BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118824 - 02/20/10 02:58 AM Help improve my release
Cory Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Male, Los Angeles, California
Ok, so I'm just starting to get serious about bowling again. I'm looking to improve my relase, axis tilt/rotation and rev's.

Hopefully, after I fix a few things, I'll join another league.

Thanks, and try not to be too harsh.

Cory

Release
Storm Reign - Dual Angle: 60 x 3.5 x 40

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#118832 - 02/20/10 06:08 AM Re: Help improve my release [Re: Cory]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Belgium
you are not making it easy to see what your hand is doing, you can just see it pass for a blink of a second before the ball hits the lane.

Revs look pretty decent tho, wish i had that many revs smile

#118847 - 02/20/10 10:15 AM Re: Help improve my release [Re: spectral]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
After trying to slow down the video, it seems like your grabbing the ball. Is your thumb straight in the thumb hole? I saw you loft the second shot and bounce the first shot. Two different release points and two different results. The ball isn't landing on the lane like an airplane ( like John Jowdy always says ). If you want to increase revs, then you would need to stay behind the ball longer. If you do that, the thumb would exit the ball first and the fingers would provide the extra revolutions you seem to be asking for.
It really wasn't easy to slow down the video. Low frame rate.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#118958 - 02/21/10 03:39 AM Re: Help improve my release [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Cory Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Male, Los Angeles, California
Here is another vid from behind in slow motion.

Slow Motion

Sorry for the quality, its a pocket video camera and only does 30fps.

@spectral - yeah, sorry about that. I really wanted to focus only on my hand position at the release to see what I was really doing.

@Smooth Stroker - I used to have to grab my ball all the time in order to hang on to it. I just got this ball and had my span adjusted, so now it coming off much smoother. I have a really small hand, so its really hard to see my thumb coming out, but it is. I'm also trying to work on the "airplane landing," as I've always had trouble with this...any suggestions?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Edited by Cory (02/21/10 03:40 AM)

#118969 - 02/21/10 08:05 AM Re: Help improve my release [Re: Cory]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Cory, you are clearly releasing on the side of the ball. You can stop either vid at the release and see that. You get your revs from the upward pull of your fingers.

Just let the ball roll off your fingers with your hand behind the ball. As the ball is on your fingers, then rotate your hand so fingers turn from 6 o'clock to 4 o'clock and it does the same thing, but easier.

You are getting close to a 90* axis rather one more like 45*.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#118972 - 02/21/10 08:50 AM Re: Help improve my release [Re: Cory]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You are doing many things that are preventing you from having a consistent release.

1. You are moving the ball before you even take a step
2. You don't have a swing, you just pull the ball back then yank it through.
3. You finish 4 feet behind the foul line.

Watch all of these videos and work on everything they talk about in every video and post another slow mo shot from behind when you are ready. http://www.nextlevelbowling.com/page.php?page_id=9

#119017 - 02/21/10 03:34 PM Re: Help improve my release [Re: CoachJim]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I agree with CoachJim. Before you can have a good release, you have to get to that point the right way with your body, hand and ball in the right place. A large part of a release is everything that you do before you get there.

#119383 - 02/24/10 12:13 PM Re: Help improve my release [Re: Lefty]
Scorp06 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 24/M/DE
CoachJim, I just want to say thank you for posting those videos! Great videos there and some things that us self-taught bowlers NEED to know!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.