BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 15 of 17 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130224 - 06/18/10 09:39 AM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I should be on a plane to Reno in about 8-9 hours. I took some time last night to do a light resurfacing of all my equipment. Just about packed and ready to go. 108 good shots, one at a time, that's my goal.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#130228 - 06/18/10 10:20 AM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Good Luck to you Joe and Your team. Let us know how it goes.

#130439 - 06/21/10 10:44 AM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: CoachJim]
Joe Bowler Offline

I got back from Reno late last night. If not for winning a little money playing blackjack, the entire trip would have been a bust.

The adventure began when I arrived in Reno, and my bowling equipment was nowhere to be found. It was eventually tracked down, and delivered to my hotel just one hour before I had to bowl. Needless to say, I was not in the best frame of mind when I took to the lanes.

My strategy of lining up over 10 board and just changing balls failed miserably. While the pattern graph may be the same as last year, the lanes played a lot differently. There seemed to be a lot more oil outside, making the lanes play more like a reverse block. I was the only lefty on each pair, so no help watching other lefties' ball reaction, or teaming up to open the shot.

I persisted with the 10 board strategy for the entire team event, then for doubles, took the most aggressive ball I had with me, a Mutant Cell, and rolled it up 2 and 3 board for 3 games straight, hoping to create a little area to the outside. It never happened.

By the time I bowled singles, I had given up on finding an intelligent solution to playing the pattern, and had my best set rolling my plastic spare ball straight and hard up 15. I actually won a few brackets with that approach.

My experience is that nobody, and I mean nobody, bowls 800 without some help from the lanes. But, that is the risk you take when bowling a multi-day/squad event. When I think about next year, I am undecided whether it is worth all the hassle and expense.

#130444 - 06/21/10 11:20 AM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Sorry you didn't do well. What squad did you have for singles and doubles, fresh oil or did you follow another squad, (not that it matters if you don't follow any other left handers).

What happened when playing up the 10 board with the mutant?

#130445 - 06/21/10 12:00 PM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
"Many have been humbled. Few have come home rich."

Those were the words of my Doubles partner.

I agree. Thanks for BlackJack.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#130446 - 06/21/10 12:45 PM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tsmith Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 38/M/NJ; NJ
We had a lefty on our squad that had a tough time as well...then again we all struggled. I played 9-10 and started out well with 4 strikes in my first 6 frames, then my ball stopped moving and I tried straight up 8-9 with no success.

I was using an OOB Total Bedlam and if I had to do it over again I would have changed the surface or went with something different because the TB was skidding too much.

I joined a summer league at a new center I havent bowled in about 10 years and started having the same issue on a longer pattern. It obviously isnt Reno but after switching to a Hammer Raw Jacked and having success Im thinking next year I will be changing the surface down to 500 on whatever I bring.

#130451 - 06/21/10 02:00 PM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: CoachJim]
Joe Bowler Offline

Quote:
What squad did you have for singles and doubles, fresh oil or did you follow another squad, (not that it matters if you don't follow any other left handers).

I bowled team at 2:30pm on Saturday, and singles and doubles at 7:00am on Sunday.

Quote:
What happened when playing up the 10 board with the mutant?

Each ball had a similar reaction, just different hook shapes. Essentially, it was tough to hit the pocket with misses being amplified by the extra oil outside. But worse, pocket hits were not carrying. Being lefty, most of my leaves were either 7-pins or 6-pins. Small adjustments were not effective. If I was leaving the 7-pin, a half-board adjustment would leave the 6-pin, and vice-versa. Then, the shot would change slightly, and I would have to start chasing it all over again.

In retrospect, I believe I needed to be deeper and straighter on the lane with a more angular ball. The bowler in our group of 15 that did the best was a righty rolling a Virtual Energy over 15 out to 10, with a sharp break on the back end. I tried it with my Nomad Solid the last four frames of singles, and actually carried a couple light hits.

#130452 - 06/21/10 02:21 PM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

The back ends on a sport pattern dictate how to play the lanes. If someone misses outside on a house pattern the ball will grab and hook back to the pocket, where on a sport compliant pattern like what they have at the nationals, every ball will make it to the end of the pattern on fresh oil and then react to the friction on the back end.

If you miss 1/2 board wide and the ball hangs and hits light and you leave a bucket or a weak corner and moving in 1/2 board leaves you the 4 or 6, that's telling you to do exactly what you said and move in and play a wider angle and give the ball more time to burn off the excess energy that's leaving the 4 or 6. Unlike a house pattern there is not so much oil in the middle that the ball will not make it back, so moving in will still get the ball to the break point and the ball will hook back to the pocket, and hopefully carry.

One more thing about reading the break point on sport conditions, dull balls will not cover as many boards as shiny ones and will lose energy quicker. Remember on heavy oil every reactive ball will make it to the end of the pattern, it's what it does from there to the pocket that tells you if you should use the ball and where you should stand.

Try and recruit some more lefties to help you break the shot down quicker, you will still have to move in, but it will give you a board maybe two at the 10 board range finder at 43ft.

Best of Luck next year.

#130453 - 06/21/10 02:40 PM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Sounds like your ball had the wrong entry angle, regadless of where you stood. The bowler with the VE had a better time, yet, it's not know as an oiler ball.

That's what I found. My VG would leave a pin on every hit because of its snappy backend. Yet, when I switched to a mid-oil type of ball, the entry angle carried.

Entry had to be closer to 2-4 degrees than 4-6 degrees.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#130454 - 06/21/10 02:43 PM Re: 2010 USBC Open Championships [Re: CoachJim]
Joe Bowler Offline

Thank you for all for the good feedback. Once again, I am reminded that it is good to have a game plan, but, it is more important to read the actual ball reaction and adjust.

Page 15 of 17 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.