BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118020 - 02/14/10 11:20 AM Rubberband Duckpin Bowling
Ryan Lepore
Unregistered

If those on this site are not aware of rubberband duckpin bowling, or knows what it is. I'll show you. Rubberband duckpin bowling was invented in Baltimore, Maryland in the 1930's. And came out of 1900 duckpins. It doesn't exist in Maryland anymore. But spread out in Pennsylvania, but then most of them died out in that state. But there's probably 1 rubberband duckpin bowling alley in Pennsylvania left. But it is now in lots of places in Quebec, Canada played by the French-Canadians now. I heard that there's a French-Canadian named Denis Lynch that's a professional rubberband duckpin bowler, and he bowls on competitions on TV in Quebec. The English speaking Canadians call them just plain "duckpins." But the French-Canadians call rubberband duckpins "Petites Quilles" meaning "small skittles" in French. "Petites>small", "Quilles>skittles.' Petites Quilles is pronounced "PEHR-TEE KEE." But rubberband duckpins are only a very small minority game in the world, and maybe confined in Quebec from now on.

This is what Rubberband Duckpins look like:

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#118021 - 02/14/10 11:28 AM Re: Rubberband Duckpin Bowling [Re: ]
Ryan Lepore
Unregistered

Here is a YouTube video of rubberband duckpin bowling. I also forgot to mention that they come in a set of ten.

#118027 - 02/14/10 12:47 PM Re: Rubberband Duckpin Bowling [Re: ]
kwik8 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/Myrtle Beach SC
Those guys had some good accuracy, interesting that they release the ball in that way. They all do it though so apperently that is what works. More strikes than I would have figured.

http://bowlingwithchris.blogspot.com/

#118048 - 02/14/10 04:48 PM Re: Rubberband Duckpin Bowling [Re: kwik8]
Dr. Seuss Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Brattleboro, VT
I had a chance to bowl rubberband duckpins last year. The lanes have a slight concave grove to them, the center of the lane is lower than the edges. An employee proved this to us by rolling a ball at the 10 pin it drifted all the way to the 7 pin edge and was back to the middle of the lane before the lane ended. He also said that scores are almost the same as tenpin bowling.
15# Captain Midnight

Average - 215
High Single - 278
High Series - 733 (248-245-240)

#118053 - 02/14/10 05:36 PM Re: Rubberband Duckpin Bowling [Re: Dr. Seuss]
Ryan Lepore
Unregistered

The secret Dr. Seuss of bowling rubberband duckpins, is to roll the ball with your palm facing down while holding it. And rolling it slowly. So you can be able to make the strike. Denis Lynch who runs his YouTube videos showing him bowling on the Quebec TV competitions said to fans on his comments submissions on YouTube that you have to roll the ball slowly to knock down the pins. If you try to hit them hard like in candlepins, you'll hrdly knock a pin down. That's what he said. And you also play rubberband duckpins exactly like ten pins. You only roll 2 balls, and no deadwood allowed. And you keep score exactly like ten pins. Someone asked Denis Lynch if you can bowl rubberbands by holding the ball with your palm facing up. And he said to him, you can if you want. But I only see Lynch and all of the other rubberband bowlers bowl with the palms facing down.

#118069 - 02/14/10 09:37 PM Re: Rubberband Duckpin Bowling [Re: ]
Dr. Seuss Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Brattleboro, VT
I watched a lot of the you tube videos prior to bowling rubber ducks. I found it interesting why that it is the perferred method. If there are no rules barring a palm up release I am surprised there are not a few good bowlers that use that method. Then again two handed release in tenpins has only just recently come into the public eye.

I used the palm facing down method when I bowled rubberband duckpins, and it is a lot harder than it looks. I doubt the secret to bowling well is that method. At the end of the last game I bowled I went to my candlepin release and I believe it would have been easy to score a 200 string. I will be bowling rubber ducks again in a couple of months, I will let you know how it went.

Just so you know I used to carry a 130 average in candlepins several years ago, and I have thrown a 200 string in regular duckpins. I have had an interest in all forms of bowling for my entire life, and I am familar with all the rules that govern all the disiplines of bowling. Hopefully in the next couple of years I will get a chance to get over in the Toronto area to give five pins a try.

Edited by Dr. Seuss (02/14/10 09:39 PM)
15# Captain Midnight

Average - 215
High Single - 278
High Series - 733 (248-245-240)

#118076 - 02/14/10 11:04 PM Re: Rubberband Duckpin Bowling [Re: Dr. Seuss]
Ryan Lepore
Unregistered

Last summer, I was bowling for free at my league's banquet after the last week of my summer league at Collin's Bowladrome in Billerica, MA. But I was just practicing shots without scoring. And I was trying to bowl the regular duckpins with the rubberband duckpin releasing technique with the ball with my palm facing down. And I was getting it down the middle of the lane, and I was making a lot of strikes easily with it and rolling the ball slowly. And it works!!! The ball was spinning toward me while going toward the pins, and then it changed its spinning course towards the pins in the middle of the lane. I was even making a lot of spares, and ten boxes with it too. It was better than releasing the ball. A lot of times when I release the ball with my palm facing up, and hitting the pins harder, it doesn't do the trick.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - Yesterday at 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - Yesterday at 03:37 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - Yesterday at 02:58 PM
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:18 AM
Changing a polished ball
by Fin09 - 10/23/14 10:22 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/23/14 06:22 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/22/14 10:28 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
1500 abralon pad
by Dave800 - 10/19/14 07:58 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.