as well as watching all the youth in his house and travel leagues. There is one kid in his house league that has the best form I have ever seen in a youth bowler. His avearge is only 158 just because he has a tendency to hurry occasionally. He has 3 299 games under his belt and quite a few 270+ but then he will roll a 120 something once he matures he is going to be great.
Mutant Cell

#119067 - 02/22/10 02:26 AM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: Rocket]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
See I'm the opposite. My dad will usually outscore me. I've gotten him on a few games and even in a few series. He has his way of doing it, and I'm still fine tuning mine. Well after 3 years I average around 180 so that's pretty decent. I think if I had a bit of coaching I would be get significantly better. I'm a little hesitant though. I have a rather different set of techniques that I use in combination with one another and I would really hate to have them throw out of sync. Plus there is the money so I guess I'll just have to hoof it and do what I can. Right now it seems that I need to figure out a new spare system and get more practice.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#119074 - 02/22/10 08:23 AM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Matrix900 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/m/Canton, OH
My dad and I are about even at bowling. He has been bowling for about 40yrs. He is around a 208 avg and I have been around 204. Only difference is when he shoots a bad game, it has a lot of splits but, when I shoot a bad game its usually because I'm missing makeable spares. He has the old school of hitting up on the ball. His layouts are almost all hook/set layouts. My layouts are all more control and I try to stay behind the ball and not hit up on it. I need 1 more ball for when I need to go around the lanes more. Higher pin with a longer pin-pap.
15lb White Dot

Current Avg 201

Career
Game - 288
Series - 755

Season
Game - 255
Series - 660

#119076 - 02/22/10 09:12 AM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: Matrix900]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
This year, i was considering getting my two eldest boys, 8 and 6 into league, trouble is, in past when i have introduced them into sports, they tend to drift away from them, and then have no further interest in them, eg tennis soccer... So with bowling I do not want them to begin and end their bowling within a year or so... I want them to want to do it as a life time activity...

When do u start your kids???? The risk of them losing interest after a while with my kids at least is pretty high, although they both play basketball for some time... Any thoughts on this, they are both small and slim for their age, and have trouble staying behind a 6lb ball in their backswing... Just curious, I'd love to bowl with them in a team one day.. It would be a dream!!!!!

#119084 - 02/22/10 10:11 AM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: looseleftie]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Loose. In answering your question... I exposed both of my kids early to different sports, but let themselves dictate which sports to try based on their interest level. They are 14 (girl) and 11 (boy) now but early on they both were playing soccer, baseball/softball and recreational bowling at different times.
Soccer fell by the wayside, and softball did also for the girl early on. But I never pushed and ultimately Emma wanted to rejoin softball again just a few years ago. She now is on the high school JV softball team.

For bowling, it was always just fun for them. J.R. took to it and wanted more, but I took it slow for several years. We bowled a lot of practice and he loved watching me bowl. He joined his first junior league last year's season (fall of 2008) and I probably should have let him join at least a year earlier. He loves the sport though and has a great swing and has loads of fun.
My daughter lost interest in bowling around 11 which was fine. She joined the junior league this year after watching J.R. have so much fun. They both love bowling in leagues and with the family now. My stepdaughter (21) and her boyfriend both joined into bowling also within the last year because everyone was having so much fun.

I guess what I am saying is, have them try now... and let them have fun. They can even lose interest for a bit, but if they learn fundamentals... and learn to love the game, they will come back to it. I wouldn't worry about them being small either. It is more learning the mechanics. If they learn the mechanics, they WILL be able to handle the ball and grow into heavier balls a lot more quickly because they know the proper mechanics.

Have fun, your kids are at a great age! smile

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#119194 - 02/23/10 06:52 AM Re: Jordan Gives dad another whooping! [Re: Vic44]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Loose with Jordan, it was kind of by accident. 3 years ago he went to a few bowling birthday parties and one of the parents remarked they couldn't believe he never bowled before.

That fall they asked Jordan if he wanted to join the league with their son and he did from there he was lucky enough to get in a league with good coaches then other coaches started volunteering to work with him.

During the whole process I have never put pressure on him to bowl better work harder or anything that would take the fun away.

Right now he still loves it an bowls 5 times a week. As far as the ages of your children go in Jordan league there is a junior division that starts at 6 years old and they have quite a few bowlers. One 9 year old moved to the senior division because he averages 165 doesn't hurt that his dad and grandfather own the alley lol.

Mutant Cell

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 07/05/20 10:18 PM
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - 07/05/20 08:43 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 07/03/20 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 06/24/20 02:10 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.