BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117084 - 02/07/10 05:25 PM new videos
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Belgium
Went for practice today.

Went horrible. I can't keep my pace down when approaching on the lane, the last 2 steps are still very short quick steps. I can't seem to keep my wrist cupped or stay behind the ball whatever i seem to try...

Tried to throw a few backup balls, some seemed to roll straight up so i thought i was getting close but judging by the movie i was nowhere to close lol.

did a few no thumb deliveries but i seem to get around the ball way too much even when throwing with no thumb.

Any drills i can do to make things better?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#117096 - 02/07/10 07:16 PM Re: new videos [Re: spectral]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
You are forcing the snot out of the ball, especially from the top of the backswing. That's why you can't stay behind it on the no thumb, and why you can't stay under it with your standard delivery. Also, if your fit was correct, that 2nd shot on the last video never would have happened. That's a pretty clear indication of squeezing, which is general caused by an incorrect grip. And, in order to fix the grip, you need to eliminate the squeeze - let the ball fly off your hand in the backswing, to prove to yourself that the fit is wrong. Then, work on the fit until you can't get it to fly off your hand.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#117141 - 02/08/10 04:35 AM Re: new videos [Re: cgeorg]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

The ball cannot fly off my hand in the backswing, my thumbhole is really really snug. I know a lot of people say this thinking there thumbhole is snug and it really isn't... but i'm confident mine is. I can let my bal hang on my hand (without cupping it), and waggle it a few times before it gets loose from the thumb. I used to grab my bal all the time so sometimes it's just stronger than myself and i grab the ball by my ankle giving the result you just saw. I only threw the ball that far once in over 50 throws.

I agree that i'm squeezing but it's not because my fit is off, it's just a lack of trust from my side that the ball will hang onto my hand.

I also know i am forcing my ball, i can feel it myself... Problem is i can swing my ball pretty freely when not at the lane but i can't seem to do so when i am at the lane.

i'm getting a thumbhole drilled 1/4 forward next week or so, maybe that will help with the trust (i was using 0 yesterday)

#117155 - 02/08/10 08:22 AM Re: new videos [Re: spectral]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
I agree that i'm squeezing but it's not because my fit is off, it's just a lack of trust from my side that the ball will hang onto my hand.

If the ball fit properly you wouldn't have to squeeze and if you did squeeze the ball it would go through the ceiling.

You are starting the ball off to the right. Try keeping the ball and your head in line with the target.

#117171 - 02/08/10 10:26 AM Re: new videos [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Try a couple of games of 1 step drills to get comfortable letting the ball swing in the context of a bowling alley. Then, 2 step drills. Then, 3 step drills. The key is that you can't be doing your normal approach, or your muscle memory will take over.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#117173 - 02/08/10 10:49 AM Re: new videos [Re: cgeorg]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

ok, i'll try that next time

do most of the people here use forward pitch in their thumbhole?

#117734 - 02/12/10 07:52 AM Re: new videos [Re: spectral]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

just for the fun of it i calculated the revs and speed of my no thumb spare ball throw (#1) through bowlspot.com.

i calculated 360RPM's and 14.7MPH. Is that possible?

Does the amount of revs you throw thumbless mean anything to what amount you can reach bowling with thumb? Or is this totally neglectible and can anyone throw super revs thumbless?

#117740 - 02/12/10 08:30 AM Re: new videos [Re: spectral]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Anyone can put a ton on the ball thumbless, but that doesn't mean you can't get to 340RPM's with your thumb in the ball. There are pro's that get over 500RPM's with their thumb in the ball.

What's standing between you and that is lessons, practice and time.

#117742 - 02/12/10 08:54 AM Re: new videos [Re: Lefty]
spectral Offline
Action Bowler

lessons, practice, time, ... agreed BUT

i'm sure some of it is just natural talent. I'm sure there are a lot of people that take bowling very serious that just cannot get up to that highest level just because the lack of talent for it.

i can get over 500RPM's as well without the thumb, i was just trying to let the ball fall off my hand in the movie while staying behind it. Which miserably failed anyway. I know there are moment when i can keep my hand more behind the ball thumbless and at those times i can almost double the revs on it.

I was just wondering if this meant anything at allin relation to how much revs you can generate with the thumb in.

Because i throw thumbless with 1 hand, i don't use the other hand for balance or support, so all of the weight is on 1 wrist. I know a lot of people that do not have the wrist strength to do that so i thought being able to do this kind of release might tell something about the potential release you could have.

if that makes any sense at all

#117743 - 02/12/10 09:00 AM Re: new videos [Re: spectral]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
No, it has no relation. If you expect to get there today, tomorrow or by the end of the year, you're going to be disappointed. My advice to you is to stop worrying about how many revs you have and start focusing on getting your ball to fit properly and working on the fundamentals. Revs are a byproduct of doing lots of other things right. Work on that and the revs will come. Keep focusing on the revs and you're going to be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by BOSStull - Today at 10:05 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.