BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118786 - 02/19/10 07:49 PM trekguy video
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Ugh, I apologize for the video quality, or lack thereof. My first attempt, and obviously, I am clueless. nut

Re the video... 37 foot pattern... Nomad Solid. My hand position is not what I thought it was... my back swing is lower than I thought it was, and I didn't realize how far I was getting the ball out onto the lane. These shots were towards the end of a five game session, and I thought my swing felt pretty relaxed, and it was coming off of my hand like I want it to.

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#118797 - 02/19/10 09:46 PM Re: trekguy video [Re: trekguy]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Wow! How many strikes was that in a row, uncut?

The only thing I see - other than the giant hook of your Roto-Grip Nomad - is that you seem to not be letting the ball drop on the backswing. It seems to be dropping slowly, as though you were controlling the rate at which it's dropping. That might be why the height of the backswing isn't as much as you'd thought it was.

Nice going!
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#118809 - 02/19/10 11:20 PM Re: trekguy video [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
The reason you're throwing the ball so far out on to the lane is because when you get to the line, you're standing up instead of "sitting" and bending your knee. You can't expect to land the ball on the lane gently when you're releasing it from that height.

If you can stay down and get the ball on to the lane smoothly, you'll see a big change in ball reaction.

As for the video quality, next time don't rub vasoline on the camera lens wink The video makes it hard to tell, but from what I can see, it your swing doesn't look muscled or controlled.

#118812 - 02/19/10 11:41 PM Re: trekguy video [Re: Lefty]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
Is that camera supposed to look like that? That is really cloudy. Not to sound rude. I would check that out if I were you. thumbsup

#118815 - 02/20/10 12:00 AM Re: trekguy video [Re: Lefty]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

I didn't realize that I was standing up on it like that. brickwall One of the things I have been working on this season is to not bend so much at the waist.... I have had a habit of getting too low with my shoulders in the past. I felt that I was staying back more with the shoulders, which keeps my hand behind the ball better...ball reaction was actually pretty good, I thought, but would like to be smoother onto the lane. It doesn't help that the floor is so far down there. smile

I don't know what the deal is with the camera... didn't cost me much (clue), but I had used it outside a couple of times, and it was much better that it was today. Maybe it's one of those that needs more light?? I would love to hear from anyone with recording tips and/or camera recommendations.

SpareMe, hmmm, I don't think I was controlling the downswing... felt pretty free and easy. I have really long arms...maybe that makes it look slower. ??
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#118816 - 02/20/10 12:06 AM Re: trekguy video [Re: Fpurhe]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: NNBOWLING
Is that camera supposed to look like that? That is really cloudy. Not to sound rude. I would check that out if I were you. thumbsup

Yeah, I know, it's bad. Don't know what the deal is. I'm a total n00b with the digital camcorder... I just thought it was going to work like the Sony Hi-8 that I have... guess not. oops Maybe I just had some settings wrong (hoping).

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#118822 - 02/20/10 01:21 AM Re: trekguy video [Re: trekguy]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
Originally Posted By: trekguy
I don't know what the deal is with the camera... didn't cost me much (clue), but I had used it outside a couple of times, and it was much better that it was today. Maybe it's one of those that needs more light?? I would love to hear from anyone with recording tips and/or camera recommendations.

As someone who doesn't know [email protected] about how to help w/technique but who has to shoot video as part of his job, maybe I can still help a bit. smile

Trekguy, 3 questions for you:

1) How cold is it where you live?
2) How long had you had the camera outdoors before bringing it into the bowling center?
3) I saw you mentioned this was toward the end of 5 games, but how long had you had the camera indoors again before shooting?

I ask bc changes in temperature and humidity can play havoc w/a camera lens. If it gets super-cold here and I have to go from shooting outdoors for more than 1-2 minutes to shooting indoors w/in the next half-hour to an hour, the lens will fog up. It looked like the lens was fogged up by a quick change in conditions from cold and dry to warmer and more humid.
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#118828 - 02/20/10 03:23 AM Re: trekguy video [Re: MikeHL]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
First let me say you look pretty good. Judging by your form and all those strikes, I'd say you have the potential to average 210-220. Looking at your signature you are probably a little lower though.

Aside from the lack of knee bend, the only other thing that I see could probably use some fixing is that you rear up a little at the line. Looks like you throw the ball well though.

#118840 - 02/20/10 08:11 AM Re: trekguy video [Re: trekguy]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: trekguy
I didn't realize that I was standing up on it like that. brickwall One of the things I have been working on this season is to not bend so much at the waist.... I have had a habit of getting too low with my shoulders in the past. I felt that I was staying back more with the shoulders, which keeps my hand behind the ball better...ball reaction was actually pretty good, I thought, but would like to be smoother onto the lane. It doesn't help that the floor is so far down there. smile

I know what you mean, I bent a lot at the waist and am still working on not doing it and having more of a knee bend. There is a difference between getting low bending at the waist and low with a nice deep knee bend. Obviously the knee bend is better and easier on the back.

Originally Posted By: Amateur
Aside from the lack of knee bend, the only other thing that I see could probably use some fixing is that you rear up a little at the line. Looks like you throw the ball well though.

I think the lack of knee bend and that rear up go hand in hand. The lack of knee bend can actually cause a bowler to rear up at the release.
HS:763

#118849 - 02/20/10 10:32 AM Re: trekguy video [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Wow, was it foggy in that bowling alley. Yes you stand up at the line. you also do some kind of hand turn in your backswing. other than that, the results were pretty good. The lack of knee bend kind of goes hand in hand with the standing up at the line. I don't have a great knee bend either, but my long arms helps me get the leverage on the ball. The last time I tried to get more knee bend, my knee was killing me afterwards.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.