BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118092 - 02/15/10 02:51 AM Eugene McCune
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
On his TV shows it seems like he's just chucking the ball right at the pocket... what are the advantages and disadvantages of that style? It obviously works very well for him, so something must be right. Does he get a lot of revs normally?

And, HOLY **** he throws that spare ball faster than Sean Rash does! And he looks like he has no balance or form on his spare shots.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#118102 - 02/15/10 07:43 AM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: beefers1]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
He is actually very versatile. He can throw the big hook as well. That's the reason he stays on tour. Looks are deceiving. Walter Ray says that it's easier to stay in the same spot and just throw harder and keep striking than it is to make other adjustments and try to find a new strike zone. I think what you are seeing is McCune adding more speed and staying in one zone. Obviously he has a much higher gear than most of us do. I saw him on xtra frame and he didn't look like a banshee to me at first. But if you saw him later on, he was blazing the ball down the lane.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#118103 - 02/15/10 07:43 AM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: beefers1]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
His rev rate is in the high 300s. And he will jump from 2nd arrow to 6th arrow in qualifying... he was one of the first bowlers to stand in front of the ball return and loft the gutter caps.

Even Walter Ray played 6th arrow this week... What you see bowlers doing on TV, when there are only 4 or 5 bowlers only bowling 4 or 5 games and breaking them down the way they want to in practice, is not what they do during the week, when they have 4 people per pair bowling 10 to 14 games before the lanes are reoiled.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#118107 - 02/15/10 08:29 AM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
OK, I didn't watch. But, there are only 7 arrows. You start counting from your ball side. So, that means he was 10 boards off the opposite side of the lane? Or, 2nd arrow opposite?

How is this possible?

300 rev rate from the 10 board opposite has to rely on a tremendous slide and plenty of speed. If this is what bowling is going to, we may as well just do Curling and slide a stone on ice.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#118121 - 02/15/10 09:30 AM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: Dennis Michael]
cgeorg Offline

If that is where the head oil is, that's where you have to play. For some like Fagan, they can just hit it a little more at the bottom. For those like Walter Ray, he has to slow it down and get around it more. And, you generally play a breakpoint closer to the headpin, and go for a slightly higher hit, because you will get more deflection.

#118125 - 02/15/10 10:17 AM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: Dennis Michael]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

300 rev rate from the 10 board opposite has to rely on a tremendous slide and plenty of speed. If this is what bowling is going to, we may as well just do Curling and slide a stone on ice.

Curling is my favorite winter olympic sport and I would recomend all bowlers try it at lest once. Very cool.
Slingshot

#118128 - 02/15/10 10:50 AM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: Handful]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I tried it. It really hurt in the backswing.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#118208 - 02/15/10 09:33 PM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: Dennis Michael]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

Yeah, I noticed WRW standing all the way left and really hooking it during the USBC Masters. Amazing how well he does like that.

It's still really fun watching McCune throw that spare ball. All hell goes loose when he lets it go. I saw that show where he won his title and his last spare ball was clocked at 30+ mph, apparently. I wonder how accurate he generally is.

#118226 - 02/15/10 11:25 PM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: beefers1]
cgeorg Offline

Randy says he's one of the best spare shooters on tour...

#118230 - 02/16/10 12:03 AM Re: Eugene McCune [Re: cgeorg]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

So I guess the excessive ball speed isn't an issue like it is for Sean Rash. Then again, Robert Smith is also a great spare shooter and look how fast he throws it. Except Smith seems to be a lot more stable and balanced at the foul line on his spare shots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.